Most sensitive JDM rod for crappie?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
darrin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Most sensitive JDM rod for crappie?

Post by darrin » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:29 am

Happy New Year everyone!

I was wondering if anyone has any opinions on the most sensitive JDM rod that is out there. I know sensitivity is very subjective, but just wanted to get some ideas of what is available.

I'm looking for a dedicated rod for winter crappie and was looking at a St Croix Legend Panfish series rod. The winter bites are very subtle and I need all the help I can get. We fish vertically. My buddy uses an older Legend rod and he absolutely loves that rod. But being on this web site, I just have to ask myself, what are some of the JDM options I should also consider? I do have a F0-68X from Megabass that works for me, but wanted to upgrade.

Any suggestions is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Darrin

Craigthor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Most sensitive JDM rod for crappie?

Post by Craigthor » Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:03 am

Alphahawk would be a good one to ask, I’d say one of the Ajing or Light Game Rods. The Corto seems to be a sleeper of a rod I’ll have one to compare to my upper end rod here end of the week.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:32 pm

Definitely take this to the fishing and techniques/ultralight forum. You will get the best advice and your wallet will soon get much lighter.
This is the way.

Craigthor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craigthor » Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:28 pm

poisonokie wrote:... your wallet will soon get much lighter.
So that’s why it keeps trying to float away.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:38 pm

:laugh1:
This is the way.

darrin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by darrin » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:29 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. I actually found some old posts from Alphahawk on a crappie board.

The wallet's already light, but hey, when you play with fire, you will be burned! Sometimes I think I don't need the high end stuff, but I hate being outgunned and also, they're just really nice to look at lol.

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HobeyBaker » Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:31 pm

I have no idea how you fish for winter crappie, but my ice rods are way more sensitive than a traditional rod. They are built on solid carbon blanks whereas traditional rods are built on a hollow blank.

jdbassman32
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jdbassman32 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:39 pm

I use the Megabass Hedgehog Evolution quite often. This year my Addermine pulled some double duty and worked very well. The lake I fish has alot of laydowns, so we often use 8# test to pull the hook free and straighten so you do not spend the day retying.