Looking for a rod recommendation (shakey head, weightless worms, jerkbaits)

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Looking for a rod recommendation (shakey head, weightless worms, jerkbaits)

Post by freelancer27 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:25 am

Hi all,

I am in the need for a new rod to cover the techniques of:

* Shakey head (up to 3/8 oz)
* Weightless plastics (up to 3/8)
* Different kinds of jerkbaits (1/4 - 3/8)

Planning to pair this with an adequate reel (prob Aldebaran MGL) and 10 # fluro.

Do you guys have any recommendation here that for below 300 USD?

Thanks all!
Last edited by freelancer27 on Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Looking for a rod recommendation (shakey head, weightless worms, jerkbaits)

Post by DavidSA » Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:35 am

For the shakey and weightless worm, the NRX 893 is king in my hand. 12# FC ideal but it will protect 10#. the jerkbait though is something I throw on a 6'3 to 6'6 rod more so for retrieve. I could live with the 893 but not sure the length would ever suite me on the jerkbait. Before the 893, I was a long time NRX803 owner. Better at the jerkbait but then the length is gone on the senko or shakey.

the rod I might like for all three would be the Kistler HE3 6'9mh exfast or a 7M if I could get it in xfast.

jerkbait22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jerkbait22 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:29 am

I personally use an Avid 6'8 Medium Extra Fast for the plastics use you mentioned. Can also use it for jerkbaits if necessary but I prefer fast or mod-fast for jerkbaits. You'll lose some fish with the x-fast action on the jerkbait. I'd think if you want to do both on one rod then a fast action, medium power rod may be the best tradeoff.

There are some youtuber's who recommend the Expride 6'10 Medium fast action for jerkbait fishing. I've never fished them but seems to me like it could be a good option just within your budget.

jmd_143
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jmd_143 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:54 am

I have a 6'10 MF Shimano Expride. Its an awesome rod. Probably the best Jerkbait rod I have used. I usually run 10-12 lb flouro on it in the spring for Jerkbaits. Once the Jerkbait bite starts to die off, I will spool up 20-30lb braid and use this rod for light trigs/shakey heads and topwater baits, adjusting leader accordingly. Highly recommend this rod if you can get your hands on one!

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:17 pm

jmd_143 wrote:I have a 6'10 MF Shimano Expride. Its an awesome rod.
I have the 7'2ML BFS expride, I'm hoping it will work in similar applications to the 610. Couldn't find that 6'10 in stock anywhere lol...

Revofisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Revofisher » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:37 pm

ill second the 6'10 med expride it is a great feeling jerkbait rod and pretty good at many things in the lighter side of the spectrum.

Heddonfrog
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Heddonfrog » Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:03 pm

DavidSA wrote:For the shakey and weightless worm, the NRX 893 is king in my hand. 12# FC ideal but it will protect 10#. the jerkbait though is something I throw on a 6'3 to 6'6 rod more so for retrieve. I could live with the 893 but not sure the length would ever suite me on the jerkbait. Before the 893, I was a long time NRX803 owner. Better at the jerkbait but then the length is gone on the senko or shakey.

the rod I might like for all three would be the Kistler HE3 6'9mh exfast or a 7M if I could get it in xfast.
For the techniques he’s specifying the HE3 in the Light-MH fast would work better. My 6-9 HE3 is fine pitching the baits in the weights he’s talking about but it’s way too fast for any accurate overhead/sidearm casting for distance with lighter baits and definitely not a rod I’d grab for jerkbaits, unless I had and unlimited supply of replacement trebles handy. I think the HE3 Light Med/Hvy would be perfect and he/we just missed out on a 40% off sale. By the time I went to look at what was available most everything was gone but they’ll restock. Here’s the TT review that turned me on to my H3

http://tackletour.com/reviewkistlerhelium3castrod.html

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:42 pm

I say Major Craft MSX 65ML/Reg Fast it's rated 3/16-1/2, 8-14#. Awesome for all the techniques you've listed. They're still available, but becoming scarce. Check Shimreels and JDM Tackle Heaven.

There's also a 6'9 ML bfs version, but I've never fished it and it's only rated to 3/8.
This is the way.

i_am_R2
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by i_am_R2 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:50 pm

Heddonfrog wrote:
DavidSA wrote:For the shakey and weightless worm, the NRX 893 is king in my hand. 12# FC ideal but it will protect 10#. the jerkbait though is something I throw on a 6'3 to 6'6 rod more so for retrieve. I could live with the 893 but not sure the length would ever suite me on the jerkbait. Before the 893, I was a long time NRX803 owner. Better at the jerkbait but then the length is gone on the senko or shakey.

For the techniques he’s specifying the HE3 in the Light-MH fast would work better. My 6-9 HE3 is fine pitching the baits in the weights he’s talking about but it’s way too fast for any accurate overhead/sidearm casting for distance with lighter baits and definitely not a rod I’d grab for jerkbaits, unless I had and unlimited supply of replacement trebles handy. I think the HE3 Light Med/Hvy would be perfect and he/we just missed out on a 40% off sale. By the time I went to look at what was available most everything was gone but they’ll restock. Here’s the TT review that turned me on to my H3

http://tackletour.com/reviewkistlerhelium3castrod.html
x2 on the HE3 Light Med/Hvy, I use mine for the same techniques you listed. Great rod in my opinion.

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:16 pm

surprised it is fast enough. My only HE3 is the 7'3H xfast and I would say it is fast. I was under impression that a fast action might be too slow for bottom bouncing.

On the jerkbait, I fish a old Gloomis IMX 782 xfast. One of those rods that is fast at best and it is perfect for a jerkbait IMO. However, I don't like fishing a plastic on it. I think one rod to do both duties requires compromise.

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:53 pm

I have a 7' He3 light/MH it's light, crisp, well balanced and sensitive. I'd say its very good for 3/16- 1/4oz shakey. I have used it for Jerkbaits, I didn't find it to be to long for working the bait and I'm 5'9". The extra length will help cradle fish, less likely to bend out hooks/loose fish. IMO it's underpowered for 3/8oz shakey and just a touch stout/fast for Jerkbaits but when you ask to cover that spectrum with one rod you have to compromise somewhere. If you plan on doing a lot of 3/8oz shakey bag this whole idea and buy two rods.

Blacktail 8541
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Blacktail 8541 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:21 pm

The loomis GLX 842 is a very capable rod for these techniques.

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:47 am

Yeah, here are some options that I am considering at this point:

* Abu Garcia Fantasista Premier Cast Rod 6'10" Med Lt
* Daiwa Tatula Elite AGS Casting Rod 7' Med-MH Ehrler
* G. Loomis GLX Casting Rod 6'8" Medium 802C JWR
* G. Loomis NRX Casting Rod Blue 6'8" Med Hvy 803C JWR
* St. Croix Legend Elite Casting Rod 6'10" Medium
* St. Croix Legend Xtreme Casting Rod 6'10" Med/X Fast

I would be throwing jerkbaits from 1/4 to a Vison 110 (1/2 oz) and shakey heads/plastics from 1/8 - 3/8 oz.

Reel will be the Abu Garcia MGXETREME 2 spooled with 10 fluro (Sniper FC or Assasin).

What ya guys thinking?