Glx or Legend Elite

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Matt_3479
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Glx or Legend Elite

Post by Matt_3479 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:47 pm

I think I’ve narrowed it down to either the glx 822 drop shot rod or the st. Croix legend elite es610mlxf (6’10” medium light extra fast). Wondering which is more sensitive?

Canga-
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Glx or Legend Elite

Post by Canga- » Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:52 pm

i havent used (or handled) the loomis so i cant comment there, but i have 2 of the LE's and they are awesome, i have never had any problems feeling a bite on them, very sensitive rods. i usually have a 1/8 ned rig on them, but also spent a lot of time throwing a small swimbait (baby rage swimmer, along with some that i make myself in a similar size) with either a 1/8. 3/16 or 1/4 jighead, handled them great as well.

i also have the 6'3" mlxf and its an awesome rod too, its a lighter powered rod (even though both are MLXF) but very fun little rod. probably my favorite currently.

Matt_3479
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Matt_3479 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:17 am

Canga- wrote:i havent used (or handled) the loomis so i cant comment there, but i have 2 of the LE's and they are awesome, i have never had any problems feeling a bite on them, very sensitive rods. i usually have a 1/8 ned rig on them, but also spent a lot of time throwing a small swimbait (baby rage swimmer, along with some that i make myself in a similar size) with either a 1/8. 3/16 or 1/4 jighead, handled them great as well.

i also have the 6'3" mlxf and its an awesome rod too, its a lighter powered rod (even though both are MLXF) but very fun little rod. probably my favorite currently.
Thank you! I keep saying I want to try a high end st. Croix before I push them off as I do prefer loomis but everytime I have the money I go loomis. I’m having a hard time finding the glx 822 dsr minus a used one in good shape but found the legend elite for a good price. Might just have to try it this time. If I don’t like it I can always sell it for the loomis

jerkbait22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jerkbait22 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:46 am

Canga- wrote:i havent used (or handled) the loomis so i cant comment there, but i have 2 of the LE's and they are awesome, i have never had any problems feeling a bite on them, very sensitive rods. i usually have a 1/8 ned rig on them, but also spent a lot of time throwing a small swimbait (baby rage swimmer, along with some that i make myself in a similar size) with either a 1/8. 3/16 or 1/4 jighead, handled them great as well.

Canga - do you find the XF tip is a hindrance fishing the swimbaits? I made a post about this about a year back but I'm thinking of finally getting the Legend Elite spinning in a Medium action and debating between the 6'10 MXF and the 7 MF. I think XF would be preferable for most of the techniques I plan to use it for (DS, Ned, Neko, light shakey head, light T-Rig, weightless worms/flukes), except for small swimbaits. Since I want 1 spinning rod to cover all those techniques I'm trying to decide which is the better trade-off - the Xtra Fast or the Fast action.

Canga-
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Canga- » Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:57 pm

i didnt have any problems with the XF tip on swimbaits, but i think if i went with a medium over a medium-light, that might be different. i havent used the current gen of the 6'8" mxf, but i had a previous model, and it was faster than the ML by a bit. the 6'10" mlxf i would call more of a medium-medium-light, its more powerful than the 6'3" mlxf, but not a full medium (if that makes sense!)

as for the high end st croixs, ill put it this way, over the past 10ish years i have owned st croixs from about all the lines, a b-stock triumph (decent rod for $40!), avids, legend tournaments (both bass and walleye), an older legend extreme, an older legend elite, and now 3 of the current legend elites. i never really liked any of them, they werent bad really, just didnt do "it" for me. i upgraded a broken legend tournament to the current legend elite and it completely changed how i viewed them, not sure if its the guides, or what but the rods are more lively than older versions (in my hands). i want to get the 6'4" lxf in the new legend elite panfish series, that should be a very fun rod for stream smallies and panfish!

Matt_3479
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Matt_3479 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:35 pm

Thank you. I ended up stumbling across a glx 822 dsr at a great price and going to look at it tomorrow with expectations of purchasing the rod! Maybe I’ll have to grab a legend elite for another purpose. Tubes, niko rigs maybe. Something a little longer?

Revofisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Revofisher » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:04 am

i have 6 of the new model legend elite and love them i have or had all the nrx and glx models at some point and also am a big fan of these. the glx hurt my hand a bit for long fishing periods so i tried the st croix legend elite and fell in love. really is a nice crisp get the job done rod for me. i have the 7'6 ml spinning rod which i use for hair jigs and smaller finese baits, this rod has an extra fast tip but its softer which allows for small swimbaits, shad raps, and the like to be used. the other is the 7' ml spinning rod and it really shines with a lot of stuff. small darter head, small grub/swimbait, lighter neko rig, and really like it for ned rigs. i dont think you would be disapointed in this series they are really good. in my hands my loomis rods are a tad more sensitive but i have not had any concerns about not feeling bites with the elites. I will give the build quality to the legend elites as well all mine are flawless it seems when it comes to blanks and guides being super straight. some of my glx rods look like a compound bow with the bend in the blanks... for your intended use i think you would like the 7 ml spinning model.

Matt_3479
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Matt_3479 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:03 pm

Revofisher wrote:i have 6 of the new model legend elite and love them i have or had all the nrx and glx models at some point and also am a big fan of these. the glx hurt my hand a bit for long fishing periods so i tried the st croix legend elite and fell in love. really is a nice crisp get the job done rod for me. i have the 7'6 ml spinning rod which i use for hair jigs and smaller finese baits, this rod has an extra fast tip but its softer which allows for small swimbaits, shad raps, and the like to be used. the other is the 7' ml spinning rod and it really shines with a lot of stuff. small darter head, small grub/swimbait, lighter neko rig, and really like it for ned rigs. i dont think you would be disapointed in this series they are really good. in my hands my loomis rods are a tad more sensitive but i have not had any concerns about not feeling bites with the elites. I will give the build quality to the legend elites as well all mine are flawless it seems when it comes to blanks and guides being super straight. some of my glx rods look like a compound bow with the bend in the blanks... for your intended use i think you would like the 7 ml spinning model.
Well I ended up getting a wicked price on the glx 822s this morning and paired it with a ci4+! Looks like an awesome rod and very excited to fish it this spring and summer! The only other spinning rod I have for bass is a 2 piece avid x 7’ medium paired with a nasci but most likely selling it too one of my buddies who’s rod just broke allowing me to replace it with a more all round spinning set up to go with the 822s. I think I’ll probably go with the legend elite or even consider a Daiwa tatula elite. Just have to figure out what the 822 can handle as for as other techniques and then figure out what I need to cover still. Tubes, senko’s ned, neko and so forth. Hoping the 822 will cover the ned rig okay and maybe smaller soft jerks, or wacky style worms. My 852c will cover my shaky head and finesse jigs, so mainly for senko’s, and tubes