EDGE RODS by Gary Loomis?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Reverendo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

EDGE RODS by Gary Loomis?

Post by Reverendo » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:02 am

Anyone get to play with these yet? I know they were having trouble with their lead times, etc., but wondering if that's getting better. What else can you tell me about these?

Winstondry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: EDGE RODS by Gary Loomis?

Post by Winstondry » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:37 am

I have quite a few, feel free to PM me.

Reservoir
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Reservoir » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:56 pm

My buddy uses them, he broke 2 out of the 4 in a hook set and had a hard time dealing with customer service.

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:09 am

Reservoir wrote:My buddy uses them, he broke 2 out of the 4 in a hook set and had a hard time dealing with customer service.
I think this is the norm...they're completely understaffed in customer service from all the stories you hear, and it becomes a nightmare (or test of patience) to deal with them. They're really active on social media though!!!

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:26 am

Service after the sale (or lack thereof) is why I havent had a custom built on a NFC blank.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Reservoir
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Reservoir » Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:33 pm

godshippy wrote:
Reservoir wrote:My buddy uses them, he broke 2 out of the 4 in a hook set and had a hard time dealing with customer service.
I think this is the norm...they're completely understaffed in customer service from all the stories you hear, and it becomes a nightmare (or test of patience) to deal with them. They're really active on social media though!!!

Hopefully they will have better service, personally I think the rod feels good in my hands.

RMCatchNrelease
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by RMCatchNrelease » Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:38 am

Just search my post history if you want the full version.

Short version...great blanks, poor guide layouts, poor build quality, poor service. Some nice people work there and are polite, but completely overwhelmed and under prepared.

I've had several on and off line conversations with their CEO Alex. While a nice person, he just doesn't want to address the real issues. It is really a shame as I want this made in the USA brand to succeed.

If they simply hired a well known builder to re-engineer their guide layouts, used better components, and had slightly better quality control...they could sell their rods all day and be a force.

The gimmick pricing structure and are sales hurt the brand image in my view. Simply release a quality product at a good price and be done.

Delta- $149 as is is a good rod. I won't fault cheaper components on a entry rod.
First Srtike- $225 is a good rod for the price. BUT switch to quality stainless alconite Fuji guides and a better layout. Boom done and it will sell.
Black widow- $349 is a solid premium line. Again, switch to stainless SIC Fuji and you are golden.

With a guide train worthy of the blanks and a layout that doesn't have line rubbing the blank in multiple spots...I'd buy these quality American made rods.

It is so frustrating as I feel they could really have a great brand. That said, I'm just some guy on the interwebs.

Rfdong
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Rfdong » Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:12 pm

Same story here with customer service. You can search my posts too. I had one of the first ones, broke first trip out on a 2 lb fish and they wanted to charge me MORE than the stated warranty replacement. I wouldn’t touch them with a 10 ft pole so to speak. Not worth it with so many choices and good companies to deal with.

1nutinthewater
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 1nutinthewater » Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:51 pm

Ditto here- Multiple bad experiences with them. When and if you can reach someone they tell you how busy they are and overwhelmed. After a year of hearing this one would think they would have made changes to improve but they have not.
Love their rods but i will never deal with them again.

Check on facebook for recent comments on their site before you consider a purchase from them- a multitude of complaints about rods taking months and folks not being given honest answers. It seems their guaranteed december delivery of delta bass rods has failed as well.

Will stick with Loomis which are simple to order and great to deal with.........
Last edited by 1nutinthewater on Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Our tradition is that of the first who sneaked away to the creek when tribe did not really need fish

Reservoir
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Reservoir » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:57 am

I know I mention Dobyns a lot here on this forum. I am not a pro staff for them or have any connections to them. But you should defiantly Give them a try. I fish gloomis, shimano, Dobyns, cousins tackle, st croix and a few others. Personally, Dobyns make great rods for the price, I have their low end to their high end rods and their Sierra series took me by surprise when I’m hooking into striped bass and LMB. Plus their customer service is great and easy to deal with.

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:25 am

Reservoir wrote:I know I mention Dobyns a lot here on this forum. I am not a pro staff for them or have any connections to them. But you should defiantly Give them a try. I fish gloomis, shimano, Dobyns, cousins tackle, st croix and a few others. Personally, Dobyns make great rods for the price, I have their low end to their high end rods and their Sierra series took me by surprise when I’m hooking into striped bass and LMB. Plus their customer service is great and easy to deal with.
This is the reason why I chose to go with Dobyns. It's just so much easier to deal with than any other company. Shimano used to be so easy and great, but after the changes in their warranty, it just wasn't worth it to me anymore.

Reservoir
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Reservoir » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:57 am

godshippy wrote:
Reservoir wrote:I know I mention Dobyns a lot here on this forum. I am not a pro staff for them or have any connections to them. But you should defiantly Give them a try. I fish gloomis, shimano, Dobyns, cousins tackle, st croix and a few others. Personally, Dobyns make great rods for the price, I have their low end to their high end rods and their Sierra series took me by surprise when I’m hooking into striped bass and LMB. Plus their customer service is great and easy to deal with.
This is the reason why I chose to go with Dobyns. It's just so much easier to deal with than any other company. Shimano used to be so easy and great, but after the changes in their warranty, it just wasn't worth it to me anymore.
Yeah, Dobyns is the way to go IMHO. I haven’t felt with shimano ever since they discontinued their cumaras. Sorry for thread jacking.

yoshi31
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by yoshi31 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:45 am

I know this is an old thread but would love to hear any opinions on the Edge Black Widow series. Thanks!

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:27 pm

yoshi31 wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:45 am
I know this is an old thread but would love to hear any opinions on the Edge Black Widow series. Thanks!
I was rolling the dice on this purchase as I often have
But that being said I didn’t do any research on the rod. I think I got it for $200
And it kinda matched the specs on the Dobyns 702 rod that had been looking for.
For me it’s a pixy type r or any pixy perfect match.
The reel seat reminds me of the webie reel seat and I should add the ratings with are 3/16-1/2 and 8-14 lb test line. I’ve used this rod for light trigs, jika, Ned rigs and things of that nature. The rod is plenty sensitive and I believe this is the first generation of the rod.

The guides are straight and I’m not sure what they are made of nor am I 100% on the blank. $200 roll of the die and I’m extremely EXTREMELY happy with the one I have
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

yoshi31
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by yoshi31 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:38 am

Thanks for the review. I have a first strike spinning model and it doesn’t feel very balanced. 200 is a hell of a deal. I caught one of their “sales” but paid quite a bit more than that for my BW. My black widow is still “processing” I am anxiously awaiting it for this season!