Dobyns vs Megabass vs Shimano

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
russ57
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Dobyns vs Megabass vs Shimano

Post by russ57 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:10 am

The bait monkey has started biting and I am getting curious about some of the rods in the 250-300 price point, for an all purpose rod in the 7-73 range, with the potential to handle keitechs, jigs, texas rigged craws, etc. I am most interested in
-Expride 72mh
-Champion XP 734(probably full handle)
-Megabass Orochi XX(Tour versitile)

There is something about the Megabass rod that really has that it factor for me. I have handled a fury 734, and liked the length and action, but the weight and balance weren't the best so I sold it. Tacticalbassin has rave reviews about the expride as well. Given that the Megabass will never go on sale, the other two could be had for much less on a classic sale or something. How do these models compare? is the Megabass superior?

spencerinstl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Dobyns vs Megabass vs Shimano

Post by spencerinstl » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:19 am

russ57 wrote:The bait monkey has started biting and I am getting curious about some of the rods in the 250-300 price point, for an all purpose rod in the 7-73 range, with the potential to handle keitechs, jigs, texas rigged craws, etc. I am most interested in
-Expride 72mh
-Champion XP 734(probably full handle)
-Megabass Orochi XX(Tour versitile)

There is something about the Megabass rod that really has that it factor for me. I have handled a fury 734, and liked the length and action, but the weight and balance weren't the best so I sold it. Tacticalbassin has rave reviews about the expride as well. Given that the Megabass will never go on sale, the other two could be had for much less on a classic sale or something. How do these models compare? is the Megabass superior?
As far as Dobyns goes, I love my Champion 734 but use it for paddletails, this rod has some tip to it which makes it a very nice rod for small swimbaits and paddletails. If you have $300 to spend, I would step up into the DX line for bottom contact baits and get a DX 704C. Don't have any experience with the other 2.
Thanks for the epiphany captain obvious

Heddonfrog
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Heddonfrog » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:55 pm

No experience with any of the rods you’re interested in but I’ve seen this seller always has a “Or best offer” option on his MegaBass listings. I think a 10-15% maybe even 20% discount would be a reasonable place to start

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2018-Megabass- ... 1&LH_BIN=1

bronzebacks
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bronzebacks » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:09 pm

I own the expride you mention and its a sweet versital stick. I have a few orochi xx and i would recommend the Diablo special type r. Its my favorite rod also very versatile. I had a dobyans dx 744 the older version and i did not care for it. It felt dead in my hands. The Kistler h3 7'3" h is one sweet rod especially for the sale prices it can be had for just over 200$

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:19 pm

MB all the way. Never used a single Dobyns so i have no idea how they are. Shimano feels too Made in China to me.

spencerinstl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spencerinstl » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:16 pm

I tried the DX 744 and didn't like it. Ended up taking it back and getting a DX704, liked it much better. Don't think you can go wrong with Megabass, I own several, and love them, but no experience with the XX lineup.
Thanks for the epiphany captain obvious

lape0019
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by lape0019 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:54 am

That's a tough one for me as I have been using Dobyns for quite a long time. I have the Champion 734 (non XP) and it is a very versatile stick that I use mainly for soft swimbaits like Keitechs, spinnerbaits and buzzbaits. but I do not believe it is anywhere near as sensitive as the XX or the Expride (Never used an expride though). It will work for T rigs and lighter jigs, but there are way better rods out there for those techniques.

The only recommendation I can make is if you are going to buy Dobyns, The DX would be better suited for what you are looking to do with this rod.

After looking at the specs, I can see why you are considering the tour versatile as the rate rating is pretty good. But based strictly on reviews, I think the DSR would be better suited for your needs as long as you don't need that 1/4oz extra up top (between 3/4 and 1oz that the TV would give you) .

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:10 am

Ive only used the Gen1 Orochi XX Tour Versatile. I thought it was a little too stiff to be "versatile" if your are using FC, you may be able to swing it. I was using braid and thought it would handle spinnerbaits and chatterbaits along with small swimbait and frog duties. Jigs and frogs is where id only use it ideally.

Gen2 may be softer though
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:25 am

I like the Megabass rods myself.

Reservoir
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Reservoir » Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:35 pm

I use Dobyns now and have 0 regrets

I use to use Shimano but since they discontinued the cumara I never went back.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:34 am

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:Ive only used the Gen1 Orochi XX Tour Versatile. I thought it was a little too stiff to be "versatile" if your are using FC, you may be able to swing it. I was using braid and thought it would handle spinnerbaits and chatterbaits along with small swimbait and frog duties. Jigs and frogs is where id only use it ideally.

Gen2 may be softer though
I used to have a Gen1 TV and more or less agree with this. I did like it pretty well for spinners and chatters, though it is a powerful rod and 3/4oz ones felt a lot better then 1/2oz ones did. It was a great rod for toads and big paddletails fished on top like a toad. Plenty of power to get a good hook-set but enough bend in the taper to keep them on with less then perfect playing.

If the Gen 2 is a bit softer it would be an even better rod I think, so long as it kept the power.

russ57
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by russ57 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:41 pm

Does anyone have experience with the new Orochi XX braillist? Seems like a more bottom contact oriented version of the EMTF. how might it compare to a DX744?

jmd_143
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jmd_143 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:20 am

I have used Gen 1 MB Orochi XX Diablo and EMTF, Expride A 72 MHF and DX 744/DC 734. Of all these rods, the Expride and Diablo spec R were my favorite. That being said, the only rod on this list i still have is the Expride. Love the way they feel, sthe sensitivity they come with, balance, and responsiveness of the blank. Can also be had for close to $200 if you shop around. Very hard to beat for that price...

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:00 pm

jmd_143 wrote:I have used Gen 1 MB Orochi XX Diablo and EMTF, Expride A 72 MHF and DX 744/DC 734. Of all these rods, the Expride and Diablo spec R were my favorite. That being said, the only rod on this list i still have is the Expride. Love the way they feel, sthe sensitivity they come with, balance, and responsiveness of the blank. Can also be had for close to $200 if you shop around. Very hard to beat for that price...
It's funny, the Expride As get very little chatter on these forums yet they're consistently sold out everywhere. To me they are the best performance for price rod on the market, period.

Datbasstho
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Datbasstho » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:45 pm

Megabass diablo spec-r 2018 is incredible and extremely versatile.
I’ve used it for almost every application without issues especially jigs and Texas rigged craws.
I paired it up with a Daiwa Steez and the balance is perfect.
I also started a thread trying to get help on buying my first megabass rod that would be versatile and i was told the diablo spec-r would be best and I never looked back. It’s perfect.