fantasista regista

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
timinmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

fantasista regista

Post by timinmo » Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:13 pm

Sierra trading has had some of these rods on their site for sometime. My resistance is getting low. Never having handled any of this line, my question is are they worth $200? The site states that they were $500 originally. Whether that is right or not I don't know. Are they better than a St. Croix Avid or other rods at that price level? They will have to be quite a bit better for me to take the leap. Help.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: fantasista regista

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:54 pm

I have the 6-10ML casting rod and its among the nicest I have ever fished. Its worth way more than the $200 that I paid. Sensitivity is easily right there with the new GLX, maybe even better. Dont forget, they were $500 original retail. I'm toying with the idea of the 7' medium casting rod, too. And it looks good with my Aird Red Tune.

Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:28 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:I have the 6-10ML casting rod and its among the nicest I have ever fished. Its worth way more than the $200 that I paid. Sensitivity is easily right there with the new GLX, maybe even better. Dont forget, they were $500 original retail. I'm toying with the idea of the 7' medium casting rod, too. And it looks good with my Aird Red Tune.

Does that reel have brakes? I thought they were for jigging.
This is the way.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:51 am

It's only 150 now. Might as well buy two. :evil22:
This is the way.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:16 pm

I found an Alpha on there for only 12 bones, too.
This is the way.

Schlag
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Schlag » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:42 pm

Thanks for the FYI. I pulled the trigger on that great price.
Last edited by Schlag on Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:57 pm

poisonokie wrote:
hoohoorjoo wrote:I have the 6-10ML casting rod and its among the nicest I have ever fished. Its worth way more than the $200 that I paid. Sensitivity is easily right there with the new GLX, maybe even better. Dont forget, they were $500 original retail. I'm toying with the idea of the 7' medium casting rod, too. And it looks good with my Aird Red Tune.

Does that reel have brakes? I thought they were for jigging.
The sideplate guts were swapped for Sol parts and it now has an Alphas SV 105 spool. Its a sweet combo for finesse jigs. \:D/
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:09 pm

Looks awesome. I like that handle. It's cool that there aren't cutouts.
This is the way.

timinmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by timinmo » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:16 pm

I'm sorry guys but other than Tim, who's judgement I value, has anyone else fished or handled this rod?

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:02 pm

There's a TT review.
This is the way.

Schlag
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Schlag » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:38 am

Drove home, during lunch, to check out the 6'10" Fantasista that got dropped off by UPS. The rod shipped from Hodgkins, Il, so I was hoping it would get to Michigan in good shape. It's everything I expected it to be. I've been wanting to try a Fanatasista for a long time. What a steal for $158 shipped!!! It seems well balanced with a nice light tip and good backbone. The micro guide train is perfectly aligned. Can't wait to compare it against my other ML BFS rods. I really wish I would have bought 2 of them. ](*,)

I was worried about the horror stories I've heard about Sierra Trading Post shipping rods in a cardboard box. I have to admit, minus the rods I've purchased from Japan & Australia, this was probably one of the best packaged rods from any USA retailer. Bubble wrap around the tip and butt/handle of the rod, in a plastic rod bag, with foam inserts on both sides of the cardboard rod tube.

Thanks again for posting this great deal! Hopefully, Sierra drops their pricing on the Medium casting & spinning rods.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:48 pm

I got a 6'8" one piece rod shipped from Singapore via FedEx in a triangular cardboard box. Made it just fine. I just ordered another rod from the same place and given its relative rarity, I hope they use a tube this time... [-o<
This is the way.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:58 pm

Schlag wrote:Drove home, during lunch, to check out the 6'10" Fantasista that got dropped off by UPS. The rod shipped from Hodgkins, Il, so I was hoping it would get to Michigan in good shape. It's everything I expected it to be. I've been wanting to try a Fanatasista for a long time. What a steal for $158 shipped!!! It seems well balanced with a nice light tip and good backbone. The micro guide train is perfectly aligned. Can't wait to compare it against my other ML BFS rods. I really wish I would have bought 2 of them. ](*,)

I was worried about the horror stories I've heard about Sierra Trading Post shipping rods in a cardboard box. I have to admit, minus the rods I've purchased from Japan & Australia, this was probably one of the best packaged rods from any USA retailer. Bubble wrap around the tip and butt/handle of the rod, in a plastic rod bag, with foam inserts on both sides of the cardboard rod tube.

Thanks again for posting this great deal! Hopefully, Sierra drops their pricing on the Medium casting & spinning rods.
I really think anyone who picks up this rod would love it. It is among the nicest rods I have ever used or even handled, and is right at the top regarding sensitivity, too. I am having a hard time not ordering the 7' Medium casting rod myself. They had the 7-4 Medium spinning rod for $149 a couple months back, as well. I bet it would have made a nice shakeyhead rod for deep water.

timinmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by timinmo » Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:18 pm

Well I went ahead and did it. Despite the lack of reviews and inability to handle the rod before hand, I ordered the 6' 10" medium light from Sierra Trading. Like others I was worried about the shipping but Schlag's comments swayed me. Like him my rod was received very well packed in one of the heaviest cardboard tubes I have seen. Knowing that both Hoohoorjoo and Schlag liked the rods pushed me over the edge. At this point I have not fished it, got it today, but made a few casts in the yard. It seems like everything it should be. Light jigs, small T-rigs felt good as did the balance with a Pixy. This is definitely not medium it is rated for 1/8 to 1/2 and I think the 1/2 maybe pushing things.

The other guys would be able to give more detailed comments but at this point I am very happy and can't wait to get on the water with it.

88ms3
Angler
Angler

Post by 88ms3 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:06 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Schlag wrote:Drove home, during lunch, to check out the 6'10" Fantasista that got dropped off by UPS. The rod shipped from Hodgkins, Il, so I was hoping it would get to Michigan in good shape. It's everything I expected it to be. I've been wanting to try a Fanatasista for a long time. What a steal for $158 shipped!!! It seems well balanced with a nice light tip and good backbone. The micro guide train is perfectly aligned. Can't wait to compare it against my other ML BFS rods. I really wish I would have bought 2 of them. ](*,)

I really think anyone who picks up this rod would love it. It is among the nicest rods I have ever used or even handled, and is right at the top regarding sensitivity, too. I am having a hard time not ordering the 7' Medium casting rod myself. They had the 7-4 Medium spinning rod for $149 a couple months back, as well. I bet it would have made a nice shakeyhead rod for deep water.

What would you say the sweet spot lure weight for this ML rod is? I want to be able to throw 1/8 jigs and plastic... Whether that's ned rigs or just a plain jig head and small swimbait. Id also like to throw a 1/8 to 1/4 dropshot with live minnow for panfish. I essentially would like a soft tip with decent backbone.

I've got the 7'6" M spinning rod pretty much for what you just said... Deep water shaky head and ned rigs. Haven't got a fish on it yet but really enjoy the rod since there's not too many rods with this length with the dropshot style reel seat handle. Feels a little more powerful than a traditional medium which is why I worry that the ML may still be on the slightly stiffer side.