Daiwa Steez AGS

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
MNBassin03
Angler
Angler

Daiwa Steez AGS

Post by MNBassin03 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:28 am

Hi All,

I'm looking for some info on the Daiwa Steez AGS line. I had a small amount of time with the 7'6 H flipping rod. I am interested in feedback of other rods in the line, sensitivity, action, balance, comfort etc.. Specifically anyone have any experience with their 7'1 MH F action, 7'4 XH F, the 7'6 H above, and the 8' H XF. Any other experience with other rods in the line, any that "stand out" would be great as well. I appreciate the help!

Thanks,

timinmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Daiwa Steez AGS

Post by timinmo » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:01 pm

I don't know how much it will help but I have one of the AGS Steez Spinning rods. I think it is a fine rod and very sensitive. I have had it for a couple years and the guides have held up just fine. My only reservation is that I am using spinning equipment less and casting more, so it may not get the use that it would if it was a casting rod. Of course this is not a fault of the rod, only my changing tastes.

Hope this helps.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:51 pm

I've fished quite a few Daiwa Steez AGS rods now and overall, they are fantastic. My personal favorite is the 761MMLFS spinning rod, mine is paired with a new US Exist. I've been a die hard "Stella guy" for a very long time and this is the first reel that's made me question that loyalty - it's that good. Paired with the 761, it's a world class combo.

The 801HXB I haven't fished, but the 71MH is fantastic, the 721MHRB, 741XHFB, and the 761HFB are all top notch rods indeed.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

lzeil
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by lzeil » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:09 pm

stz711mhxb-ags is a gud rod, but the racing design line really spoiled me :)

timinmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by timinmo » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:14 am

I know this is a little off topic, but I for one am glad to see Bronzefly posting. Seems like it has been awhile. I have always enjoyed your informed posts. I apologize to the OP for going off topic.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:39 am

timinmo wrote:I know this is a little off topic, but I for one am glad to see Bronzefly posting. Seems like it has been awhile. I have always enjoyed your informed posts. I apologize to the OP for going off topic.
Yeah, where you been, fool?
This is the way.

timinmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by timinmo » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:35 am

I guess I just pay closer attention than you.

MNBassin03
Angler
Angler

Post by MNBassin03 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:02 pm

The little time I had with the 7'6 H, I felt like it was very much a bottom contact rod. Are the other rods in the line, specifically the 7'1 MH the same type of feeling, or do they play with swim jigs, chatterbaits (I know it's not ideal), but still some of those moving baits with single hooks?

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:46 pm

timinmo wrote:I guess I just pay closer attention than you.
I was just saying I noticed the same thing, fool.
This is the way.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:00 pm

MNBassin03 wrote:The little time I had with the 7'6 H, I felt like it was very much a bottom contact rod. Are the other rods in the line, specifically the 7'1 MH the same type of feeling, or do they play with swim jigs, chatterbaits (I know it's not ideal), but still some of those moving baits with single hooks?
When I had the 71 MH, I felt it may not be a great taper for moving baits. Maybe if you use mono.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HobeyBaker » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:05 am

Like Gary said the 76mml is one hell of a rod. I have mine paired with an Exsence.

Dragonstop852
Angler
Angler

Post by Dragonstop852 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:50 pm

Has anyone yet clarified the status with the guides on this 7'6 M/ML spinning rod? I have some issues that make it especially harder on me as I get into more complicated knots, which rely more on dexterity of the fingers. And considering that I've happily (and finally) switched over entirely from straight FC to braid to FC leader, I have been able to consistently tie a solid double uni knot. But still the smaller micro guides are problematic and have chosen to side step those rods when buying new ones now. So I'd really appreciate it if someone who owns one of these rods and uses braid to leader would comment on the guide sizes and whether they could be a problem for me. If not, maybe Bronzefly would chime in as I know that he lives and dies by this particular rod! I'd primarily be using 10#, 15# & less occasionally 20# Sufix 832 braid with Abrazx FC leaders of 8,10 & less occasionally 12#. I have the 7'1 ML Steez and love it, but remember that Daiwa sends out a little note cautioning you about not using braid to leader connector knots with the AGS guides. What's the verdict on that situation now that its old news???

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HobeyBaker » Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:28 pm

Dragonstop852 wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:50 pm
Has anyone yet clarified the status with the guides on this 7'6 M/ML spinning rod? I have some issues that make it especially harder on me as I get into more complicated knots, which rely more on dexterity of the fingers. And considering that I've happily (and finally) switched over entirely from straight FC to braid to FC leader, I have been able to consistently tie a solid double uni knot. But still the smaller micro guides are problematic and have chosen to side step those rods when buying new ones now. So I'd really appreciate it if someone who owns one of these rods and uses braid to leader would comment on the guide sizes and whether they could be a problem for me. If not, maybe Bronzefly would chime in as I know that he lives and dies by this particular rod! I'd primarily be using 10#, 15# & less occasionally 20# Sufix 832 braid with Abrazx FC leaders of 8,10 & less occasionally 12#. I have the 7'1 ML Steez and love it, but remember that Daiwa sends out a little note cautioning you about not using braid to leader connector knots with the AGS guides. What's the verdict on that situation now that its old news???
I have had two of them since 2018 and have no issues with the guide. I have used both Alberto and FG knots. You can use any guide out there with an FG knot. It just takes some time to learn.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:31 pm

HobeyBaker wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:28 pm
Dragonstop852 wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:50 pm
I have had two of them since 2018 and have no issues with the guide. I have used both Alberto and FG knots. You can use any guide out there with an FG knot. It just takes some time to learn.
Same here, no issues. Keep in mind that this rod doesn't really have micro guides, they're way bigger than many other rods (including the tip top guide). I've specifically used double uni on this rod a bunch - 20lbs Maxcuatro to 10lbs FC leader - and not have had any issues. (I have other rods that require an FG, this rod doesn't). I think the braid-to-leader warning from Daiwa holds more water with thicker lines, but at 20lbs to 10lbs (or 8, or 6) you shouldn't have any issues.

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HobeyBaker » Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:05 am

I'm using 10 pounds. You could call St Croix and ask them if they have been seeing any issues with the guides on the Legend Extremes due to leader connection knots. They would have a better sample size than a few guys on a message board. Just a thought.