Dobyns Champion Extreme HP 703C

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Real Pudd legend
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Dobyns Champion Extreme HP 703C

Post by Real Pudd legend » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:37 pm

For those of you who have this rod can you give me some insight on what you use it for , where it shines and how do you like it .

Thanks in advance !!

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Dobyns Champion Extreme HP 703C

Post by godshippy » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:54 am

It's a great senko and spinnerbait rod. Perfect length for pitching into tight spaces and loads up really well with 3/8 oz spinnerbaits. I also like using it for heavier dropshots using 12# fluorocarbon and a 1/4 oz weight.

Real Pudd legend
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Real Pudd legend » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:50 am

How do you think it will fair with 1/8 and 3/16 oz Texas rigs ? And a weightless ika ? I’m curious of the backbone to drive the hook home..

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:59 am

I've never actually fished an Ika, but I've had no issue pitching a T-rig with a 3/16 oz weight.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:16 am

This is a good question, I have always wondered about the Dobyns MH versus M. The MH feels more like the stout Medium powered rods I have gotten used to, but my local retailer doesn't carry a single Medium powered casting rod (Dobyns). I just got worried that if the MH can basically handle semi-finesse casting lures then maybe the Medium is too soft for small jigs, swimbaits, shaky heads, etc...???

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:16 am

I don't have the 702 because it's more of a finesse oriented stick, but I do have the 742 and it's not under powered at all for those lighter jigs and shaky heads.

I definitely fish one power more with Dobyns because I fish the CA Delta.

spencerinstl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spencerinstl » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:34 pm

I have the Champion Extreme DX 703C not the HP version. I like to use it for 3/8 oz jigs. 1/4 oz is as low as I would go with this rod, but that's just me. I love my dobyns rods, but at 1/8 oz for jigs and t-rigs I prefer an extra fast rod like the GLoomis 802C JWR.
That extra fast action gives you a little more hook setting ability with a finesse rod.
Thanks for the epiphany captain obvious

Real Pudd legend
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Real Pudd legend » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:12 am

I ended up picking up the 703C champion extreme HP new with tags for $220 . It seems to be a very versatile all around MH rod. I’ve used it for wacky senkos so far and it’s perfect . Heaviest I’ve gone is a 3/8 oz jig and I feel that’s the sweetspot in terms for overall weight capacity when fishing bottom bouncing baits. It’s sensitve and casts great, and seems to have a nice backbone but a nice tip for accurate casting. The backbone seems to snap well, it’s hard to explain like if I were to compare it to a MH Daiwa rod such as a steez xt or the new Tatula rod the Dobyns reacts faster and the crispness of the taper results in a more solid hookset . If I were to set the hook with the Daiwa MH it seems mushy and the backbone is soft as if I don’t trust the hooks penetrating the fish’s mouth. I feel it’s more of a regular taper on those Daiwa Mh rods as the Dobyns has a crispier feeling and that backbone is just right. I’ve read some reviews pertaining their lack of sensitivity but I feel the sensitivity actually surprised me and I’m very pleased with its response and feel. I fish exprides, Megabass , Daiwa etc and this Dobyns is no slouch I will pick up another one without hesitation. The Tip has this almost floating feeling like it gravitates up which gives it a nice balance . It’s paired up with a Shimano aldebaran 50HG and it’s a perfect combo with no fatigue and easy handling .

So far I believe it would be great for the following :

Weightless senkos, wacky senkos/worms
1/8 to 3/16 oz Texas rigs
1/4 to 3/8 oz jigs
Flukes
Spinnerbaits/ chatterbaits
Jerkbaits
Topwater
Dropshot
Shakey

Great rod !!

Dink Dawg
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Dink Dawg » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:37 pm

I've had mine for about seven months. I have used it for tubes, hula grubs up to 3/8 ounce, and 1/4 oz shakey heads. I fished some weightless Senkos and it was great for that. I plan to fish neko rigs with it this next season. I paired it with a Diawa SV105 and it balances great.

slipknot6
Angler
Angler

Post by slipknot6 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:23 pm

A 703 is my favorite 1/4oz swim jig rod i've ever used.

Reservoir
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Reservoir » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:01 pm

I have this rod. And personally it’s one of my favorite rods I’ve ever fished. I feel like I have more control of the fish vs my cousins im8 rod and gloomis imx. Also, it’s not a very light rod, but it’s light and very sensitive.