Kuying Teton

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Kuying Teton

Post by uljersey » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:58 pm

Man, what a pain in the a$$ trying to find a light power casting rod. Domestic choices are VERY limited, didn't want to break the bank on a high end JDM. After much searching and research I found one that met my specs almost to the T ... Aliexpress to the rescue with the Kuying Teton. I just ordered the 6'6" model TTC662L. I needed to fill the gap between UL & ML and hopefully this will do just that. A sub $100 rod with Fuji seat and guides is a beautiful thing.

I stumbled on this video after my purchase, well done review and I feel a bit relieved after watching it. Actually Kuying has quite a few positive reviews and this video confirms that. I'll follow up with my thoughts after receipt, though it may be a while as the shipping from Aliexpress can be slow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGy1yfn2vvI

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Kuying Teton

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:47 pm

I've read mostly positive things about their rods, especially the Teton. Hope you like the rod
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:26 pm

I have the 662L Teton and it is a great rod for the money. The build quality is great for $50 but not as mind blowing as the Top Caster or Leadership. It is more of an ultra light than a true light let alone a light BFS. The loads up and cast small hardbaits like 1/8oz poppers and cranks really well. It also handles 1/16 oz inline spinners well to thanks to the additional weight of the blade and hardware. I'm not a fan of using it on weedless ned rigs and the like. The rod bombs small jigs and plastics out there but struggles to push hooks through plastic or collapse weed guards and get a good hookset sometimes. I hear the tip is more fragile and prone to breaking than the UL and that the two are so similar that the UL is the better rod but I have had no problems out of mine and have it going on 2 years. Tip sections can be purchased seperately if the need arises for around $20. I have mine paired to a Black Max 3 with a Studio of Momo spool and Ray's Studio DIY micro ceramic bearings and use 10# Nanofil green. I think the lightest thing I tried to cast with the Teton L was the jig head and grub from a 1/32 oz beetle spin. The rod couldn't handle it unless you whipped it and used the whipping motion to load the rod but the reel handled it well.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:43 pm

I specifically bought it for what I refer to as 'mid range hardbaits' meaning treble hook (minnows, squarebills, etc) baits in the 1/8 to around 1/4 oz range, baits that are at the high end and beyond of my UL comfort zone but don't do as well as they could on my ML casting gear. I don't throw much in the way of plastics, mostly 1/32 to 1/16 jigheads and my UL Elite Tech River Runner does a fine job of driving the hook home on those baits. On paper the Teton should fill that gap nicely.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:55 pm

There have been lengthy discussions on the Kuying rods, and a lot of positive feedback. Keep us informed of how you like it. If not for that annoying SKS split seat, I would have already bought one.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:09 pm

have the UL model. great trout rod, but i cannot stand the acs fuji reel seat. i will never understand why so many rods are using this reel seat, its the worst ever create :crying:

1nutinthewater
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 1nutinthewater » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:55 pm

I also have the UL version for trout fishing. Put the calcutta conquest bfs on it and love it for trout fishing! In fact i prefer it over rods costing much more. Mostly used for tossing 1/4 spoons.
Great rod for the price.
Our tradition is that of the first who sneaked away to the creek when tribe did not really need fish

Warhawk
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Warhawk » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:36 pm

I bought that exact rod this spring. Planned to use a Pixy Typ R reel on it, for small crankbait sand small spinnerbaits.

Took it out of the package, assembled the rod and tested the action by “shaking” the rod back and forth. The tip section broke almost completely in two. I hadn’t even mounted a reel on it yet. There was no obvious damage to the packaging.

The seller refunded my money, and I’ve been planning to buy a replacement tip section (or two).

Good luck, and let us know how it works out for you.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:19 am

Got mine Kuying Teton TTC510S. Blank feels very good for light lures. It's a little long for most bushy places, but rod length is what I consider what's ideal for lightest lures with baitcasting reel. In my opinion decent cast is needed for lightest lures and a little longer rod helps with it.

I got that New version:
GekkaBijin handle old vs. new.JPG
GekkaBijin handle old vs. new.JPG (17.62 KiB) Viewed 4602 times
I shortly tried it, still I didn't like it much:
GekkaBijin handle.JPG
GekkaBijin handle.JPG (42.99 KiB) Viewed 4602 times
In my opinion grip could be longer and it could be different shaped:
GekkaBijin handle_mod.JPG
GekkaBijin handle_mod.JPG (44.17 KiB) Viewed 4602 times
Surely I try to fish with it first and try to conform it. Or I must rebuild grip of it.

Edit: I tried shortly Underhand Pitchings with it. I was using rating x2 rubber weight. Easiest underhand pitchings so far. Rod could somehow cast that 6 g weight. (So, this rod covers pretty much everything I like to cast on streams.) And grip didn't feel so bad anymore. In fact it allows to take sturdy two finger hold. Actually it felt OK. I guess I will use this rod a lot on next summer. Rating of this rod is 0.3 - 3 g. Feels reasonable rating.
Last edited by jvelth74 on Wed May 18, 2022 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Tue May 17, 2022 10:15 am

Tip of Kuying Teton TTC510S is crazy fragile. (It's the thinnest tip of rod I have seen.) There was a note in instructions to loose reel drag before taking rod apart. And it's for reason in there and the reason is not to crack tip.

I was fishing with it yesterday. A had thick braided + FC leader because stream is still flooding. (I know, thick braid + knotted FC is also against instructions.) Connection knot might have been better tied / cut tail of it shorter. It got stuck a little bit. I reeled it in. When casting another cast I found that I have broken my rod tip :shock:

Luckily only a inch of length was lost and I have already repaired it. I think one inch does not ruin this rod, but it wasn't good thing for casting lightest lures.

It was crazy hard to neatly fix this because this rod tip is so thin, and I'm not used to build rods. But by forming coating = neat result enough...

Some project pictures:

TTC broken:
Broken TTC.jpg
Broken TTC.jpg (25.03 KiB) Viewed 3742 times
My 'dedicated' building bench:
Building bench.jpg
Building bench.jpg (35.31 KiB) Viewed 3742 times
Rod is repaired, could be tested, but I'm not satisfied of coating. I will partly sand it and redo again:
TTC repaired.jpg
TTC repaired.jpg (10.79 KiB) Viewed 3742 times
Crazy hard to repair this neatly because rod is so thin. First time I used ethanol torch for coating. It immediately catch fire. Sanded and did it again. This time I did not use ethanol torch. Now there is air bubbles in coating. Must be done again third time.

Rod went only ~5 mm inside ring foot. => I wrapped also around reel foot, and coated that area => it will be glued inside and outside. Maybe 0,5 grams weight is added to rod tip, but I think it's not bad, because rod shortened about 1 inch. Neatly wrapping was impossible by my skills and this tiny rod.
TTC wrapping.jpg
TTC wrapping.jpg (17.84 KiB) Viewed 3742 times
But I will coat it until I'm satisfied...

Freddie
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Freddie » Mon May 30, 2022 9:43 pm

How much does this rod weigh? I’ve two Light casting rods that I like. Abu Garcia Mass Beat III 6’6”, 2 Piece, Light power, moderate action, 2-9 gram lure range but 2-6 seems more accurate, weighs 84 grams. Great rod, very light, sensitive, and tough. I’ve caught and landed many 3#+ fish with it no problem. One of those was a 4.1# River smallmouth from the kayak fighting againstthe current. The slower, moderate action makes it very forgiving for fighting fish but difficult to really set the hook with any weed less style rigging or in deep water. Braid did help a lot with both scenarios.
It was my go to BFS bass rod until I picked up a Major Craft Benkei BIC-65UL/BF, 1 Piece, rated as UL power but slightly stiffer tip than the ^ Mass Beat III so I’d consider it a L power, fast action, rated 1-7 gram lure range but 3-8 seems more accurate, weighs 90 grams. It dethroned the Mass Beat III as my bass BFS rod because it’s slightly more powerful/stiffer, has much better backbone being a fast action, and is a bit more sensitive even though it’s 6 grams heavier(1 piece may aid sensitivity). Highly recommend.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon May 30, 2022 10:03 pm

The Tetons are trout sticks so they are noodles. The Majorcraft is a BFS rod so it will be a totally different animal from the Teton and way more stiff with way more backbone. I've had both a Majorcraft BFS UL, L and a Kuying Teton L. The Teton L has the tip of the Majorcraft BFS UL but the majorcraft was several powers more stiff once you got past the tip.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Mon May 30, 2022 11:36 pm

That's true. And Tsurinoya Ares is more backbone than Tetons and Tsurinoya Trout Master is more backbone than Ares. Those Tsurinoya's are better casting than Tetons, but those still are stream fishing trout rods.

I think Majorcraft has also Trout BFS rods? (Actually I don't know Majorcrafts, but maybe Finetails, Glass series and Area might be Trout rods?)

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:06 am

Made some 'high-end' grip improvement (by rubber hose and electric tape) for Kuying Teton TTC:
Teton TTC improvement.jpg
Teton TTC improvement.jpg (51.28 KiB) Viewed 3124 times
In my opinion Kuying is lost with their split grips...I think 'looking cool' is their most important thing in grips. They have forgot that it is supposed to be gripped, not only looked.

The Reel Test: "Handle could be longer - Feels weird" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAGPkVkknXY&t=190s :D