MajorCraft Speedstyle 610+MH?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
iabass8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

MajorCraft Speedstyle 610+MH?

Post by iabass8 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:43 am

Anybody have this rod? Was thinking of trying it out for Balsas like the WEC E1, Bagley BB1, etc. 5/16-1/2 range. I think the Reel seat is ECS? Want something to target throw in laydowns.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: MajorCraft Speedstyle 610+MH?

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:21 pm

Buy and try! I've been tempted by this particular model myself, but never pulled the trigger.

i_am_R2
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by i_am_R2 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:23 pm

I have been tempted to try as well but don't throw cranks very often. Was thinking for jerkbaits and maybe spinnerbaits but they mentioned it is best for cranks. It has the pts reel seat like other Speedstyle casting models I believe. Hope this helps somewhat.

iabass8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by iabass8 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:00 am

I’m no familiar witht the PTS reel seat. Looking at it, it looks just like am ECS seat or am I missing something?

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:39 am

iabass8 wrote:I’m no familiar witht the PTS reel seat. Looking at it, it looks just like am ECS seat or am I missing something?
It's different - wider, not as comfortable for smallish hands. Just my opinion of course

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:01 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:
iabass8 wrote:I’m no familiar witht the PTS reel seat. Looking at it, it looks just like am ECS seat or am I missing something?
It's different - wider, not as comfortable for smallish hands. Just my opinion of course
^What Mark said^. I sold the Speedstyle rod I had specifically because of the reel seat. I like the ECS seat, but this one just wasn't comfortable for me.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

iabass8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by iabass8 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:04 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:
^What Mark said^. I sold the Speedstyle rod I had specifically because of the reel seat. I like the ECS seat, but this one just wasn't comfortable for me.
Interesting. What was wrong with it? Any other rods have the same style of seat?

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:49 pm

iabass8 wrote:
hoohoorjoo wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:
Interesting. What was wrong with it? Any other rods have the same style of seat?
Like Hogsticker said, its wide and sort of flat directly under the reel. And its built on a tube. The "exposed blank" isnt really exposed, so it robs sensitivity. Its pretty much like fishing a rod with the old-school TCS seat. The Curado rods have that seat, also. I know there's a couple more of the popular shelf rods that have it, like the new Favorite Emperor rods and one other I cant recall right now.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:55 pm

iabass8 wrote:
hoohoorjoo wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:
Nothing wrong with the ECS. Still the best of the bunch imo. The PTS just offers different ergonomics and a more modern look. It's popular with custom rod builds because it can be a painted version, and it doesn't need to be reamed for fitment. Reaming will often crack the paint. As Tim stated, it needs to be mounted using a tube, so you have no direct access to the blank.

iabass8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by iabass8 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:25 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
iabass8 wrote:
hoohoorjoo wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:
Like Hogsticker said, its wide and sort of flat directly under the reel. And its built on a tube. The "exposed blank" isnt really exposed, so it robs sensitivity. Its pretty much like fishing a rod with the old-school TCS seat. The Curado rods have that seat, also. I know there's a couple more of the popular shelf rods that have it, like the new Favorite Emperor rods and one other I cant recall right now.
I believe the current legend elite and new legend X have the PTS seat. I'll check them out locally tomorrow. I'd get the previous generation Flat Side special but the handle is too long for what I prefer for squarebills. Hard to find a specific rod.

iabass8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by iabass8 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:05 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
iabass8 wrote:
hoohoorjoo wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:
Nothing wrong with the ECS. Still the best of the bunch imo. The PTS just offers different ergonomics and a more modern look. It's popular with custom rod builds because it can be a painted version, and it doesn't need to be reamed for fitment. Reaming will often crack the paint. As Tim stated, it needs to be mounted using a tube, so you have no direct access to the blank.
Is the trigger different on the PTS vs the ECS? It's so hard to tell from pictures.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:25 pm

Yes, wider and flatter.

88ms3
Angler
Angler

Post by 88ms3 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:24 pm

I've got the 6'8" MH speedstyle rod but the two piece version. I actually love the reel seat. I personally like to completely palm my reels and this reel seat was designed just for that. I've got small hands and I'm still able to palm depending on the reel. It really shines with a small reel like an okuma Helios air for me. So how much you like it largely depends on what reel you pair it with.