Megabass rod for swimjigs and frogs?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Jrkleba
Angler
Angler

Megabass rod for swimjigs and frogs?

Post by Jrkleba » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:01 pm

New to this site and to the megabass world! Recently picked up a few megabass reels and loved them so much now I'm looking for a few megabass rods my first will be a swimjig/frog rod if possible in the megabass lineup. I have a older st croix avid slop and frog rod which is a 7ft heavy fast that I would like to try and find a rod in the megabass lineup that's close too if possible. Would the fmj be a good comparison? Thanks for the help in advance guys.

BoatBuggy
Angler
Angler

Re: Megabass rod for swimjigs and frogs?

Post by BoatBuggy » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:17 am

I will throw both swimjigs and frogs on my F6 XX Tour Versatile when I'm in someone else's boat and don't have the entire arsenal with me. It does an OK job with both but when I'm in my boat I use a Gen 1 F5 XX Diablo Spec-R for swimjigs and a Gen 1 F7 XX Perfect Pitch for frogs. I can't speak for the FMJ but it's a higher end model than the TV, it's primarily a jig rod and is an F6 power so it will have just enough oomph to confidently haul a bass and a bunch of grass back to the boat and the awesome Megabass tips will fling a swimjig (or chatterbait or big Keitech) a mile if that's what you want it to do.

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:13 am

The FMJ would be an excellent choice for the applications you are describing. There is actually a "as new" FMJ in the classified section. Better act fast, they usually don't last a week.

Welcome to the Megabass world!

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:26 am

I have both a old-model XX Tour Versatile and an FMJ and while they both fish swimjigs quite well, I don't think either of them are close to ideal for frogging. The tip on the TV isnt the best for casting lighter lures and the FMJ, while powerful, does not give me the warm fuzzies for really heavy cover fishing. I do like the FMJ a lot for more open-water frogging or fishing around light-medium dense pads, but for cover I would have to punch though to fish the bottom, I would look to the TV. Even though they are both 6 power rods I feel like the TV has a lot more ass to it then the FMJ once the weight is really on.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:01 am

Those are two pretty disparate techniques. I wouldn't constrain myself to one rod for both, as it would handle neither well, simply so I could get a Megabass. Instead, you should consider a rod for both frogs and pitching and a rod for both swim jigs and squarebills/walkers. Just my 2¢.
This is the way.

Jrkleba
Angler
Angler

Post by Jrkleba » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:25 am

Mixed reviews haha. Would the daemos be able to handle frogs maybe I just keep the st croix avid for frogs?!? And what ratio reel do you guys throw for these applications? Both my megabass reels are is73c's but I like to sometimes go down to a 6.1 for swimjigs to slow myself down.

Bass1980
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bass1980 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:14 pm

Daemos can't handle frogs in pads. My ideal swim jig rod and frog rod doesn't really have the same characteristics. If I had to choose one of the rods I've fished I'd say the C40 Mephisto. Otherwise if you don't want to spend much just get the XXPP. Tip is soft enough to run swim jigs on it but very nice frog rod.

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:03 am

Have to love these kinds of threads so much variance in thoughts, and often interesting opinions of what can handle what in a given situation :-k Good luck in your search, should be fun for you :big grin:

Jrkleba
Angler
Angler

Post by Jrkleba » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:41 am

Haha thanks I just figured if the st croix avid slop and frog can handle both being a 7ft heavy fast action that if I get a megabass rod with similar ratings I should be fine. But that's obviously why I'd ask the question i want opinions and to do research to find the right rod. I'd like to throw this out there as well I'm a kayak fisherman and like to try and take out 2 to 3 rods with me why I like to find rods that can handle multiple applications. I'm in discussions with someone about a diablo fast move at the moment mostly for swimjigs but was said could handle frogs but the tip is a little stiff to walk for his liking. Anybody have info/experience with the diablo fast move?

lds922
Angler
Angler

Post by lds922 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:12 am

You could do both with the XX TV...I use a TV with 17lb FC as my primary jig rod and another TV with 50lb braid as a do-it-all heavy rod...Most of the time with a 2nd frog (my primary frog rod is different), buzzbait, plopper, etc.

I usually fish swimjigs on a different rod (EMTF or DSR) but I have do it on the TV just fine too.

Jrkleba
Angler
Angler

Post by Jrkleba » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:59 pm

Seems like most use the orochi series is there much difference between the destroyer other then price?

bronzebacks
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bronzebacks » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:23 pm

The destroyer are much lighter in my hands and more sensitive. Imho i think its worth the extra 100$

M Perry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by M Perry » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:21 am

Jrkleba wrote:New to this site and to the megabass world! Recently picked up a few megabass reels and loved them so much now I'm looking for a few megabass rods my first will be a swimjig/frog rod if possible in the megabass lineup. I have a older st croix avid slop and frog rod which is a 7ft heavy fast that I would like to try and find a rod in the megabass lineup that's close too if possible. Would the fmj be a good comparison? Thanks for the help in advance guys.

For frogs I find it very hard to beat the XX Perfect Pitch, for swim jigs I opt for the XX DSR. You can substitute the Levante models in their place if you want the cost savings.

M Perry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by M Perry » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:23 am

Jrkleba wrote:Seems like most use the orochi series is there much difference between the destroyer other then price?
There are lots of differences including blanks. actions etc. The increased cost is well worth it in my own opinion. The XX series is great and I use them for a ton of my fishing but the Destroyer series is a definite step upward.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:04 pm

Cal did a review for a frog and the Diablo Spec R was enough to get the job done as a frog rod.

Of the rods I have used: The Orochi X4 711 has been used for both frogs and swim jigs and it has done well but is too long for a frog rod IMO. The Orochi XX PP is a great frog rod yet versatile enough to do some moving bait work but I would rather use it as frog and bottom contact rod. The 72H Hyuga is great at both frogging and moving baits but will struggle to cast anything at or under 1/2 oz total weight but that shouldn't be a problem. My pick is the 72H Hyuga. Get one while you can.