Megabass rod for swimjigs and frogs?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Megabass rod for swimjigs and frogs?

Post by Houndfish » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:35 pm

LowRange wrote: My pick is the 72H Hyuga. Get one while you can.
I am trying to get my Hyuga 72h to work for frogs and spinners/chatters/swimjigs but I can’t fine a line that is thick enough for frogging but also gives enough casting distance for the moving baits. 40lb PP is as low as I want to go for frogs but it hampers casting distance for 1/2oz + trailer moving baits. I also think I prefer a lighter combo for frogging, the 72h w/ a sv103 is decently balanced but is too heavy to be much fun for all day frogging imho.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:08 pm

Houndfish wrote:
LowRange wrote: My pick is the 72H Hyuga. Get one while you can.
I am trying to get my Hyuga 72h to work for frogs and spinners/chatters/swimjigs but I can’t fine a line that is thick enough for frogging but also gives enough casting distance for the moving baits. 40lb PP is as low as I want to go for frogs but it hampers casting distance for 1/2oz + trailer moving baits. I also think I prefer a lighter combo for frogging, the 72h w/ a sv103 is decently balanced but is too heavy to be much fun for all day frogging imho.
The 72H Hyuga is not a great dedicated frog rod but it is more than capable of getting the job done and has a ton of power. I use the Hyuga to drag frogs over mats rather than try and walk them. I prefer the Orochi XX Perfext Pitch for that. The 72H Hyuga is beefy stick but it is not exactly heavy. The SV103 may be part of the problem. At 8 oz it is a beast of a reel. I think the 72H Hyuga is actually lighter weight than my XX Perfect Pitch. I haven't weighed them but the Hyuga it feels significantly lighter in hand but the XX PP is better balanced. This is not to say that the Hyuga is tip heavy or anything. It does feel like a lighter weight reel helps the 72H Hyuga more than the XX PP to reduce fatigue. It is like extra weight of the XX PP is in the handle and closer to the axis of rotation and this somehow reduces fatigue. The PP really was an amazing stick.

I've been using #40 Trilene 8 carrier braid on my Hyuga and have no problem with casting distance. Maybe the 8 carrier helps to reduce friction over 4 carrier Power Pro. My Hyuga can cast a Terminator Walking Frog 70 turns of the handle on an 8:1 Tatula SV. I've also thrown 1/2oz spinnerpaits with it and it has gotten the job done surprisingly well for such a powerful stick. It was a little too stiff to load up and roll cast accurately but would long bomb them out there no problem. I would think a 1/2oz head swim jig with bigger plastic trailer would be great on the rod if you wanted a primary powerful moving bait stick that could also be used for frogs secondarily.
Last edited by LowRange on Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jrkleba
Angler
Angler

Post by Jrkleba » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:13 pm

Really appreciate the feedback guys!

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:40 pm

LowRange wrote:
The 72H Hyuga is not a great dedicated frog rod but it is more than capable of getting the job done and has a ton of power.
The reason I love it as a frog rod and why I’m trying to make it work as one is that my hook up to landing ratio has been so good that I don’t even post about it as no one will believe me. I think the sv103 is a bit heavy for it but it’s such a comfortably palming combo that I again want to try to make it work.

I’m starting to form the opinion that trying to combine frogging with much anything else isn’t going to work out very well as the need to run heavy braid really limits a combo’s versatility. With 55lb Suffix I can do frogs and smaller glidebaits on it but I feel like the rod has a lot more potenial, I just need to keep fussing with it.

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:11 pm

Houndfish wrote:The reason I love it as a frog rod and why I’m trying to make it work as one is that my hook up to landing ratio has been so good that I don’t even post about it as no one will believe me. I think the sv103 is a bit heavy for it but it’s such a comfortably palming combo that I again want to try to make it work.

I’m starting to form the opinion that trying to combine frogging with much anything else isn’t going to work out very well as the need to run heavy braid really limits a combo’s versatility. With 55lb Suffix I can do frogs and smaller glidebaits on it but I feel like the rod has a lot more potenial, I just need to keep fussing with it.
Agree, the hyuga really keeps them pinned.

Maybe an oversized squarebill rod? I have a strange urge to throw the Grenade on it lol...

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:34 pm

I have one one of the big SK squarebills and the 72h does handle it wondefully. I think it will make an excellent spinner/chatterbait rod if I go with more
suitable line.

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:01 pm

The DSR is only good with small frogs in open water. Not my first choice for frogs.

The Valdivia is indeed a sweet frog rod, and will do well with swim jigs through vegetation. The tip is soft and lets the fish take the frog well before you slam the hooks home.