Spinning rod - new Tatula or Phenix Feather

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Spinning rod - new Tatula or Phenix Feather

Post by smalljaw » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:24 am

I'm looking to pair a Daiwa Tatula LT 2500 spinning reel up with a rod in the $150 - $170 range. I'm using it to fish tubes for smallmouth and some general finesse presentations. I originally planned on going all in Daiwa with the new Tatula spinning rods but then I read the review of the Phenix Feather casting rod and went back and looked at the previous spinning rod review. I would be looking at the 7'1" medium which has very similar specs to the Tatula and the same price point but since there is such little info on either rod I'm up in the air. I have already used a friend's Cabela's Arachnid rod that has a similar reel seat to the feather and it was fine, I actually liked it so I doubt the Phenix reel seat will be an issue. I'm really leaning toward the Feather the more I think about it due to it being extremely light and then factor in the TT review saying it has good sensitivity and it only adds to it being the one I go with. So I'd love to listen to someone else's opinion or thoughts, perhaps mentioning something that hasn't crossed my mind yet, any help would be appreciated.
Barlow's Tackle

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Spinning rod - new Tatula or Phenix Feather

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:33 am

Just remember in that review that Cal mentioned Phenix overrated that rod's power. Generally that means they rate a bit different across the board. So that means a Phenix feather that rates almost identical to the Tatula line could actually be much softer or slower depending on exactly which model you get. I don't live in a place where it is easy to put hands on equipment, and I really hate ordering blind without knowing what to expect. Just a cautionary thought.

kstephes033
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by kstephes033 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:15 pm

I’ll start off by mentioning I don’t have the new Tatula to compare to, but have owned the tat elites and original tat rods for comparison. I do have 2 of the Feather 7’1” M rods, and to me the feel closer to a ML+ or a Medium with a med-Fast actoin. I use both of mine specifically for tubes when fishing smallmouth, but when fishing largies or mixed bag lakes I will use the rods for Neko Rigs, Jig worms, bigger Ned rigs (1/8oz+), weightless Senko, have used and caught fish with a spybait on it, have dropshotted with it and it handles everything mentioned well. The rod is super light and comfortable once you get used to the reel seat. I have a Tatula LT 3000 on one of mine for multipurpose use and an older daiwa 3000 size on the other that always has a tube on it with the wider spool. I have no complaints with any of my feather rods and have a bunch now.

5bites
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 5bites » Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:02 pm

Would you say it’s a little light in power for a shakyhead?

kstephes033
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by kstephes033 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:19 pm

I don’t really use them up here in MN, but jigworms are similar and I use them a ton to rip out of the milfoil and the rod works great for them. I use braid to floor leader so that does help to make it a little “stiffer” compared to just floro. I wouldn’t say you would have an issue with it at all.

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:20 am

If the taper on the 7'1m Phenix is similar to the ML, it would be too slow to really crack a tube imo. Shaking, dropshotting, no problem. But when I want to really "pop" 1/6 - 1/4oz jigheads + trailer or tubes, the tip action is too slow on the Feather.

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:06 pm

reason162 wrote:If the taper on the 7'1m Phenix is similar to the ML, it would be too slow to really crack a tube imo. Shaking, dropshotting, no problem. But when I want to really "pop" 1/6 - 1/4oz jigheads + trailer or tubes, the tip action is too slow on the Feather.
I read the review and looked at the RoD data that TT did on the light powered Feather. Based on that and the fact the rod is an actual fast action I would think the medium power is fine. I make my own tube jigs for spinning tackle using an Owner 5318 hook in a 2/0, about the only rod I couldn't get full penetration with would be an UL panfish rod. I have used a ML rod in the past and it was fine but based on the TT review and data along with the lure rating (1/8oz - 3/4) I'm sure it falls closer to medium than medium light. I know lure ratings don't mean much but at 3/4oz I'm guessing it would be closer to 1/2oz or 5/8oz and that along with a fast action would be more than enough to fish the tubes on the jigs I pour for them. BTW, I'm not "cracking" tubes like they do in the Great Lakes, I'm slow dragging and hopping tubes in water that is less than 12' most of the time.
Barlow's Tackle

kstephes033
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by kstephes033 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:01 pm

I make my tube jigs using the same hooks, never have an issue hooking up with this rod and have used it for basically a full season at this point. Again I don’t think you would have any issues with it for what you are wanting to use it for. They do make the 7’1” H if you wanted a heavier model, buddy of mine has that one but it has too much backbone for my liking, I personally like my spinning gear to be a little on the lighter side though to absorb those smallies at the boat when the decide they want to get away from the damn boat. Plus with braid I like it to be a little more forgiving as well, personal preference though.

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:46 pm

smalljaw wrote:BTW, I'm not "cracking" tubes like they do in the Great Lakes, I'm slow dragging and hopping tubes in water that is less than 12' most of the time.
You'll be fine with the Feather then, and no issues with hook penetration. I was more thinking about snapping a jig/tube (cracking, w/e) on a little slack line: the rod is too mushy for that.

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:34 am

reason162 wrote:
smalljaw wrote:BTW, I'm not "cracking" tubes like they do in the Great Lakes, I'm slow dragging and hopping tubes in water that is less than 12' most of the time.
You'll be fine with the Feather then, and no issues with hook penetration. I was more thinking about snapping a jig/tube (cracking, w/e) on a little slack line: the rod is too mushy for that.
I thought that was what you meant and I appreciate the advice but I should have been more specific. I have other spinning rods that let me throw flukes and light finesse jigs that are capable of snap jigging a tube. I was kind of sold on the new Tatula since the reel is a Tatula LT and the fact that everyone really like the original Tatula rods. After going back and reading the review on the Feather again it made me wonder if I should do some more research because I'm liking the minimal build and weight but I do trust the Daiwa name and I like the look of the Tatula and the fact it got rave reviews for the 1st generation. As of right now I'm still leaning Feather but I still have time so I'll continue looking for information and maybe find a retailer close enough that has one I could actually hold in hand but that is a longshot. Thanks again for the help, I really appreciate it.
Barlow's Tackle

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:39 pm

I had the 1st gen tatula rod and a phenix feather, both in medium power. Hands down, the feather is more sensitive, and the feather was a little lighter than the tatula in power. The tip on the feather is softer, but I would still pick it over the tatula. I never use spinning gear at all, so both were sold off.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.