Megabass levante

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
daiwafan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Megabass levante

Post by daiwafan » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:19 am

Just picked up a Diablo Spec R to try out. Gonna see if I can catch something on it this evening.

Overall I would say that it looks like a much more expensive rod given the nice reel seat and appointments. The first couple of guides are a little on the large size for my tastes but that is a small detail....

daiwafan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by daiwafan » Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:54 pm

Well I ended up catching a few 1 pounders and the rod performed well. I would say the sensitivity is about what one would expect for a rod in this price point. The balance point is about 3/4 inch in front of the reel locking nut with a tatula sv reel and it does not feel tip heavy. Overall I think the rod will perform well for what I will use it for.
Last edited by daiwafan on Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

evilcatfish
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by evilcatfish » Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:43 am

Has anyone gotten a chance to handle the enforcer model yet? I'm going to pair one with a 3000 size Daiwa, and while I was planning on a fuego lt, I'm wondering if a slightly heavier reel like a BG would be a better option? Unfortunately nobody locally has these rods so I'm going in blind and want to get it right

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:23 am

I think I now have my eye on the Leviathan. I picked up a Dobyn's 795 this past fall but feels underpowered for my needs. From the rating it looks like the Leviathan will be a good step up in power but I would love to hear the thoughts of anyone who has laid hands on one.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:13 am

Houndfish wrote:I think I now have my eye on the Leviathan. I picked up a Dobyn's 795 this past fall but feels underpowered for my needs. From the rating it looks like the Leviathan will be a good step up in power but I would love to hear the thoughts of anyone who has laid hands on one.
You might want to check on the rear grip length of that rod. The 1st gen was a little short for my liking for swimbaits. Not sure about the gen 2, as I haven't held that specific model.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:46 am

hoohoorjoo wrote: You might want to check on the rear grip length of that rod. The 1st gen was a little short for my liking for swimbaits. Not sure about the gen 2, as I haven't held that specific model.
The shorter grip is part of the appeal! Or at least it is for me.

Fishing small ponds/lakes from the bank and from my yak in general I can't stand long grips. The biggest baits I want to throw are the BBZ 50 Rat and a 68 Special. So nothing huge where I need 24" of leverage to make a good cast. What I think I want to throw them is a short SE Asian snakehead rod, but I have gone too weak/too short twice now so I want to get a more normal swimbait rod to try before I go even weirder.

evilcatfish
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by evilcatfish » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:16 pm

I believe the new leviathan features a longer handle than the first generation

Mike son
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mike son » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:50 am

Houndfish wrote:
hoohoorjoo wrote: You might want to check on the rear grip length of that rod. The 1st gen was a little short for my liking for swimbaits. Not sure about the gen 2, as I haven't held that specific model.

Fishing small ponds/lakes from the bank and from my yak in general I can't stand long grips. The biggest baits I want to throw are the BBZ 50 Rat and a 68 Special. So nothing huge where I need 24" of leverage to make a good cast. What I think I want to throw them is a short SE Asian snakehead rod, but I have gone too weak/too short twice now so I want to get a more normal swimbait rod to try before I go even weirder.
The short handle is nice for treble baits or anything where you need to twitch or pump the rod. I have the gen 1 orochi xx leviathan I use for all my swimbaits. Great for glide baits and anything treble. I want a longer handle for more underarm leverage for setting the jig hook on the hudd 68 weedless. I use fluorocarbon fwiw. Something odd about it when swinging upward with an 11oz round reel, I have to mind myself to tuck the handle before I swing. I'll be interested to hear an on the water review with the new levante leviathan. Just wish it had an offset handle.

M Perry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by M Perry » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:27 pm

evilcatfish wrote:I believe the new leviathan features a longer handle than the first generation
You are correct. I will verify on actual length but the XX G2 handle is 4" longer than G1. I don't have a G1 Levante Leviathan here at home to check actual difference.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:16 am

Oh the heartbreak. My short-handle search may have to continue. I would love to know the handle length of the G2 Levante Leviathan, if it's close to the Fury 795c then I think the extra OAL could make it work for me.

The JDM line up looks more appealing the more often I stare at it. I like shorter rods and the $200 price point is right where my comfort level is for my kayak rods. M Perry, do you know if the USDM and JDM lines are the same blanks/components?

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:08 am

Generally aside from guide trains(in some instances but i have yet to look at these seriously but the multi piece variants are definitely in my happy zone!) they should be the same in my humble opinion but of course Mr. P or Mr. Wood can give you the most correct answer but my guess is they would share components especially blank tech which is generally been the case between us and jdm lines aside from the typical length, action or taper differences.m :-k

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:16 am

Send out the signal :lol:

M Perry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by M Perry » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:06 am

Houndfish wrote:Oh the heartbreak. My short-handle search may have to continue. I would love to know the handle length of the G2 Levante Leviathan, if it's close to the Fury 795c then I think the extra OAL could make it work for me.

The JDM line up looks more appealing the more often I stare at it. I like shorter rods and the $200 price point is right where my comfort level is for my kayak rods. M Perry, do you know if the USDM and JDM lines are the same blanks/components?
Yes, the JDM and the USDM Levantes share same blank and components. Only differences are actions. I will have new Leviathan handle length measurements in a bit. Thanks

389Maverick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 389Maverick » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:20 am

M Perry wrote:
Houndfish wrote:Oh the heartbreak. My short-handle search may have to continue. I would love to know the handle length of the G2 Levante Leviathan, if it's close to the Fury 795c then I think the extra OAL could make it work for me.

Yes, the JDM and the USDM Levantes share same blank and components. Only differences are actions. I will have new Leviathan handle length measurements in a bit. Thanks
JDM has the matte reel seat finish, USDM has the glossy finish, subtle difference, but I do really like the matte finish.
Canadian arm to what is Megabass of America
Instagram @m.a.dufour

M Perry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by M Perry » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:24 pm

Houndfish wrote:

From rear edge of reel seat to butt of rod is 15 1/2" on new Levante Leviathan