Bass spinning rods for rock fishing, is that possible?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
wirinhar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Bass spinning rods for rock fishing, is that possible?

Post by wirinhar » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:37 pm

Hi All.

I was told that i can't use bass rods for rock fishing and It will damage the guides as well as the rod handle due to the saltwater unless I am using titanium guides and preferable carbon/eva handle. :( :( :( ...cork handle is not recommended :shock: :shock: :shock: , I was like.... Huh....

Also 6 footer casting/spinning rod tends to loose lots of fish while 7'5" with Extra Fast action is preferable for those who are using fluorocarbon and Fast action for braid anglers...

Any rock anglers here who are interested in sharing info.

Thank you all in advance.

Regards,
WW

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Bass spinning rods for rock fishing, is that possible?

Post by Dalleinf » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:43 pm

I have used many different “freshwater” rods for saltwater fishing for many years. Cork handles generally haven’t been a problem. I always rinse/clean my rods thoroughly after use in saltwater (reels too). I did have one 1st gen Abu Vendetta rod which did suffer quite a bit of corrosion at the guides despite cleansing...
Note, that the salinity in your local waters may be different than in mine.

I typically use 8-10’ rods for inshore fishing to get better casting distance. Since I use moving baits, eg spoons with treble hooks, and braided line I mostly use rods that are regular-fast/fast in action. Never extra fast.

wirinhar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by wirinhar » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:35 am

Dalleinf wrote:I have used many different “freshwater” rods for saltwater fishing for many years. Cork handles generally haven’t been a problem. I always rinse/clean my rods thoroughly after use in saltwater (reels too). I did have one 1st gen Abu Vendetta rod which did suffer quite a bit of corrosion at the guides despite cleansing...
Note, that the salinity in your local waters may be different than in mine.

I typically use 8-10’ rods for inshore fishing to get better casting distance. Since I use moving baits, eg spoons with treble hooks, and braided line I mostly use rods that are regular-fast/fast in action. Never extra fast.
Thank you so much for the great information, Dalleinf!!!

Anyway my friends have landed small groupers, mangrove jacks (between 4 or 5 pounder) and the biggest was 12 lb barramundi using soft plastic bait (Zerek Shrimp, 7 to 8 grams). Treble hooks are not recommended at all :doh: :doh: :doh:
Zerek.jpg
Zerek.jpg (215.55 KiB) Viewed 4742 times
Today, I followed my friend to his regular spot and tested his favorite NRX 803C JWR + Shimano Chronach CI4 and the sensitivity is just marvelous but the casting is not that far at all... I am so sorry I am not a great caster

I also tested his G.Loomis SHR821S Shaky head spinning rod + Exist Branzino2508R, i could cast further but it is not as sensitive as the NRX803C though, I guess that might be due to the different material of each rod
branzino.jpg
branzino.jpg (249.88 KiB) Viewed 4742 times
Since this spot has so many structures and treble hooks are not recommended at all (only top water plugs are ok) so please help me to choose one rods below only if you all don't mind.
Gloomis NRX 902S JWR
Gloomis Conquest 902S SJR
St. Croix Legend Elite ES76MF
Steez AGS STZ761mmlfs-ags

Sorry that I am asking too much cause those rods above are not available locally in my place and that's why i need information from those who have tried one of those rods above or any suggestion for 7' to 7'6" to play on a rocky area will be greatly appreciated.

Once again, thank you to Dalleinf and thank you all in advance.

WW

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:36 am

Sounds like some very fun fishing.
I must admit that the rods you mention are not generally available to me either. Of the rod series you mention, the only series I have tried are the St Croix Legend Elite (casting) rods and they are very nice. I would personally go for a 7’6” (over a 7’) - it will give you a couple of feet in casting distance and will make it easier to steer lures and fish around rocks and vegetation. I would probably get the St Croix because I like the series and because they are cheaper than the other rods :lol:

Are you mainly going to throw 7-8 gram lures? (The Daiwa is rated quite low in casting weight compared to the other rods).

Before you buy, I think you should wait for responses from other TT members who may have used the rods that you mention.

Good luck with your purchase.
Cheers Michael

darrin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by darrin » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:58 pm

Hi Wirinhar,

You will have no problem using bass spinning gear in saltwater. I live in California and I rockfish with light gear all the time. I use 7' rods rated only 6-12lb and catch plenty of rockfish and the occasional ling cod! I use braid (10lb up to 20 lb) with a fluorocarbon leader and 60 - 80 gram jigs. I'm currently using a Phenix M1. No need to use expensive rods, either. Of the rods you've listed, I'd go for the St Croix. I like longer rods for fun fishing and the St Croix has a lot of power. The only drawback is the short handle...can't stick the rod in your armpit for leverage. The last time I went, I ended up with an arm cramp and had to end the day a little early! Like Michael, I just do a quick rinse with water afterwards and the rod is good to go. Enjoy light tackle spin fishing in the ocean. It's a blast!

wirinhar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by wirinhar » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:28 am

Dalleinf wrote:Sounds like some very fun fishing.
I must admit that the rods you mention are not generally available to me either. Of the rod series you mention, the only series I have tried are the St Croix Legend Elite (casting) rods and they are very nice. I would personally go for a 7’6” (over a 7’) - it will give you a couple of feet in casting distance and will make it easier to steer lures and fish around rocks and vegetation. I would probably get the St Croix because I like the series and because they are cheaper than the other rods :lol:

Are you mainly going to throw 7-8 gram lures? (The Daiwa is rated quite low in casting weight compared to the other rods).

Before you buy, I think you should wait for responses from other TT members who may have used the rods that you mention.

Good luck with your purchase.
Cheers Michael
Hi Michael,

went out this afternoon to test on my St Croix Legend Xtreme 6'6" today.... (Pe 3 braided and 30lb/2 foot long/ fluorocarbon leader).... cast that shrimp lure about 30m/32 yards and it is good enough for rock fishing, the sensitivity was ok.

later in that late afternoon when the wind started blowing..... casted even further, no more sensitivity and i believe this is due to the line, weight, wave, wind and so and on :crying: :crying: :crying: ...

Ordered the Legend Elite and i was told it will take at least 2 to 3 months and confirmed, 5 hours later.... the price increased 12% from original price which i was quoted... ](*,) ](*,) ](*,).... cheese off and I cancelled it =D> =D> =D> , The excuses is the St Croix has just increased the price.... I am used to hear all that and it is so common here... :laugh1: :laugh1: :laugh1: Anyway, all high end rods are basically upon request and I fully understood. price changes like a stock market =D> =D> =D>

Now, I am still waiting information from Daiwa :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

For Gloomis NRX, I could get it from Tabao Online with a much better price and just waiting information for freight cost and insurance :)

For Conquest 902, I think I have no problem in getting it from TTT \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

Also one more rod i trust, The G Rods International.... and hope they will help me out in checking what will be the best rod for me \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

Anyway, I am still waiting for more inputs from experts over here.

Once again thank you, Michael.

Regards,
WW

wirinhar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by wirinhar » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:51 am

darrin wrote:Hi Wirinhar,

You will have no problem using bass spinning gear in saltwater. I live in California and I rockfish with light gear all the time. I use 7' rods rated only 6-12lb and catch plenty of rockfish and the occasional ling cod! I use braid (10lb up to 20 lb) with a fluorocarbon leader and 60 - 80 gram jigs. I'm currently using a Phenix M1. No need to use expensive rods, either. Of the rods you've listed, I'd go for the St Croix. I like longer rods for fun fishing and the St Croix has a lot of power. The only drawback is the short handle...can't stick the rod in your armpit for leverage. The last time I went, I ended up with an arm cramp and had to end the day a little early! Like Michael, I just do a quick rinse with water afterwards and the rod is good to go. Enjoy light tackle spin fishing in the ocean. It's a blast!
Thanks for info, Darrin.

Agree with you on the short handle on Stroix and I bought the Fuji gimbal cap BRCGC22 for my st croix rod just to balance it.
balance.jpg
balance.jpg (105.72 KiB) Viewed 4681 times
also just finished rinsing and lubricating the bearing :)
bearing oil.jpg
bearing oil.jpg (273.52 KiB) Viewed 4681 times
Thanks again!!!

WW