Javelin as bottom contact rod?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
hungry_cow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Javelin as bottom contact rod?

Post by hungry_cow » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:21 pm

Does anyone use the Destroyer USA Javelin as a bottom contact rod? I have a Nautilus with a shortened handle that I use as my primary jig/worm rod but lately have been using the Javelin for jigs, texas rigs, and swing heads with great success also. While the Javelin is my favorite rod for single hook moving baits I have been enjoying it for bottom contact lately as well. The balance is a tad tip heavy and not the lightest rod in the world, but in my hands it still has fantastic sensitivity and my hookup and landing ratio with jigs and texas rigs has been fantastic. I use 12 lb Tatsu for bottom contact and it seems to be just perfect to protect the line and still power the hooksets. The combination of its length, power, and moderate fast action seems to really drive the hook home and always keep them pinned. Anyone else using it as a primary bottom contact rod even though that's not what it was designed for?

FamKench
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Javelin as bottom contact rod?

Post by FamKench » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:56 pm

I use mine mainly as a squarebill rod, but I also throw a jighead and grub on it, bouncing it off the bottom slowly. It is pretty sensitive and super versatile. I also added a Luna Sea Cush-it (inshore all species model fits perfectly, it's the smallest they offer) to the butt. I could not get used to the small butt. The cush-it helps my casts tremendously both in accuracy and distance; balanced the rod more; and when tucked against my body, makes for positive and strong hook sets when bottom contact fishing.

Give one a try on your Javelin.

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:12 am

I haven't used it yet but after holding it I would not have a problem using it as a bottom contact. this is all relative to how are your style of fishing is and what you choose as your combination ;) in fact I might like it a little bit more than the Daemos :-k because it has a bit of a softer tip in my hands and more of a versatile action that I personally have grown to be accustomed to with megabass rods in particular. It all depends of course on your style because it all is subjective but I'm sure some people that have actually fish the rod will chime in like I said my choices from that 17 US Destroyer line were the Daemos and the FMJ. It will more than likely find it its way into my stable for sure 8-)

Bass1980
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bass1980 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:53 am

I've used mine for Texas Rig and it did just fine. I like my Trigs to have a softer tip than my Jig rod. It's true the Daemos doesn't have the traditional MB tip, very American rod like, but it's one of my favorite rod regardless. The Javeline is the versatile one of that line and it has enough backbone to handle bottom contact. Some has said they think the Nautilus has more power but to me the Javeline has like .35 more power :lol:

Revofisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Revofisher » Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:23 pm

i have two of the javelin rods and i do throw bottom contact on them with not problem. I really like mine for blade baits and paddle tails on jig heads, even though these aren't traditional bottom contact baits i fish them on the bottom like i would a jig. I have also thrown 1/4 oz texas rigged robo worms on it and manage great hook sets. I have the fmj and valdiva as well but the javelin without a doubt is super versatile and cast great as well you can really launch some baits with that rod.