New Dobyn's Series

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Mavn
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Re: New Dobyn's Series

Postby Mavn » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:19 pm

BRONZEBACK32 wrote:Why is there no medium casting?

I remember reading Gary saying he doesn't sell enough of the 2 power rods to justify making it in the xtasy line up.

papagravey
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Postby papagravey » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:21 pm

Would love a review from whomever gets their hands on this first

Heddonfrog
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Postby Heddonfrog » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:23 pm

Ordered a 755 Sunday night and if I receive it by Thursday, I’ll be able to fish it Friday...though I’m having a hard time figuring out what I’ll need it for fishing Lake Michigan for smallies (excuse to buy some 3/4oz & 1oz Dark Sleepers? Maybe so) Don’t think I’ve ever taken a casting rod over a med/hev out there...but! I shall figure something out even if it’s just sacrificing an hour or so to provide a mini-report to enquiring minds

papagravey
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Postby papagravey » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:14 am

Heddonfrog wrote:Ordered a 755 Sunday night and if I receive it by Thursday, I’ll be able to fish it Friday...though I’m having a hard time figuring out what I’ll need it for fishing Lake Michigan for smallies (excuse to buy some 3/4oz & 1oz Dark Sleepers? Maybe so) Don’t think I’ve ever taken a casting rod over a med/hev out there...but! I shall figure something out even if it’s just sacrificing an hour or so to provide a mini-report to enquiring minds

You I’m looking forward to this. I had a 736 glass Champion but I wasn’t in love with it but that was a composite rod. I want to try another dobyns to see if I like the company

blkfalc4
Angler
Angler

Postby blkfalc4 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:29 pm

papagravey wrote:
Heddonfrog wrote:Ordered a 755 Sunday night and if I receive it by Thursday, I’ll be able to fish it Friday...though I’m having a hard time figuring out what I’ll need it for fishing Lake Michigan for smallies (excuse to buy some 3/4oz & 1oz Dark Sleepers? Maybe so) Don’t think I’ve ever taken a casting rod over a med/hev out there...but! I shall figure something out even if it’s just sacrificing an hour or so to provide a mini-report to enquiring minds

You I’m looking forward to this. I had a 736 glass Champion but I wasn’t in love with it but that was a composite rod. I want to try another dobyns to see if I like the company

Love my 736cb for throwing 1/2 chatters.

Heddonfrog
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Postby Heddonfrog » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:41 pm

papagravey wrote:

I had the same rod and used it maybe 4 times before selling it. A buddy who is a fan of the rod (but does not have any experience with other brands of rods) asked me why and I said “because I feel like I’m fishing with two arm casts on” it’s clumsy, heavy and casts inaccurately. I replaced it with a G-Rod Pro Bass BA-7MH-1C and that rod is light years ahead of the Champ 736CB. The Pro Bass can do everything the 736CB does as well as everything a Champion HP 704 can do and 90% of what a 705 can do. I got the Pro Bass BA-73H-1C for heavy jigging and bladed jigs up to 1-1/2ozs but it’s not a jig rod more like a swim bait/A-rig rod. Takes over 1-1/2oz baits to start to load the tip. I would consider it a 2X-Mag heavy...so I got the DRX-755 as my primary 3/4 to 1oz jig rod. I have the tracking # now and am expecting it on Wednesday. I hope to have some on the water time with it this week and a few thoughts to post this weekend

Return to “Rods”