New Dobyn's Series

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Meleagris1
Angler
Angler

Re: New Dobyn's Series

Post by Meleagris1 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:35 am

Just to put all info on one thread here is what I posted previously . . .

I just got a 753SF. First impressions were fit and finish are great. The AAAA cork is the best I have ever seen on any fishing rod. The action feels similar to my extremes, a true fast action, very crisp. The rod is perfectly balanced like all Dobyns but its really light - comparing it to my Extreme HP 741SF its actually feels lighter in weight despite being an inch longer and 2 powers heavier. Sensitivity is a subjective thing but I can say for me, without a doubt, this is the most sensitive rod I have ever used. The price is high so a lot of people understandably will write this rod off but I don't think anyone who picks one up with be disappointed they dropped the $. I run mostly champions for moving baits and extremes for bottom contact baits but will be adding a few of the Xtasy for specific finesse applications - possibly a heavier jig rod.

Heddonfrog
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Heddonfrog » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:39 pm

First off I’m going to edit myself regarding the looks of DRX. I said it looked rather pedestrian for a $500 plus rod. It’s growing on me. In sunlight the Kevlar wrapping gives it some very nice detailing and I like the unsanded blank

————————

I fished my DRX & Bantam rig for about 4hrs for what it was intended for on Thursday October 25th. I fished jigs from 1/4oz to 1oz in 6’ to 20+’ of water. I’d still give my former NRX the nod in ultimate sensitivity by just a hair but overall I like fishing the 755 more. Way more. In a general way, I absolutely love the extra length whether fishing from the boat or just kicking around on shore. In particular, I was able to get great distances and extremely accurate casts & pitches. Even as a mag-hvy and at 7-5 it has that precision scalpel like feel to it but unlike any high-end Loomis rod, that to me always feels dainty & fragile...this feels powerful. It’s a strange feeling of light, crisp and balanced while at the same time feeling powerful and virtually indestructible. I hope that makes sense. I have some G-rods Pro Bass Rods and they are the most powerful rods I’ve ever owned but even my 7’ MH which only weighs 4.5oz lacks that precision surgical feel to it. If my G-rods are my baseline for power at a 10 I score the DRX as an 8. If the NRX’s are my baseline for sensitivity at a 10 the DRX to me is a 9. I only rate GLX’ & NRX’s as a 5 in power. So it has great sensitivity, excellent casting abilities and is powerful...I would have no reservations using this to cast spoons for 20-25lb Kings.
—————
Bait handling. I was worried it would not handle baits to its max of 1-1/2oz, I guess I shouldn’t have. I tied on a 1oz tungsten jig (weighs 1-1/8 w/hook & skirt) and a magnum rage bug (1/2oz) I went just over and had no problems working the jig (down to 20’) properly nor did it feel like I was overloading the tip while casting. Again, just by holding it and due to that lighter tip you don’t realize it’s actually a powerful rod. I also fished it with 1/4 & 3/8oz jigs and Jumbo Pork and it was just as impressive or more so on the lower end of its lure weight spectrum. A lot of heavy and most all Mag-hvy rods I’ve used over the years, just don’t like casting light baits...the DRX has no problems with the lighter stuff and it’s still as much a pleasure to throw them as the 1/2 & 3/4oz baits. It has a very wide sweet-spot.

I’m definitely getting a 754 because I’m pretty sure it’s going to end up being one of the most versatile rods I’ve ever owned.

Here’s my first nice LM on the DRX jigging in 20’
Attachments
C7EBCF5F-CDE4-49F6-A81E-3E38E90EB924.jpeg
C7EBCF5F-CDE4-49F6-A81E-3E38E90EB924.jpeg (49.74 KiB) Viewed 9180 times
Last edited by Heddonfrog on Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:41 pm

thx for the review

Reservoir
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Reservoir » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:03 pm

I’m pretty excited about this series, I can’t wait see one in person.

DudaFishing
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by DudaFishing » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:43 pm

Still one of the ugliest brands. They need to hire a graphic designer.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:57 pm

DudaFishing wrote:Still one of the ugliest brands. They need to hire a graphic designer.
I wouldn't call them ugly, but they do leave something to be desired.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Heddonfrog
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Heddonfrog » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:50 pm

DudaFishing wrote:Still one of the ugliest brands. They need to hire a graphic designer.
I don’t know. I think their logo looks pretty good on the trunk lid :D

I’ve always joked that their rod graphics looked like they were drawn up on a napkin on a poker night break. Roll the Xtasy’s logo side away from you and it’s a very good looking rod.
Attachments
DD32A523-FD45-4C5F-877D-8242661EED6F.jpeg
DD32A523-FD45-4C5F-877D-8242661EED6F.jpeg (81.21 KiB) Viewed 8498 times

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:56 pm

Heddonfrog wrote:
I don’t know. I think their logo looks pretty good on the trunk lid :D

I’ve always joked that their rod graphics looked like they were drawn up on a napkin on a poker night break. Roll the Xtasy’s logo side away from you and it’s a very good looking rod.
Sweet Ride Heddon! Slap a 13Fishing Logo on the other side and you would have a Concept Z/Dobyn's combo

Reservoir
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Reservoir » Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:07 pm

Looks great, I can’t wait to hold one.

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:19 am

...And in less than 3 short months, they are heading to the bargin basement section. 15% off origional retail. I'm sure it is a great rod, but it's also a testement to lack of a high end rod market here in the US (or at least one cornered one by GLoomis). Probobly was not a good move introducing these before Christmas, when other high end rods were going to be discounted. A rod in this price range generally would not be gifted, it would be purchased by a hardcore Dobyn's fan.
Duckett (not that they could be considered a true rod builder) was going to try this experiment with a Black Ice series he announced at ICast a couple of years back. That never worked out. 13 Fishing failed (miserably) in this catagory as well.
Pretty much all the same business model. Contract Asian labor force to build a rod with high end components, bring nothing new to the table.

falcon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by falcon » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:37 am

Hard for me to even consider shelling out that much coin on a made in China rod plus I always thought the extremes were lacking for the price let alone add another $200. You gotta be a big dobyns supporter to even consider this rod. I do like the models offered dobyns sure does that well

Loomis did it right though they had all those so called rep sample rods on the market. Give you a sense of a great deal get you hooked on the product and the rest is history. Their QC is still garbage however
Legend Alpha 211/Merc 250 Pro XS

Heddonfrog
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Heddonfrog » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:31 am

Aquaftm45 wrote:...And in less than 3 short months, they are heading to the bargin basement section. 15% off origional retail. I'm sure it is a great rod, but it's also a testement to lack of a high end rod market here in the US (or at least one cornered one by GLoomis). Probobly was not a good move introducing these before Christmas, when other high end rods were going to be discounted. A rod in this price range generally would not be gifted, it would be purchased by a hardcore Dobyn's fan.
Duckett (not that they could be considered a true rod builder) was going to try this experiment with a Black Ice series he announced at ICast a couple of years back. That never worked out. 13 Fishing failed (miserably) in this catagory as well.
Pretty much all the same business model. Contract Asian labor force to build a rod with high end components, bring nothing new to the table.
Ahh, don’t you just love it when a person with no interest or hands on experience with a particular rod or reel, that we happen to be interested in, jumps on the ole’ soap box to pontificate the negatives with their deep understanding of how things really are and work in the world of tackle manufacturers...man I wish TT had that hand-on-face emoji I have on my phone