New Dobyn's Series

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Mavn
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:04 am

Re: New Dobyn's Series

Postby Mavn » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:19 pm

BRONZEBACK32 wrote:Why is there no medium casting?


I remember reading Gary saying he doesn't sell enough of the 2 power rods to justify making it in the xtasy line up.

papagravey
Angler
Angler
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:24 pm

Re: New Dobyn's Series

Postby papagravey » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:21 pm

Would love a review from whomever gets their hands on this first

Heddonfrog
Angler
Angler
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:53 am

Re: New Dobyn's Series

Postby Heddonfrog » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:23 pm

Ordered a 755 Sunday night and if I receive it by Thursday, I’ll be able to fish it Friday...though I’m having a hard time figuring out what I’ll need it for fishing Lake Michigan for smallies (excuse to buy some 3/4oz & 1oz Dark Sleepers? Maybe so) Don’t think I’ve ever taken a casting rod over a med/hev out there...but! I shall figure something out even if it’s just sacrificing an hour or so to provide a mini-report to enquiring minds

papagravey
Angler
Angler
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:24 pm

Re: New Dobyn's Series

Postby papagravey » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:14 am

Heddonfrog wrote:Ordered a 755 Sunday night and if I receive it by Thursday, I’ll be able to fish it Friday...though I’m having a hard time figuring out what I’ll need it for fishing Lake Michigan for smallies (excuse to buy some 3/4oz & 1oz Dark Sleepers? Maybe so) Don’t think I’ve ever taken a casting rod over a med/hev out there...but! I shall figure something out even if it’s just sacrificing an hour or so to provide a mini-report to enquiring minds

You I’m looking forward to this. I had a 736 glass Champion but I wasn’t in love with it but that was a composite rod. I want to try another dobyns to see if I like the company

User avatar
blkfalc4
Angler
Angler
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:11 pm
Location: New Bedford, MA

Re: New Dobyn's Series

Postby blkfalc4 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:29 pm

papagravey wrote:
Heddonfrog wrote:Ordered a 755 Sunday night and if I receive it by Thursday, I’ll be able to fish it Friday...though I’m having a hard time figuring out what I’ll need it for fishing Lake Michigan for smallies (excuse to buy some 3/4oz & 1oz Dark Sleepers? Maybe so) Don’t think I’ve ever taken a casting rod over a med/hev out there...but! I shall figure something out even if it’s just sacrificing an hour or so to provide a mini-report to enquiring minds

You I’m looking forward to this. I had a 736 glass Champion but I wasn’t in love with it but that was a composite rod. I want to try another dobyns to see if I like the company


Love my 736cb for throwing 1/2 chatters.

Heddonfrog
Angler
Angler
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:53 am

Re: New Dobyn's Series

Postby Heddonfrog » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:41 pm

papagravey wrote:
Heddonfrog wrote:Ordered a 755 Sunday night and if I receive it by Thursday, I’ll be able to fish it Friday...though I’m having a hard time figuring out what I’ll need it for fishing Lake Michigan for smallies (excuse to buy some 3/4oz & 1oz Dark Sleepers? Maybe so) Don’t think I’ve ever taken a casting rod over a med/hev out there...but! I shall figure something out even if it’s just sacrificing an hour or so to provide a mini-report to enquiring minds

You I’m looking forward to this. I had a 736 glass Champion but I wasn’t in love with it but that was a composite rod. I want to try another dobyns to see if I like the company


I had the same rod and used it maybe 4 times before selling it. A buddy who is a fan of the rod (but does not have any experience with other brands of rods) asked me why and I said “because I feel like I’m fishing with two arm casts on” it’s clumsy, heavy and casts inaccurately. I replaced it with a G-Rod Pro Bass BA-7MH-1C and that rod is light years ahead of the Champ 736CB. The Pro Bass can do everything the 736CB does as well as everything a Champion HP 704 can do and 90% of what a 705 can do. I got the Pro Bass BA-73H-1C for heavy jigging and bladed jigs up to 1-1/2ozs but it’s not a jig rod more like a swim bait/A-rig rod. Takes over 1-1/2oz baits to start to load the tip. I would consider it a 2X-Mag heavy...so I got the DRX-755 as my primary 3/4 to 1oz jig rod. I have the tracking # now and am expecting it on Wednesday. I hope to have some on the water time with it this week and a few thoughts to post this weekend

dtacker
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 68
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:07 pm

Re: New Dobyn's Series

Postby dtacker » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:17 pm

Heddonfrog wrote:
papagravey wrote:
Heddonfrog wrote: “because I feel like I’m fishing with two arm casts on” it’s clumsy, heavy and casts inaccurately.


I'm sorry, but a rod simply does not cast inaccurately. It may be harder for you to cast versus other rods... but a rod does not cast inaccurately. That's entirely false. Unless it somehow loads differently on every single cast you make, that simply does not make sense at all. Not going to disagree with your feelings on the rod outside of that because that can be 100% the way you feel about it and that's ok. A rod casting inaccurately is something you can try to make sense of if you'd like, but it will never be true.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator
Posts: 3988
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:56 pm
Location: Oxford GA

Re: New Dobyn's Series

Postby hoohoorjoo » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:24 pm

dtacker wrote:
Heddonfrog wrote:
papagravey wrote:
Heddonfrog wrote: “because I feel like I’m fishing with two arm casts on” it’s clumsy, heavy and casts inaccurately.


I'm sorry, but a rod simply does not cast inaccurately. It may be harder for you to cast versus other rods... but a rod does not cast inaccurately. That's entirely false. Unless it somehow loads differently on every single cast you make, that simply does not make sense at all.

I beg to differ with you because a rod absolutely will be inaccurate, IF the rod isnt built correctly on the spine. It will load and unload with a twisting motion, not just a flex back and forth. Its like a pitcher throwing a curve ball. I promise you, this can happen, because I had 2 identical factory rods once that I ordered at the same time from the same retailer. I sent one back because it just wouldn't cast where I pointed it. The other one was like an extension of my arm, in that the lure went where I was aiming every time. With the bad one, I could actually feel the torque of the blank as it twisted on the backcast.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Heddonfrog
Angler
Angler
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:53 am

Re: New Dobyn's Series

Postby Heddonfrog » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:20 pm

dtacker wrote:
Heddonfrog wrote:
papagravey wrote:
Heddonfrog wrote: “because I feel like I’m fishing with two arm casts on” it’s clumsy, heavy and casts inaccurately.


I'm sorry, but a rod simply does not cast inaccurately. It may be harder for you to cast versus other rods... but a rod does not cast inaccurately. That's entirely false. Unless it somehow loads differently on every single cast you make, that simply does not make sense at all. Not going to disagree with your feelings on the rod outside of that because that can be 100% the way you feel about it and that's ok. A rod casting inaccurately is something you can try to make sense of if you'd like, but it will never be true.


I will rephrase that for you “exceptionally difficult to cast accurately” I also used another descriptive for my buddy “it feels like I’m trying to make a football pass with a loaf of bread and 5 slices have been taken out” come on, even he laughed at that visual. He loves it, I don’t that’s fine. It’s all about the love for the sport and catching fish.

dtacker
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 68
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:07 pm

Re: New Dobyn's Series

Postby dtacker » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:05 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
dtacker wrote:
Heddonfrog wrote:
papagravey wrote:
Heddonfrog wrote: “because I feel like I’m fishing with two arm casts on” it’s clumsy, heavy and casts inaccurately.


I'm sorry, but a rod simply does not cast inaccurately. It may be harder for you to cast versus other rods... but a rod does not cast inaccurately. That's entirely false. Unless it somehow loads differently on every single cast you make, that simply does not make sense at all.

I beg to differ with you because a rod absolutely will be inaccurate, IF the rod isnt built correctly on the spine. It will load and unload with a twisting motion, not just a flex back and forth. Its like a pitcher throwing a curve ball. I promise you, this can happen, because I had 2 identical factory rods once that I ordered at the same time from the same retailer. I sent one back because it just wouldn't cast where I pointed it. The other one was like an extension of my arm, in that the lure went where I was aiming every time. With the bad one, I could actually feel the torque of the blank as it twisted on the backcast.


Gotcha, likely something I've just never noticed.

Would a spiral wrapped rod or a rod missing guides in the middle of the blank give this same effect do you think?

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator
Posts: 3988
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:56 pm
Location: Oxford GA

Re: New Dobyn's Series

Postby hoohoorjoo » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:36 pm

I haven't noticed any torque or twist with the spiral-wrapped rod I have. It is very accurate, likely because it was custom-built and spined correctly. I also wouldnt think a rod would be inaccurate because it is missing 1 or 2 guides. However, it would affect the rod differently due to where the guides were missing. For example, you wouldn't want to continue to use a rod missing 2 or more consecutive guides out near the tip because the line would touch or even dip below the blank. This could damage the blank and could also cause dangerous, uneven pressure on transition points and possibly cause breakage.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Heddonfrog
Angler
Angler
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:53 am

Re: New Dobyn's Series

Postby Heddonfrog » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:17 pm

Ok so my 755 came this morning and of course I ended up late for work. Good thing the only one to yell at me is myself. So initial impressions are exceptionally light in hand for a 7-5 mag-hvy. I told my buddy it really feels like a 843/4 GLX/NRX while holding it without a reel (that came in the afternoon mail) It’s the smallest diameter heavy or mag-hvy rod I’ve ever held. Feels like it would cast a 3/16oz bait better than 1-1/2oz but I know that’s more than likely deceiving. Btw that is exactly what I was looking for. I wasn’t looking for a meat stick, I wanted a finely tuned precision surgical instrument and that’s exactly how it feels. It weighs 5.1oz on my scale but due to the balance feels like its 4.5ish. Balance point with a Bantam MGL (7.6oz) is right on the lock nut. Without a reel I measured 6-3/4” to the middle of the reel seat. The wraps & epoxy look better than the photo posted earlier from the tackle warehouse ad but they are sadly not perfect. Guides are straight as they should be. Quadruple grade A cork (makes me chuckle) is exceptionally nice with just a tiny bit of filler. It feels like my Loomis cork does after I take Automotive wet/dry 1200 grit to it. Overall looks are pretty pedestrian and conservative for a $550 rod but personally I won’t care if its magic when I fish it. That’s all I have for now, I have 3-4hrs of rigging for a Lake Michigan smallie outing tomorrow...I did pick up some 3/4 & 1oz Dark Sleepers that I’ll throw on this rod but it’s probably going to be a drop-shot day. Updates over the weekend.

Ugh, went to upload photos and they’re too large. I’ll resize and post tomorrow when I get home. Sorry
Attachments
F974A380-2A02-4D96-93FE-DCC36BAD9F55.jpeg
F974A380-2A02-4D96-93FE-DCC36BAD9F55.jpeg (273.19 KiB) Viewed 1777 times
8C42BEAC-664D-4185-B1A9-163C6D43C87C.jpeg
8C42BEAC-664D-4185-B1A9-163C6D43C87C.jpeg (297.4 KiB) Viewed 1777 times

Heddonfrog
Angler
Angler
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:53 am

Re: New Dobyn's Series

Postby Heddonfrog » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:44 pm

First fish on the 755, a decent 3-12...on a 5XD. I know, it’s a jig rod but we weren’t jig fishing today and I wanted to get some time with it. I also really needed the extra length to get some casts way out there. The crank rod I brought was only 7’. It performed very well on a technique is wasn’t designed for and the typical Dobyns light tip section did well loading, casting and also keeping the smallie buttoned on the trebles. I think the TT Editors will love the 7-2 Med/Hvy as a search for the one candidate and Cal will be a pitching fool if he tests an X. I do think if they were to test this particular model, it will rack out a power lower than stated with a max lure rating of around 1oz. A 3/4oz Jack Hammer with a zako trailer (1-1/8oz total wgt) maxed the tip out. Again, I know this isn’t a horizontal reaction bait rod but I also think it would be great with a 1/2 bladed jig if you’re like myself and like fast action rods Vs cranking sticks to throw bladed jigs. The new line is being advertised as a deep water bottom contact rod but my very limited first impression is it will be a more versatile line.

I tied on a 1/2oz and 3/4oz Dark Sleepers to both the 755 and my G-rod Pro Bass 7’ Med/Hvy to do a quick sensitivity check. The portion of southern Lake Michigan we were fishing is sand bottom and rip rap. Pretty damn easy to tell the difference but there is some limited weed beds and whereas the Pro Bass (a very sensitive rod both in my mind and TT’s opinion) would just feel dead or mushy when I’d occasionally run into some errant patch of weeds it was instantaneous “Weed” when I hit them with 755. It was hyper sensitive to rock, rubble, weed and sand with the 5XD. I really had fun reading the bottom with the XD...smooth rock, rough rock, dead weeds, fresh weeds. Even coarse sand, fine sand and when I was fishing the Dark Sleeper I could feel that little paddle tail kicking along. I know this feel will translate to jigs in a big way. I’ve referred to some of my other jig rods both past and present as either fishing by braille or they give me an actual visual picture of what’s down there. Basically sensitive enough to “see” and I loved how I was able to see with this rod. No bottom line yet, not nearly enough time to form an opinion. I usually sit down with what equipment I’ve acquired at the end of the year to decide “should it stay or should it go” I do know that It wasn’t just a utilitarian tool to catch fish...I had fun fishing it and look forward to fishing it again soon. I’ll even make time
Attachments
4A166F13-9BA6-4E03-85CE-D357BCC852C4.jpeg
4A166F13-9BA6-4E03-85CE-D357BCC852C4.jpeg (79.76 KiB) Viewed 1774 times

smallies
Angler
Angler
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:18 pm

Re: New Dobyn's Series

Postby smallies » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:25 am

Heddonfrog wrote:First fish on the 755, a decent 3-12...on a 5XD. I know, it’s a jig rod but we weren’t jig fishing today and I wanted to get some time with it. I also really needed the extra length to get some casts way out there. The crank rod I brought was only 7’. It performed very well on a technique is wasn’t designed for and the typical Dobyns light tip section did well loading, casting and also keeping the smallie buttoned on the trebles. I think the TT Editors will love the 7-2 Med/Hvy as a search for the one candidate and Cal will be a pitching fool if he tests an X. I do think if they were to test this particular model, it will rack out a power lower than stated with a max lure rating of around 1oz. A 3/4oz Jack Hammer with a zako trailer (1-1/8oz total wgt) maxed the tip out. Again, I know this isn’t a horizontal reaction bait rod but I also think it would be great with a 1/2 bladed jig if you’re like myself and like fast action rods Vs cranking sticks to throw bladed jigs. The new line is being advertised as a deep water bottom contact rod but my very limited first impression is it will be a more versatile line.

I tied on a 1/2oz and 3/4oz Dark Sleepers to both the 755 and my G-rod Pro Bass 7’ Med/Hvy to do a quick sensitivity check. The portion of southern Lake Michigan we were fishing is sand bottom and rip rap. Pretty damn easy to tell the difference but there is some limited weed beds and whereas the Pro Bass (a very sensitive rod both in my mind and TT’s opinion) would just feel dead or mushy when I’d occasionally run into some errant patch of weeds it was instantaneous “Weed” when I hit them with 755. It was hyper sensitive to rock, rubble, weed and sand with the 5XD. I really had fun reading the bottom with the XD...smooth rock, rough rock, dead weeds, fresh weeds. Even coarse sand, fine sand and when I was fishing the Dark Sleeper I could feel that little paddle tail kicking along. I know this feel will translate to jigs in a big way. I’ve referred to some of my other jig rods both past and present as either fishing by braille or they give me an actual visual picture of what’s down there. Basically sensitive enough to “see” and I loved how I was able to see with this rod. No bottom line yet, not nearly enough time to form an opinion. I usually sit down with what equipment I’ve acquired at the end of the year to decide “should it stay or should it go” I do know that It wasn’t just a utilitarian tool to catch fish...I had fun fishing it and look forward to fishing it again soon. I’ll even make time


What kind of line were you using?

Heddonfrog
Angler
Angler
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:53 am

Re: New Dobyn's Series

Postby Heddonfrog » Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:46 am

smallies wrote:
Heddonfrog wrote:What kind of line were you using?


30lb Suffix 832 with an 18’ leader of 12lb Kastking fluoro coated mono. My line set-up was probably giving me the line sensitivity of straight flouro


Return to “Rods”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests