replacing okuma c3 concept ml fast

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
speck90
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

replacing okuma c3 concept ml fast

Post by speck90 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:46 am

I used an okuma c3 concept spinnng rod ml fast for several years until it broke 2 months ago. I used it primarily for speckled trout either by double rig or 1/4 ounce and jigging on the bottom or 1/4 ounce drop shot. the sensitivity to this rod was great and i could feel everything. I replaced it with the okuma helios ml fast and it is not even close. I also bought a dobyns fury and it was not as sensitive either. I live in south louisiana and in the winter i will jig a 1/8-3/8 ounce jig head with a soft plastic in about 8 -15 feet of water and need to feel very light bites. Does anyone recommend a rod that is comparable to the c3 concept or a spinning rod that they really like the sensitivity ? I am trying to keep it under $200 if possible. thanks for the help

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: replacing okuma c3 concept ml fast

Post by hoohoorjoo » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:07 am

My vote is for the Phenix Feather. I had the 7'1 ML casting rod and it was very sensitive. My only problem was that the reel seat irked me, so I reluctantly sold it(I dont like split reel seats). I will likely have a custom built on the same blank if/when they are available. The spinning seat looks to be a very comfy design. One word of advice- most Phenix rods fish a little lighter than their ratings, so I would recommend the medium instead of the ML in the spinning version. The rod I had was rated 1/4-5/8 oz, like a true medium and it actually fished like a mxf rod, light tip with a good backbone starting about 1/3 the distance from the tip to the reel seat.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

dhottle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dhottle » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:22 am

Although its little over your budget take a look at a G Loomis HSR9000S hot shot rod. It's perfect for your application.

speck90
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by speck90 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:13 pm

appreciate the help. I will be checking those out today.