Daiwa Kage

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
austin15
Angler
Angler

Daiwa Kage

Post by austin15 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:38 am

Looks like a new mid range rod from Daiwa. Anyone have any info about when they will hit the shelves? I am interested in a couple of the swimbait rods.

austin15
Angler
Angler

Re: Daiwa Kage

Post by austin15 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:03 pm

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:49 pm

My understanding is that they use the same blanks as the Elite, only unfinished. Should be really good, just wish there were more models available.

big_gee
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by big_gee » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:37 am

I have a couple of them and I was surprised on how light these rods were. I have the 8'H and the umbrella rig rod. The feel great in hand. The 8'H has a Daiwa Lexa 300H WN and the umbrella rig rod has a Tatula HD. I really like the feel of both of these setups.

I will say the 8'H is pretty stout it has a little bit of tip but definitely not moderate. It works for me as I was looking for a rod to throw swimbaits from 6" to 8".

phishybizness
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by phishybizness » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:57 pm

New here, but good info on these rods -

Supposedly, they are only available through independent bait & tackle shops. No Scheels, Bass Pro, Cabelas, etc & no online sales with them either - don't know the validity of that.

Big features though, the Graphite Composition is of the SVF Technology from Daiwa. So, super light, and sensitive. SVF is what Steez rods are made of, which start at what, $450 or so? This rod is supposed to be $190 or $200. Also, it has some sick Japanese inspired graphics on it. Can't wait to put one of the new Tatula 150 on the Heavy action rod for my jigs.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:45 am

phishybizness wrote:New here, but good info on these rods -

Supposedly, they are only available through independent bait & tackle shops. No Scheels, Bass Pro, Cabelas, etc & no online sales with them either - don't know the validity of that.

Big features though, the Graphite Composition is of the SVF Technology from Daiwa. So, super light, and sensitive. SVF is what Steez rods are made of, which start at what, $450 or so? This rod is supposed to be $190 or $200. Also, it has some sick Japanese inspired graphics on it. Can't wait to put one of the new Tatula 150 on the Heavy action rod for my jigs.
OG Tatula and revised Tatula also employ SVF technology in their blanks. When you approach the Steez racing design and Heartland models, there are some other technologies at work as well, that are not offered in the lower end rods. That being said, these Kage rods look impressive on paper. It would be a shame if Daiwa doesn't make them readily available.

phishybizness
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by phishybizness » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:14 pm

OG Tatula and revised Tatula also employ SVF technology in their blanks. When you approach the Steez racing design and Heartland models, there are some other technologies at work as well, that are not offered in the lower end rods. That being said, these Kage rods look impressive on paper. It would be a shame if Daiwa doesn't make them readily available.
Oh, I didn't know Tatula was an SVF build, thought it was HVF. The KAGE is lighter than the new Tatula Rods, a good feel in the hand overall.

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:31 am

phishybizness wrote:
Oh, I didn't know Tatula was an SVF build, thought it was HVF. The KAGE is lighter than the new Tatula Rods, a good feel in the hand overall.
The Tatula XT is an HVF blank.

Rippin-lips
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Rippin-lips » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:35 am

big_gee wrote:I have a couple of them and I was surprised on how light these rods were. I have the 8'H and the umbrella rig rod. The feel great in hand. The 8'H has a Daiwa Lexa 300H WN and the umbrella rig rod has a Tatula HD. I really like the feel of both of these setups.

I will say the 8'H is pretty stout it has a little bit of tip but definitely not moderate. It works for me as I was looking for a rod to throw swimbaits from 6" to 8".
What’s the weight of the baits you’re throwing on the 8ft sb rod? Does it have enough bend to handle 3oz treble harbaits? What’s the lightest bait you’ve thrown on it, and how did it load up? Looking at the 8ft for 1.5 - 3.5 ounce hardbaits.

Shermanjr62
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Shermanjr62 » Fri May 29, 2020 9:14 pm

I just picked Up one today. I got the 7’4” HXB. It is very light, and the balance is good. I have it paired with a Bantam MGL XG (I’ll also try it with a Zillion SV XXH). I like the styling. It is matte black unfinished blank and the thread wrap coating is also matte(ish). It comes with 8 guides + tip. I thought they could have added 1 more (just a preference). It has a great tip that immediately gets into backbone at 20% of rod blank. Since it’s an Extra Fast it does load differently than the Tatula. I also like the full cork grip. The reel seat is pretty standard. Again I’m being picky that they could have put the air sensor reel seat from the Rebellion and SiC guides and charged $300 for it (basically a baby Steez XT). It was not as light as the Rebellion Rods, but it definitely had more backbone. The old Tatula rods were SVF, the new ones are now HVF. Daiwa snuck it in while no one was looking, lol. I would love to see a 7’9” Kage HXB rod, the Rebellion rod seems a little softer in like actions.
Last edited by Shermanjr62 on Sat May 30, 2020 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

aqua71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by aqua71 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:47 am

I'm interested in picking up their medium action spinning rods.

They have three (3) listed in medium:

1) Jerkbait 6'8"
2) Jerkbait/Tube 6'10"
3) All Around 7'0"

Aside from length, they all have the same Action/Line Wt./Lure Wt.

What (if any) difference is there between these models?

Thanks in advance.

bbates3
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bbates3 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:31 pm

i have 4 of these

2 of the 79 Heavy Swimbait rods

7ft medium all around spinning rod

72 mh shakey head spinning rod

rods are light, sensitive and for the money i am happy with them.

i kinda of prefer the 79's over my mark 48, i mainly fish either shiners or bull gills on them

i use the spinning rods for lots of stuff and paired them up with kage spinning reels, great little combo's

aqua71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by aqua71 » Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:06 am

aqua71 wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:47 am
I'm interested in picking up their medium action spinning rods.

They have three (3) listed in medium:
1) Jerkbait 6'8"
2) Jerkbait/Tube 6'10"
3) All Around 7'0"

Aside from length, they all have the same Action/Line Wt./Lure Wt.

What (if any) difference is there between these models?

Thanks in advance.

I realize that the Kage are not as popular as some other rods, but I'm a little surprised at the lack of feedback.

xyzman
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by xyzman » Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:51 am

bbates3 wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:31 pm
i have 4 of these

i kinda of prefer the 79's over my mark 48, i mainly fish either shiners or bull gills on them

i use the spinning rods for lots of stuff and paired them up with kage spinning reels, great little combo's
Would the 79 Heavy Swimbait rod be ideal for throwing a Megabass Megadog?

bbates3
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bbates3 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:14 am

xyzman wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:51 am
bbates3 wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:31 pm
i have 4 of these

Would the 79 Heavy Swimbait rod be ideal for throwing a Megabass Megadog?

So I personally haven't thrown anything that heavy with my 79 Kage, i really just use it for 6inch bullshad and 6inch bull gills

I actually just go my first megadog in this week so i am new to that bait

i am going to throw it on either the ts destroyer blackjack or another great rod is the new megabass multipiece valkyrie 711 its a touch more than the kage but i would probably get that for an all around swimbait rod at $350 over the kage at $200 i feel its worth the money especially if you want to throw 4 to 5.5 oz baits

it is also super nice to have a multipiece swimbait rod