looking at skipping rods

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
lifeofRiley
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

looking at skipping rods

Post by lifeofRiley » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:06 pm

Hey dudes,

I'm looking at trying a new jig skipping rod. For years I've used a 7' MH St. Croix Avid and it has served me well. I'd like to try a rod that is just a hair shorter and have it narrowed down to these 2 rods

Fitzgerald Bryan Thrift 6'9" skipping rod (9 micro guides, 14 1/2 inch handle)
Daiwa tatula hd andy montgomery 6'9" skipping rod (8 standard guides 14 inch handle)

The rods are within 10 dollars of each other. Honestly on paper they are very similar rods. If anyone has any direct experience with either please let me know. I will be throwing a 3/8 or 1/2 ounce jig on 20lb. fluoro 90% of the time with this setup.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: looking at skipping rods

Post by poisonokie » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:36 am

I don't know about either of those two, but I have a 6'6" Heavy Fast Zillion that may be comparable to the Montgomery. It's awesome for skipping jigs and anything else in heavy cover. It's light, balanced, sensitive, and has major backbone. The tip is pretty stiff, though, so it may not jive with your technique. I don't use the same casting motion as I do with my 7'6" Tatula flipping stick when skipping, but when executed the right way they're both great skippers.
This is the way.

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:19 pm

Megabass f6-69 super destroyer is my skipper. Paired with an sv103 it's pretty legit! Sensitive too.

jetsled
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by jetsled » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:48 pm

I have two steez XT 7' MH. With a 3/8 strike king skipping jig. Trim the skirt a little. Menace grub shortened. Have two Steez SV 8.1 lefty reels. One with 18 lb floro, other with 30 braid. These work well for me and have a good action and shorter handle. They pitch pretty well too.

I recommend the diawa Montgomery rod, with a SV reel. The SV reels are by far the best skipping reel period. Plus the silver is pretty cool. Another good rod is the shimano curado 6"10 MH. I have one and its pretty sweet.

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Buck2thPerch » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:17 pm

I have the Megabass Phase 3 F6 69X Super Destroyer, Megabass THP F6-68 Rekkai Slant Bridge, Tatula Elite Andy Montgomery 6'9" Skipping, and the Megabass F5-68 Super Orochi.

Here is my ratings

Power
1 - Rekkai
2 -(TIE) Tatula Elite 6'9" Skipping and Super Destroyer
4 Super Orochi (Ofcourse its an F5 Power which is equal IMO to a MH)

Sensativity
1 - Super Destroyer
2 - Rekkai
3 - Super Orochi
4 - Tatula Elite 6'9" Skipping

I usually skip docks, overhangs, anything where skipping technique can get to vs pitching/flipping. I use 3/8oz - 1/2oz jigs 95% of the time. And yes me being 5'11", the shorter rods are much better and pairied with an SV reel is a almost flawless. Skipping 20yds+ is easily done. My rod of choice which i use 95% of the time? Rekkai. However, I use the Tatula Elite 6'9" as my dedicated swim jig skipping rod.

The Tatula Elite 6'9" is not as sensative as the Super Destroyer and Rekkai but have a slower tip than the Super Destroyer and very similar tip to the Rekkai. To me, I feel the Super Destroyer tip is almost Xfast and don't like it it for this purpose. I just prefer Fast Tip for skipping - that's just me. Plus, the you are comparing $180 Tatula Elite rod vs $500+ Megabass rods. And the Tatula Elite 6'9" skipping rod holds it's own against rods almost 3X it's price. It's not the most sensative rod and no where near the Phase 3 rods but it's as sensative as any heavy rod in the $200-$300 range. And very well balanced as well as it should be for it's length. I highly recommend the Tatula Elite 6'9" rod if you are looking for something under $200. You can't go wrong.

Also a very similar rod to the Tatula Elite 6'9" Skipping rod is the first gen Daiwa Zillion 6'9" MH Fast casting rod. I swear they are identical but the Zillion is a bit faster in taper. Almost makes me wonder.....is Daiwa rehashing?
Marine General Staff - Duluth MN
**What is fishing?**