Megabass Aklys

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Megabass Aklys

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:34 pm

Any put this rod through the wringer yet?

Not much info out there. Gary said a little about it in the spring.

Looking at it to be a worthy contender for punching and small swimbaits. Liking the specs but, turned off by the facts some literature talk it up to have massive power. I live up north and don't need a crane of a rod.

Can anyone compare it to say, a classic Tatula flipping rod?

I am waiting on a sweet punch blank from NFC. The wait I am projecting to be about 7 or 8 weeks before I can build. Considering the Aklys until I can build, unless I love it and will scrap the build idea.

Thanks in advance.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

M Perry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Megabass Aklys

Post by M Perry » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:58 pm

It was the replacement for the Flipping Special. It is surprisingly versatile for its rating and can pull all the duties mentioned. I have flipped/pitched 3/4oz and up with it as well as punching. Great swimbait and umbrella rig rod as well. It does not feel as heavy and as much of a meat stick as the specs and weights make it sound. When I first fished it I thought it would be more technique specific and limited use but that's not the case. Tip is a bit more parabolic and forgiving than you would think. Granted it will rip big fish out of heavy cover with ease but it also seems to load and cast other baits as well. Do not let the weight scare you off...it was 9.7oz on my postal scale but really does not feel that heavy in hand. Balances good for the length.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:47 pm

M Perry wrote:It was the replacement for the Flipping Special. It is surprisingly versatile for its rating and can pull all the duties mentioned. I have flipped/pitched 3/4oz and up with it as well as punching. Great swimbait and umbrella rig rod as well. It does not feel as heavy and as much of a meat stick as the specs and weights make it sound. When I first fished it I thought it would be more technique specific and limited use but that's not the case. Tip is a bit more parabolic and forgiving than you would think. Granted it will rip big fish out of heavy cover with ease but it also seems to load and cast other baits as well. Do not let the weight scare you off...it was 9.7oz on my postal scale but really does not feel that heavy in hand. Balances good for the length.
Thanks. I'm mostly scared that it will be too powerful for my flipping. I mostly catch 1-3lb bass and the occasional pike punching.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:52 pm

Have you looked at xpride A 7'6" MH. Longer soft rod would probably feel more parabolic