Conquest 842S or Megabass Addermine

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Conquest 842S or Megabass Addermine

Post by Polkfish1 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:17 pm

Picked up a used conquest 904 off this forum after breaking a different Shimano heavy powered rod I bought used with no warranty. Needed a replacement in the lineup. Been fishing said 904 the past two days. My first Loomis rod ever. So I’m a virgin never having had the nrx experience. These are not overrated. Have two mornings and evenings experience with it just off my dock and neighbors docks. Balance is impossible to explain-rod floats. My casting has never been more accurate. Absolutely bombs anything in its weight range. Of the 4 bites I’ve gotten with it, hook set is devastating with so much backbone so quickly. Yet so much tip to bomb lures anywhere with pinpoint accuracy. As far as sensitivity, I can’t say that I could tell if any other rod was more sensitive. Feels better than an ultima and my X7s. You can feel bass thinking. Grass is thick on my lake right now. This rod can pull anything out the the weeds. Negatives: besides the blank, it’s ugly as sin. Also, hard to believe fishermen dissigned the placement of the hook keeper to sit just slightly above and to the left of the reel seat so my line keeps getting caught in it. But really, coming from a someone who was skeptical about these rods, there is nothing overrated. Just a very fine fishing tool. Would I buy one new at full price? After these past two days, I’d say yes. I’m am glad I bought it used though even though the handle came looking like it had been stored up a donkeys ar&$. Couple days in the rain and it’s good as new.

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HobeyBaker » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:24 pm

I have the following finesse spinning rods:

Addermine
AGS Steez MML 7'6
GLX 820s
Legend Xtreme MXF

I use the GLX if I'm dropping directly down on fish. The Steez gets the rest of the work. Everything from Ned rigs to hair jigs. The other two rods barely get used.

jmb27
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jmb27 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:58 pm

Polkfish1 wrote:. I’m am glad I bought it used though even though the handle came looking like it had been stored up a donkeys ar&$. Couple days in the rain and it’s good as new.
Some rubbing alcohol and/or a magic eraser will clean that cork up.

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:32 pm

+1 and 1500 grit :big grin:

Also to clarify my remarks yes I did not actually fish the rod specimens in question but my overall sense of my blabbing was to say how well megabass does it even after all these years I still find myself going back to them even when I've tried my hardest to break up as I've said before.

Overall in my opinion the Conquest is a hell of a build but Megabass in my opinion just does it better as a whole. For me going to the USDM Detroyers was a no brainer. Often times when I've tried to go a different route when I put my hands on a megabass rod I feel overall more satisfied and that is mainly what I'm getting at the conquest just didn't do it for me like I thought it would I really wanted it to trust me. When I handled it and looked at it I debated long and hard but when I held the Daemos and the FMJ I was like really no brainer for me personally to dip back into the Megabass well. Especially for just being moderately excited for the USDM Destroyer personally(I feel other that American actions/tapers) I wasn't getting into anything new other than guide train upgrade. I attribute that for having tested the 16' JDM Destroyer offerings extensively. With that being said I didn't have any mind to go in and go back megabass is what I'm trying to get I think with all my ramblings not to say that the conquest is a bunch of hooey although to me personally it is if that makes sense. I believe for what they are they will do very well with those in line with the Loomis family and Shimano family not saying I don't like their rods I just can't stop megabass I guess :lol: For me they just havent come out with anything for me personally that makes me go hell yeah. The Conquest and other mentioned didn't do that for me personally.....mind you this is talk to text so some of this might come out kind of weird.

I equate it to buying a car or anything else you sit in it you want to buy it is almost like set in stone decision, you fool around with it but you're kind of like "meh" when you do a side-by-side comparison with other competing specimen(s). That was where I was left personally.

For any of that I ruffled any feathers my apologies :big grin: