Looking for first megabass rod please help

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Datbasstho
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Looking for first megabass rod please help

Post by Datbasstho » Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:43 pm

Hey guys,

Judging by all the reading I think I’ve came to the right place for help!
You guys know your megabass!!

I’m looking for a megabass rod that would cover top water, frogs and whoppers mainly, along with senko set ups and flukes.
So mainly top water and soft plastics.
Looking for anywhere from 6’6 so 7’

Also I’ll explain a little about myself in case your wondering why I want such a versatile rod.
I don’t own a boat and I don’t have the luxury of having a rod for every presentation.
I currently own a st croix premier 6’6 MHF paired with a Revo SX and ive been looking to upgrade to either a st croix tournament legend or some type of G Loomis but then I stumbled upon a megabass and read they are up there with quality but the design blows st croixs and g loomis’ away.

Let me know what you guys think please

Thanks guys!!

BoatBuggy
Angler
Angler

Re: Looking for first megabass rod please help

Post by BoatBuggy » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:23 pm

I've used my F6-70 XX Tour Versatile for all the things you listed. In my hands the TV does a lot of things pretty well but it doesn't really shine at anything. I use my TV mostly for chucking Rage Toads on 50 lb braid. The TV is a little stout for the regular 5" senkos and flukes but it does a good job working the heavier stickworms like a 6" or 7" senko and the Magnum UV Speed Worm along and through cover.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:32 pm

The only Megabass stick I have versatile to do all that would be the Orochi X4 711.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:42 pm

I'm looking to eventually replace some $150-200 Abu and Lew's rods so I understand why you are searching Megabass. My issue was finding something lighter than the Tour Versatile, more of a 7'+ rod will a Medium power and fast tip.

The 7'2" Daemos could possibly fit your bill, rods designed for single hook lures like spinnerbaits and chatterbaits can be very versatile and work especially well for lighter techniques you described, especially smaller topwaters (not frogs).

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:02 pm

Careful what you wish for Dat. You could be heading for financial ruin dipping your toes into the world of Megabass.

My suggestion would be to pick a well used but mechanically sound rod to start out with. You are going to get a rod with top components and it will fish just as well as a new rod. They come pre-scuffed so you don't have to worry about dropping or scratching them.

Here are a couple of suggestions:

https://jdmtackleheaven.com/collections ... elseil-239

info:

https://www.megabass.co.jp/site/product ... BB12-70x4/

or...this was a $600 rod when new

https://jdmtackleheaven.com/collections ... age-ii-862

info

https://www.megabass.co.jp/site/product ... 512-68xti/

You should buy both and save on shipping. Welcome to the point of no return.

bpettus2
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bpettus2 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:40 am

After the rod your going to need the reel a lot of great options out there welcome to the cult

Datbasstho
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Datbasstho » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:12 am

Thanks boatbuggy for your quick reply.
How does it compare to some of the st croix and loomis models in the same price range?
And would you change anything about it?

Thanks again!

Datbasstho
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Datbasstho » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:17 am

DirtyD64 wrote:I'm looking to eventually replace some $150-200 Abu and Lew's rods so I understand why you are searching Megabass. My issue was finding something lighter than the Tour Versatile, more of a 7'+ rod will a Medium power and fast tip.

The 7'2" Daemos could possibly fit your bill, rods designed for single hook lures like spinnerbaits and chatterbaits can be very versatile and work especially well for lighter techniques you described, especially smaller topwaters (not frogs).
Will definitely check it out thanks for our help

Datbasstho
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Datbasstho » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:19 am

Aquaftm45 wrote:Careful what you wish for Dat. You could be heading for financial ruin dipping your toes into the world of Megabass.

My suggestion would be to pick a well used but mechanically sound rod to start out with. You are going to get a rod with top components and it will fish just as well as a new rod. They come pre-scuffed so you don't have to worry about dropping or scratching them.

Here are a couple of suggestions:

https://jdmtackleheaven.com/collections ... elseil-239

info:

https://www.megabass.co.jp/site/product ... BB12-70x4/

or...this was a $600 rod when new

https://jdmtackleheaven.com/collections ... age-ii-862

info

https://www.megabass.co.jp/site/product ... 512-68xti/

You should buy both and save on shipping. Welcome to the point of no return.
Ok this is amazing. Wow thanks for the links, and ya I agree on getting a used rod, I don’t mind the scratches, it adds character and shows you actually use them!
Thank u so much for info

Datbasstho
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Datbasstho » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:21 am

bpettus2 wrote:After the rod your going to need the reel a lot of great options out there welcome to the cult
That’s another question, obviously u can use numerous name brand reels but when u go megabass rod don’t you kind of have to go megabass reel?
How do the reels match up against the other top name brands?

Thanks for the info!

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:39 am

Datbasstho wrote:
bpettus2 wrote:After the rod your going to need the reel a lot of great options out there welcome to the cult
That’s another question, obviously u can use numerous name brand reels but when u go megabass rod don’t you kind of have to go megabass reel?

Thanks for the info!
They work with any reel. Megabass reels are just tuned up Daiwa's. Kind of like Infiniti cars are made by Nissan.

Datbasstho
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Datbasstho » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:48 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
Datbasstho wrote:

Thanks for the info!
They work with any reel. Megabass reels are just tuned up Daiwa's. Kind of like Infiniti cars are made by Nissan.
ahhh I see.

Datbasstho
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Datbasstho » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:49 am

Since I couldnt find any hard info on it, do you guys know anything about the Destoyer Evoluzion F4-610XDti?
I loved the way it looked.

BoatBuggy
Angler
Angler

Post by BoatBuggy » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:17 pm

Datbasstho wrote:Thanks boatbuggy for your quick reply.
How does it compare to some of the st croix and loomis models in the same price range?

Thanks again!
I don't have any Loomis or St Croix that compares to the $300 XX lineup. Most of my Loomis rods are NRX or new GLX and I have four original St Croix Legend Extremes that I don't really use anymore.

The Tour Versatile isn't the sexiest Megabass rod to be sure but it is indeed a pretty versatile rod that's good when you don't have access to lots of rods. When I'm fishing is someone else's boat and can't bring a bunch of gear with me I'll often bring the TV. I can use it to chuck frogs, toads, swimjigs, swimbaits, chatterbaits, spinnerbaits, spooks, whopper plopper 110's, drag football jigs and flip plastics. I pair it up with a Daiwa SV103 XS and will bring a spare reel and/or spool in case I want to switch between braid and fluoro. It's not the lightest combo I could create but it's well balanced, stout and these 58 year old joints have no problem throwing it all day.

If you weren't chucking frogs and limited your whopper ploppers to the 90's, then I would recommend the F5-72 XX Diablo Spec-R. It's a little longer than the 7' you specified and it's one class below the Daemos mentioned earlier. The Diablo Spec-R is one of my favorite rods (I have two of them) but I don't think it has the oomph for frogs or toads over a lot of cover and the whopper plopper 110 is a bit heavy.

Datbasstho
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Datbasstho » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:34 pm

BoatBuggy wrote:
Datbasstho wrote:Thanks boatbuggy for your quick reply.

Thanks again!
I don't have any Loomis or St Croix that compares to the $300 XX lineup. Most of my Loomis rods are NRX or new GLX and I have four original St Croix Legend Extremes that I don't really use anymore.

The Tour Versatile isn't the sexiest Megabass rod to be sure but it is indeed a pretty versatile rod that's good when you don't have access to lots of rods. When I'm fishing is someone else's boat and can't bring a bunch of gear with me I'll often bring the TV. I can use it to chuck frogs, toads, swimjigs, swimbaits, chatterbaits, spinnerbaits, spooks, whopper plopper 110's, drag football jigs and flip plastics. I pair it up with a Daiwa SV103 XS and will bring a spare reel and/or spool in case I want to switch between braid and fluoro. It's not the lightest combo I could create but it's well balanced, stout and these 58 year old joints have no problem throwing it all day.

If you weren't chucking frogs and limited your whopper ploppers to the 90's, then I would recommend the F5-72 XX Diablo Spec-R. It's a little longer than the 7' you specified and it's one class below the Daemos mentioned earlier. The Diablo Spec-R is one of my favorite rods (I have two of them) but I don't think it has the oomph for frogs or toads over a lot of cover and the whopper plopper 110 is a bit heavy.
I do use a lot of topwater including frogs so the Spec-R probably wouldnt be good for me.
I use regular frogs, sprinker frogs, 90 ploppers the most and the odd spook or sexy dawg for topwater and I use weightless or light weight wacky 5" senkos, weightless and light weight texas rigged flukes and senkos the most when not using top water.
A dash of light weight drop shot and neko and ned rigs in there as well.
Those are my most used presentations so the TV would be my best bet huh?

Oh and I read another member saying braid was an issue with the TV so that does concern me because I use braid probably 95% of the time. What do you think?