Looking for first megabass rod please help

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
BoatBuggy
Angler
Angler

Re: Looking for first megabass rod please help

Post by BoatBuggy » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:56 pm

Datbasstho wrote: I do use a lot of topwater including frogs so the Spec-R probably wouldnt be good for me.
I use regular frogs, sprinker frogs, 90 ploppers the most and the odd spook or sexy dawg for topwater and I use weightless or light weight wacky 5" senkos, weightless and light weight texas rigged flukes and senkos the most when not using top water.
A dash of light weight drop shot and neko and ned rigs in there as well.
Those are my most used presentations so the TV would be my best bet huh?

Oh and I read another member saying braid was an issue with the TV so that does concern me because I use braid probably 95% of the time. What do you think?
You've added a few more lightweight things to the original list..... :lol:

And with that in mind, I'd get a cheap frog rod for regular frogs and get a Spec-R or Daemos for everything else on your list (except maybe the dropshot but that's only becasue I've never tried to dropshot with mine).

I don't know what that issue would be with braid on a TV but I use braid on my TV probably 90% of the time and have never had a problem on it or any of my other five XX rods.

Datbasstho
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Datbasstho » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:26 pm

BoatBuggy wrote:
Datbasstho wrote: I do use a lot of topwater including frogs so the Spec-R probably wouldnt be good for me.
I use regular frogs, sprinker frogs, 90 ploppers the most and the odd spook or sexy dawg for topwater and I use weightless or light weight wacky 5" senkos, weightless and light weight texas rigged flukes and senkos the most when not using top water.
A dash of light weight drop shot and neko and ned rigs in there as well.
Those are my most used presentations so the TV would be my best bet huh?

Oh and I read another member saying braid was an issue with the TV so that does concern me because I use braid probably 95% of the time. What do you think?
You've added a few more lightweight things to the original list..... :lol:

And with that in mind, I'd get a cheap frog rod for regular frogs and get a Spec-R or Daemos for everything else on your list (except maybe the dropshot but that's only becasue I've never tried to dropshot with mine).

I don't know what that issue would be with braid on a TV but I use braid on my TV probably 90% of the time and have never had a problem on it or any of my other five XX rods.

Lol sorry man, just wanted to be as specific as possible.
I think the TV will be good enough for most of my presentations.
I’ve currently been using a st croix 6’6 premier with a abu revo sx and somehow managed to cheat and use it for everything, even a 6XD which hurts my wrist reeling in lmao.

Top waters and senkos are my most used so the TV should be just perfect.

Any suggestions on a megabass reel (used also) that’s affordable and would pair up good or should I try the Daiwa Steez?
I actually was going to hold off until September and get the new Curado DC because I like the breaking system but I think the steez has it if I’m not mistaken?
And which megabass reel would have that feature?

Sorry for all the questions!

Carylab
Angler
Angler

Post by Carylab » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:22 pm

Welcome to the land of no return! Prepare yourself to be lighter in the pocketbook soon. I bought my first MB rod a little over a year ago and now I’m up to 12, and not the lower end of MB. No Diawa reel has the DC braking system. Diawa has a good braking system but not digitally controlled. You can’t go wrong with either one.

BoatBuggy
Angler
Angler

Post by BoatBuggy » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:23 pm

Datbasstho wrote:Lol sorry man, just wanted to be as specific as possible.
I’ve currently been using a st croix 6’6 premier with a abu revo sx and somehow managed to cheat and use it for everything, even a 6XD which hurts my wrist reeling in lmao.

Any suggestions on a megabass reel (used also) that’s affordable and would pair up good or should I try the Daiwa Steez?
I actually was going to hold off until September and get the new Curado DC because I like the breaking system but I think the steez has it if I’m not mistaken?

The TV will serve you well if you only want to carry one rod but I'd give some thought to going with the Spec-R or Daemos and keep the combo you are using for frogs. But it's your money and I don't have to carry the gear around..... :lol:

I can't help with Megabass or Shimano reels other than the green Curado E's but I do have lots of Daiwa's. If you want to buy a new reel, you can do everything you want to do with a Tatula SV but casting will be sweeter and smoother with a Zillion SV TW or a Steez SV TW. I use a Steez SV TW on one of my Spec-Rs to throw swimjigs and its a melt-in-my-hand combo. Going with the Zillion or Steez platforms also means you can purchase standalone spools from a number of vendors. The spools aren't cheap but they are cheaper and easier to carry than an extra reel. If you want to buy a used reel, keep an eye out for a Steez SV103 XS. It's a silky smooth reel with brass gears and it's even better with a Zillion SV TW or Steez SV TW spool.

You were warned this could get expensive..... :lol:

Datbasstho
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Datbasstho » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:02 pm

Carylab wrote:Welcome to the land of no return! Prepare yourself to be lighter in the pocketbook soon. I bought my first MB rod a little over a year ago and now I’m up to 12, and not the lower end of MB. No Diawa reel has the DC braking system. Diawa has a good braking system but not digitally controlled. You can’t go wrong with either one.
LOL I’m already starting to get addicted and haven’t even held one yet, talk about a hypebeast.
And does the DC really matter?
I loved the idea of less blow ups and easier control at braking because I’m only one year in on a baitcaster so I thought it would help but I’m pretty solid with it and barely get blow ups.
That’s why I was interested in the new DC Curado coming out.
I want something silky smooth and light that does the job and obviously looks sleek.
Some of the megabass ones look so nice but now I’m learning you can pimp your reel if it’s a daiwa? LOL

Datbasstho
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Datbasstho » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:05 pm

BoatBuggy wrote:
Datbasstho wrote:Lol sorry man, just wanted to be as specific as possible.

The TV will serve you well if you only want to carry one rod but I'd give some thought to going with the Spec-R or Daemos and keep the combo you are using for frogs. But it's your money and I don't have to carry the gear around..... :lol:

I can't help with Megabass or Shimano reels other than the green Curado E's but I do have lots of Daiwa's. If you want to buy a new reel, you can do everything you want to do with a Tatula SV but casting will be sweeter and smoother with a Zillion SV TW or a Steez SV TW. I use a Steez SV TW on one of my Spec-Rs to throw swimjigs and its a melt-in-my-hand combo. Going with the Zillion or Steez platforms also means you can purchase standalone spools from a number of vendors. The spools aren't cheap but they are cheaper and easier to carry than an extra reel. If you want to buy a used reel, keep an eye out for a Steez SV103 XS. It's a silky smooth reel with brass gears and it's even better with a Zillion SV TW or Steez SV TW spool.

You were warned this could get expensive..... :lol:
So if I used the st croix as a frog rod and went with a spec-r or daemos that would be a better choice for finessing?
Those two options work better for plastics than the TV but they fall short in frog presentations?
Kind of makes sense for me to do that because it’s not like I’m selling my st croix setup so why have 2 rods for the same presentations right?

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:20 pm

Most of those techniques should fair well with a similar rod, except for the ned rig/dropshot style lures. A VERY soft medium or even ML will catch you more fish there. It can be done though, I dropshot fished my wife's grandparent's pond with a 7'3" Heavy that was horribly stiff.

Just a broad range of techniques and I think the rods mentioned will fit more the frog/topwater side than the dropshot/weightless side of your range.

BoatBuggy
Angler
Angler

Post by BoatBuggy » Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:02 am

Datbasstho wrote: So if I used the st croix as a frog rod and went with a spec-r or daemos that would be a better choice for finessing?
Those two options work better for plastics than the TV but they fall short in frog presentations?
Kind of makes sense for me to do that because it’s not like I’m selling my st croix setup so why have 2 rods for the same presentations right?
Yes, yes and yes.

The Spec-R (and I'm assuming Daemos but I don't have one) is a much nicer rod to fish with than the TV. A weightless senko or fluke isn't really lightweight and with a decent reel that's set properly the Spec-R can launch both. If you put a really good reel like a Steez SV TW on it, you'll also be able to get a decent cast with a weightless trick worm.

You don't know it yet but your next rod after a Spec-R or Daemos will be a F7-72 XX Perfect Pitch..... :whistle:

Datbasstho
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Datbasstho » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:21 am

DirtyD64 wrote:Most of those techniques should fair well with a similar rod, except for the ned rig/dropshot style lures. A VERY soft medium or even ML will catch you more fish there. It can be done though, I dropshot fished my wife's grandparent's pond with a 7'3" Heavy that was horribly stiff.

Just a broad range of techniques and I think the rods mentioned will fit more the frog/topwater side than the dropshot/weightless side of your range.
Very true thanks

Datbasstho
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Datbasstho » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:26 am

BoatBuggy wrote:
Datbasstho wrote: So if I used the st croix as a frog rod and went with a spec-r or daemos that would be a better choice for finessing?
Yes, yes and yes.

The Spec-R (and I'm assuming Daemos but I don't have one) is a much nicer rod to fish with than the TV. A weightless senko or fluke isn't really lightweight and with a decent reel that's set properly the Spec-R can launch both. If you put a really good reel like a Steez SV TW on it, you'll also be able to get a decent cast with a weightless trick worm.

You don't know it yet but your next rod after a Spec-R or Daemos will be a F7-72 XX Perfect Pitch..... :whistle:
Ok I’m going to look out for one of those 2.
And I’m going to get the Steez reel also.
I just looked up the perfect pitch and sounds like a solid rod I would end up getting to replace my st croix set up.
What have I done man?? You guys are right, I’m doomed.
I even started looking for megabass apparel too lmao

OK so what would you guys do?

A new Spec-R for $299 USD or $400 cad
OR
A used Evoluzion F5.5-68xti diablo stage 2 for $260 cad plus $95 cad to ship for a total of $355 cad

Obviously the new spec-r will come with warranty but I would much rather have the better rod and no warranty and slightly lower price but I want your opinions...

Thanks!

MediumHeavy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MediumHeavy » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:30 pm

The Orochi XX Perfect Pitch is the rod I’d choose, though I can’t speak for the current version yet. I’m assuming the new generation is at least somewhat similar. Or you could try to find a used gen one.

It should handle weightless senkos and all of the topwater lures you mentioned. It’s a beast of a rod, but has a great tip action that is magic. Throwing a weightless fluke might be less optimal, but probably still doable.

FamKench
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by FamKench » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:48 pm

Look into destroyer javelin if you dont mind the 7'5 length. I use my megabass destroyer javelin for everything. In order of most used presentations: squarebill, whopper plopper 110, sammy 100, jerkbaits, lily pad frogging, weightless 5-6 inch senkos. I'm often pitching the squarebills, etc. onto the edge of pads as well as bombing casts parallel to weed/lily lines.

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:51 pm

FamKench wrote:Look into destroyer javelin if you dont mind the 7'5 length. I use my megabass destroyer javelin for everything. In order of most used presentations: squarebill, whopper plopper 110, sammy 100, jerkbaits, lily pad frogging, weightless 5-6 inch senkos. I'm often pitching the squarebills, etc. onto the edge of pads as well as bombing casts parallel to weed/lily lines.

If he hadn't have mentioned length, I would have suggested the same rod. Out of my 7 MB rods (with the Javalin falling in the middle of the pack price wise) this is my most used rod and utility wise, my favorite.

Datbasstho
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Datbasstho » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:39 pm

Thank you guys but 7’5 would be too big

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:47 pm

There is a MB PH3 Bearing Down for sale in the classifieds, posted just a couple of hours ago. Would fit your needs well. It probobly won't last through the night on the board. As you will soon learn with a MB addiction, act fast and make excuses to your wife later.

https://tackletrap.com/index.php?main_p ... ts_id=3792