Megabass Braillist

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
bassnn15
Angler
Angler

Megabass Braillist

Post by bassnn15 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:00 am

Just wondering if anyone else has bought and tried the new Braillist?
Mine has been great so far, but only been out twice with it. Fishes Milfoil just fine with braid and loads well and has plenty of power. Sensitivity is also very good. Im used to fishing a heavier 5 or 6 power rod so it took a short time getting used to.

big_gee
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Megabass Braillist

Post by big_gee » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:06 am

I'm interested in this rod for jigs from 3/16 to 1/2 oz.

You say the sensitive is good not great?

Phippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Phippy » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:53 am

With braid my Whipsnake has good sensitivity not great. I have a feeling I would be disappointed with any new Orochi XX model with straight fluorocarbon. I might take a ride to check out the Braillist first hand tomorrow. Other hand I'm liking my Daemos and FMJ in terms of sensitivity with fluoro.

bassnn15
Angler
Angler

Post by bassnn15 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:41 am

The sensitivity is great. Plenty of power but not meant for extremely heavy weeds anyway. I would recommend the rod no problem. I wouldn’t pitch anything more then 1/2 oz jig though in grass. For that I use my Dobyns 736 Champion extreme. This is my first Megabass rod so I can’t compwre to other Megabass rods

Phippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Phippy » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:32 am

So I handled the new Brailist this morning along with other XX models. Compared to my US Destroyers every casting model felt rather heavy to hold right at the reel seat, employees noticed this as well. To be honest did not handle with reel attached I was just so turned off by the feeling in hand I didn't even bother. Might be my lost if it actually feels great on the water but tired of taking losses so I'll pass on the casting XX rods. Other hand I like how all the spinning rods felt in hand and the tapers. And oh that Destroyer Addermine will be my next purchase for sure can never have enough finesse rods.

bassnn15
Angler
Angler

Post by bassnn15 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:26 pm

Interesting that you found it heavy. Or unbalanced. I’ve had 5 people check out my Braillist all agreed it is well balanced and not tip or butt heavy. I realize it’s not a destroyer model and I have never picked one up to compare. In reality. I can’t afford a destroyer. Price is too high in Canada. Overall I’m pleased with the finish weight and fishability of the Orochi XX braillist but other then my champion extreme the Orochi is my most expensive rod and helped me catch 6 buckets between 4 and 5.6 lbs recently. I would love to compare it to a similar rod that is more expensive

M Perry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by M Perry » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:09 pm

big_gee wrote:I'm interested in this rod for jigs from 3/16 to 1/2 oz.

You say the sensitive is good not great?

You will be very happy with the Braillist for that range.

Black Haze
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Black Haze » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:01 pm

So would the Braillist make a good 1/2 ounce jig rod(since that what i use 60 percent of the time)? Anyone have a overall weight of the rod? I would love to see the balance point with a reel on it....Im digging the full grip and no foregrip .....one last question, its a different shape reel seat than the original xx? Thank you

M Perry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by M Perry » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:04 pm

Black Haze wrote:So would the Braillist make a good 1/2 ounce jig rod(since that what i use 60 percent of the time)? Anyone have a overall weight of the rod? I would love to see the balance point with a reel on it....Im digging the full grip and no foregrip .....one last question, its a different shape reel seat than the original xx? Thank you

Depending on how heavy the cover is that you are fishing I think it will be just fine for that. On my postal scale a new model with tags and plastic wrap on handle it was 5.5oz