Advice for a new rod

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
darrin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Advice for a new rod

Post by darrin » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:10 pm

Hi,

On the occasions that I can only bring a few rods, I usually carry a NRX 893 and a NRX 894. I'm looking for a rod that is in between the 893 and the 894. This rod would be an all purpose rod that could handle senkos, yet stout enough to handle 3/4 spider jigs. Any suggestions? The lakes where I would fish are canyon type reservoirs. I'm not restricted to brand, though I am intrigued by the 2017 Destroyers.

Thanks for you help!

Dustys60
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Advice for a new rod

Post by Dustys60 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:43 pm

I think the fmj would work good for you. I really like mine although the heaviest I have thrown on it is a half oz jig with trailer. But also used it alot with a 1/4 trig. I love that rod. I have used it for chatterbait s and swimbaits also. There may be a better option but the fmj is the only rod I have from the new line. I find myself using my 893 for Shakey heads all the time.

darrin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by darrin » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:22 pm

Hi Dusty,

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll take a look at it. The ratings look like what I'm looking for.

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:55 pm

My suggestion to you is the Megabass Javelin. This is truly an all around stick. At 7'5 it will give you the long casts you want into the deep clear canyon lake waters. It loads well between 1/4 and 1oz. I have 6 megabass rods and 2 Luxxe rods now and this by far has the most versitile action of the bunch. Vibes, Senko's, Small swimbaits, squarbills, T-rigs, jigs, frogs. There is not much this rod cant do well. Some of the other rods I have do their job better, but none compete with the Javelin for doing many jobs well. For a rod that is designed for distance, it is suprisingly accurate as well. Pair it with an SV style spool and you will have to work hard to get a backlash.

I Read this quote from Gary at TT before my purchase. He was spot on.

"I've thrown everything from a 6XD to a 5" Senko on the Javelin. It's an incredibly versatile rod that handles a wide range of applications and handles them well. Spinner baits, chatter baits, square bills, lighter texas rigged plastics, swim jigs, paddle tails, etc... its reminiscent of the legendary Nautilus in terms of it's versatility, but with a shorter handle"

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:17 pm

darrin wrote:Hi,

On the occasions that I can only bring a few rods, I usually carry a NRX 893 and a NRX 894. I'm looking for a rod that is in between the 893 and the 894. This rod would be an all purpose rod that could handle senkos, yet stout enough to handle 3/4 spider jigs. Any suggestions? The lakes where I would fish are canyon type reservoirs. I'm not restricted to brand, though I am intrigued by the 2017 Destroyers.

Thanks for you help!

Kistler H3
simple and effective
But sensitive.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:09 am

The H3 reco I like but not sure which one. I got a HE3 7'3H to go with my NRX 893 and 894's. Bit more versatile then the 894 but of similar power. I do fish Senko's on it around grass along with small swim baits, spinnerbaits around grass and frogs.

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:59 am

NRX 873 is in between those rods. Another all rounder if the GLX MBR 844

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:49 pm

Power wise, the NRX 873 is in between. Closer to the 894 then 893 in tip action as I recall (only fished it for about 10 minutes).

darrin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by darrin » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:35 pm

Thank you all for some ideas. I think the Javelin may be the one I should get. I think there is a Kistler in my future (too many people have said glowing things about it!), but for now, it will be a Javelin. TT crew, you're the best!