Rod Balancing.... Correct me if I am wrong...

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
wirinhar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Rod Balancing.... Correct me if I am wrong...

Post by wirinhar » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:20 am

Hi All,

Just managed to get the heaviest Ryoga 1016 (out of the box) and it is 285grams. :(... ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)
Rb0.jpg
Rb0.jpg (263.05 KiB) Viewed 5362 times

But when I put the reel (without line) on these 2 rods (1st is an NRX and 2nd is Conquest),

They look pretty good and It looks like this Ryoga sits much more balance on the top of NRX than the Conquest.
Please correct me if i am wrong. and to be frank with you I know nothing about the rod balancing...

1st. NRX
RB1.jpg
RB1.jpg (262.14 KiB) Viewed 5362 times
2nd. Conquest
RB2.jpg
RB2.jpg (217.43 KiB) Viewed 5362 times
All inputs are much appreciated.

Regards,
Wirinhar

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Rod Balancing.... Correct me if I am wrong...

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:44 am

Are the rods the same length and power? This will affect your fulcrum point. Also, the overall rear grip length will affect the balance point. The NRX has lighter guide train, though I dont care for the recoil guides myself. It might just be a couple grams of difference-but remember, the further from the fulcrum point, the more those few grams will affect balance. I always have my custom rods built with an adjustable counterbalance-weighted butt. It increases the overall weight of the rod, but feels lighter because you aren't fighting torsional forces from gravity pulling the tip down.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

wirinhar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by wirinhar » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:00 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:Are the rods the same length and power? This will affect your fulcrum point. Also, the overall rear grip length will affect the balance point. The NRX has lighter guide train, though I dont care for the recoil guides myself. It might just be a couple grams of difference-but remember, the further from the fulcrum point, the more those few grams will affect balance. I always have my custom rods built with an adjustable counterbalance-weighted butt. It increases the overall weight of the rod, but feels lighter because you are fighting torsional forces from gravity pulling the tip down.
Thanks so much for info on the rod balancing, Hoohoorjoo.

Let say if those rods above have the same length and power, Will the 1st picture is much more balance compare to the second one?. and also does it make it much easier in casting as well as better in distance?.

Once again, Thank you in advance.

Regards,
Wirinhar

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:12 am

Most people will like a rod balanced near the faceplate for tip up presentations, like worms and jigs. A balance point that is a little farther up the rod is fine for reaction baits fished with the tip down. I would use the NRX for worms and the Conquest for reaction baits based on what you are showing. As was said, a little bit heavier rod that is balanced will feel lighter when fishing tip up presentations. I like a full cork rear grip on my custom rods partly because they help balance out most blanks, and they also just fish better.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:28 am

I balance all my rods so the balance point is close the mid point of the reel, or just a tad in front of that point, but not much.
Having a balanced setup lets me fish all day without fatigue. I didn't think about it when I was young, but now, at 70, I can still flip and punch all day with a balanced setup.
I use rubber chair legs and lead weights inside, taped to my rod butts with black electrical tape, to balance my rods.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:32 am

Yes, the closer the fulcrum point to the reel, the better-balanced the combo will feel. BPS used to sell a butt cap with lead weights called "The Balancer". Those were used with my first efforts of balancing rods. Im pretty sure that just the cap with no weights will balance that NRX right at the reel, if you can source one.
Edit: link added below:
https://caprasoutdoors.com/fishing/fish ... ystem.html
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:45 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:Yes, the closer the fulcrum point to the reel, the better-balanced the combo will feel. BPS used to sell a butt cap with lead weights called "The Balancer". Those were used with my first efforts of balancing rods. Im pretty sure that just the cap with no weights will balance that NRX right at the reel, if you can source one.
I still have one of those kits. I center drilled the butt of a non-BPS rod and used some of the kit's weights to balance it, using a sheet metal screw to hold them on. I used electrical tape to secure the weights so they wouldn't loosen during use.
I actually prefer those weights, because they are a smaller overall diameter that matches the rod butt's OD, but they are no longer available, so I use the chair leg caps now.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:49 am

mark poulson wrote:
hoohoorjoo wrote:Yes, the closer the fulcrum point to the reel, the better-balanced the combo will feel. BPS used to sell a butt cap with lead weights called "The Balancer". Those were used with my first efforts of balancing rods. Im pretty sure that just the cap with no weights will balance that NRX right at the reel, if you can source one.
I still have one of those kits. I center drilled the butt of a non-BPS rod and used some of the kit's weights to balance it, using a sheet metal screw to hold them on. I used electrical tape to secure the weights so they wouldn't loosen during use.
I actually prefer those weights, because they are a smaller overall diameter that matches the rod butt's OD, but they are no longer available, so I use the chair leg caps now.
I added a link in my post above yours. FYI, you can use quarters also, as well as stainless washers if you dont like the lead weights.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:04 am

Doh!!! Thanks for the link.
I make loops using 1/4" lead wire that just fit inside the chair leg caps, and that works really well for me. I tried round lead sinkers, but they were too much trouble to fine tune.
My buddy still uses the round lead sinkers, and uses quarters to fine tune his rod balancing, but I can get pretty close with my lead wire loops, and I can cut some of the wire off to fine tune them if they're too heavy.
As long as it balances either mid reel, or just a bit in front, it works for me.
All of the newest rods I have are lighter, and don't require lots of weight to balance them.
I still have some old rods, and I would have to add 4 oz. to balance some of them. I can't believe I used to fish them all day!

wirinhar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by wirinhar » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:52 pm

Thank you so very much for all the great infos. I appreciate alot.
Anyway I will try to buy the rod balancer online. \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ .

Also, does anyone know if the fulcrum point is right on the middle of the reel, will that make a further casting distance?

Sorry that I ask too many questions.

Regards,
Wirinhar

ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ShimanoFan » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:39 pm

When balance is taken into consideration, it should not be just the rod and reel only. The entire setup must be balanced with lure included.
Last edited by ShimanoFan on Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Why is there a concerted effort of hate? And why is it allowed?

TommyG
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TommyG » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:23 am

http://www.mudhole.com/The-Balancer-Removable-Butt-Cap
Just thought I would throw this in.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:42 pm

TommyG wrote:http://www.mudhole.com/The-Balancer-Removable-Butt-Cap
Just thought I would throw this in.
These work. Just add lead, and tape to rod butt after you slip them on:
https://www.acehardware.com/departments ... pads/51239
They come in 1", 1 1/8", and 1 1/4" too.