Best Swimbait Rod

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
blw
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Best Swimbait Rod

Post by blw » Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:26 pm

What are some good choices on a medium to upper scale swimbait rod to handle 1.5 oz to 2.5 oz baits ?

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Best Swimbait Rod

Post by Aquaftm45 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:58 pm

Top End. A 7'11 @ 186 grams with a full grip

If I threw Swimbaits often, I would look no further than this..

https://www.evergreen-fishing.com/goods ... 550_1.html

This one on sale. Although I don't have this particular rod, I do have (2) T.S. Series Destroyers and they are stellar. In the weight range of most 7'11 swimbait rods @ 229 grams.

TT Member Cristo has this rod and raves about it. Buy it before I do!

https://tackletrap.com/index.php?main_p ... s_id=10294

ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ShimanoFan » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:00 pm

Falcon Bucoo micro series. Still made in USA. Super lightweight. Sensitive and strong. I have used these for years and I love them.
Why is there a concerted effort of hate? And why is it allowed?

Revofisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Revofisher » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:22 pm

I have one of the imx pro series rods the 956 which would be good if you like a long full grip style rod. But for the weight range you mentioned i would get the megabass t.s. destroyer black jack . I also have this rod and it is great!! for the weight ranges you mentioned and the taper is awesome as well. its got enough meat in the lower end to handle single hook baits but also loads in a way to do the treble hook baits as well. I throw the deps bullshooter, wesley strader glide bait, triple trout, and different matt lures baits in the 2.5 ish weight range with the destroyer and really like it. Build quality is superb as well double footed guides all the way to the tip top.

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:07 am

Okay, speaking for Megabass and my opinion of course, also stated lure weights I would go anything related to the 7'11 MB category maybe exluding the 17' Destroyer offering(seems a bit lighter than previous interations). Super versatile for the weights that have been stated. Rods in that category I have experienced are the X4 BP. Unbelievable rod, lost her wheen i had a yak flip in a storm :doh: I have used the Phase 3 7'11" loved that rod plus it is acid wrapped. Thus far my favorite as it's blank is Core Inplex tech, ala X7 series is the ASL 7'11 :big grin: .I used that staff for anything up to 2.5 oz which is generally the weight range for my Bucca lures (TW bullshad and Bullgill).The Blackjack is super slick, but that is for my higher weight range such as the 3 to 4 + oz range. Most members know by now I mainly use the B Jack for the Bullshooter 160 and RoF 12 and 16 Hudds in 8in length. Any questions and more detail feel free to PM. My last suggestions would be Dobyns 795 or even an 806, a lot in IMHO is what style of swimming are you doing? That will determine the power and or tip action that you individually require for either treble based lure or single hook applications. Good luck in your search, so much to choose from. I-Rod also has a rod in the 1/2 to 4oz range, excellent company and products! Don't sleep on old Powell rods such as older Max and Endurance.

C_diesel2
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by C_diesel2 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:19 pm

I really like my Steez 7'4 heavy.....I dont use it for giant baits, but it handles up to medium size swim-baits beautifully.

nolegsinmiami
Angler
Angler

Post by nolegsinmiami » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:38 am

I am seeking a swimbait rod that sounds like described here. I would like to cast Gantarels, BBZ and Punkers. I was thinking of trying the Dobyns DC 795SB MT. I do like Loomis Rods, but don't want the super long handle that the IMX Pro has. Any other options to consider other than the Dobyns?

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:07 pm

blw wrote:What are some good choices on a medium to upper scale swimbait rod to handle 1.5 oz to 2.5 oz baits ?
This will be a one and done:

White Python

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:13 pm

blw wrote:What are some good choices on a medium to upper scale swimbait rod to handle 1.5 oz to 2.5 oz baits ?
If you'll never go over 2.5oz I highly recommend the Hyuga 72h. The tackle trap should have them in stock!

Derek777
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Derek777 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:24 pm

gan craft dead sword.
drt 73 remix.
tulala monstrou 75.
roman made centurion mind b r e a s t.

theres none better.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:54 pm

reason162 wrote:If you'll never go over 2.5oz I highly recommend the Hyuga 72h. The tackle trap should have them in stock!
Unfortunately, Hyuga have been discontinued and few models remain. That 72H is a fantastic rod but alas, they're all gone at TT.

I'm a big fan of the Megabass T.S. Black Jack as well for baits in that range, but it's capable of going a bit bigger as Cristo wrote. It's one sweet rod indeed but it's availability will wain as this year passes... it's a worthwhile acquisition.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:50 pm

bronzefly wrote: Unfortunately, Hyuga have been discontinued and few models remain. That 72H is a fantastic rod but alas, they're all gone at TT.
Damn...I'll have to edit my latest video lol...what a gem of a rod.