Power finesse rod

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Craiger12
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Power finesse rod

Post by Craiger12 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:43 am

Gone Phishin wrote:An 852 BCR GLX may fit the bill.
I'm more interested in the 892 Loomis offerings as I prefer longer rods. The IMX Pro falls more in my price range which is why I'm most interested in that rod.

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:56 am

I have several power finesse sticks - some custom and the others Megabass. You need to think through the following like any other rod decision:

Versatile or specific?
Long or short?
Line weight

You may want a custom.

In the arsenal are X4 hedgehog, Hien, jade Python fine Shootist, xmg50 lc862, himod mhx 822. Xmg50 LSJ862 is a true finesse stick. I only use FC for finesse; 5 to 10 lb.

The LC862 is used for Shakey head and finesse jigs and with trailers as it is the most powerful of the bunch and a good length at 7'2" for pitching. The length provides good control of big fish that take the jig. Don't like it for treble baits. Good for longer casts with slightly bigger finesse lures.

The Hien is my small TX rig rod.

The HMX822 is a DS rod.

The Jade Python is the small treble bait stick. It lets small hooks stay pinned nicely. Topwater and below surface.

The X4 is short, but makes for nice drop shot and other open hook applications that need a little more backbone near cover. Ok treble hooks rod due to the very soft tip. The shorter length is good for tight areas too.

The LSJ862 is finesse jigs without trailers and open hook applications in more open water areas. Wonderful for drop shot on Erie with the extra length. Also great for long presentations in very clear water.

HTH!

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:36 am

Megabass Western Flip F4 7'6

I am still waiting for them to get restocked at Sears...

https://www.sears.com/megabass-f4-76x7- ... 1581059730

Craiger12
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craiger12 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:01 pm

I think at this point I have it narrowed down to the Dobyns HP 742C or the Loomis IMX Pro 892. I would love to hear more opinions on the IMX Pro JWR series.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:02 pm

My vote would be a custom built on a Point Blank 69mlxf. Plenty versatile imo with 360 grams of power, fast tip, and deep flex. Plenty of power to move fish, with a tip section that will load up on the lightest stuff.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:08 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:My vote would be a custom built on a Point Blank 69mlxf. Plenty versatile imo with 360 grams of power, fast tip, and deep flex. Plenty of power to move fish, with a tip section that will load up on the lightest stuff.
Will braided line make up for a deeper flex with some of the mentioned techniques??? I mentioned that my power finesse combo is a little soft with 8lb P-Line Halo for things like small FB jigs, shaky heads, small TX rigs, etc. I might have to try some 20lb braid after all this talking of it...

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:26 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:My vote would be a custom built on a Point Blank 69mlxf. Plenty versatile imo with 360 grams of power, fast tip, and deep flex. Plenty of power to move fish, with a tip section that will load up on the lightest stuff.
Will braided line make up for a deeper flex with some of the mentioned techniques??? I mentioned that my power finesse combo is a little soft with 8lb P-Line Halo for things like small FB jigs, shaky heads, small TX rigs, etc. I might have to try some 20lb braid after all this talking of it...
I don't think line type effects the bend characteristics of the blank too much, but having braid with zero stretch will definitely load the blank quicker opposed to something with stretch.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:49 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:
I don't think line type effects the bend characteristics of the blank too much, but having braid with zero stretch will definitely load the blank quicker opposed to something with stretch.
That's more what I thought, getting into the "meat" of the rod quicker makes a difference for me, especially with lures with embedded hooks. Also with the extra sensitivity of braid one can be ready to set quicker. The opposite of that for me though is with more stiff rods, like some of the Abu's I use, a slight delay with them isn't so bad. Another rod I had like this was a TFO Shaky Head spinning rod, was an "extra fast" but just felt "stiff" to me (especially for a ML) and therefore worked better with 7lb FC Sniper.

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:28 am

I'm really digging the Expride 7'2ML/BFS.

bronzebacks
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bronzebacks » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:49 pm

Craiger12 wrote:
smalljaw wrote:It may be a little short at 7'1" but I think it fits your needs. G.Loomis IMX Pro 852C JWR, it is an extra fast action and works great for shaky heads and smaller finesse jigs and Neko rigs, it might be worth your time to check one out.
I was actually looking at the IMX Pro 892C JWR. It seems to fit all my criteria perfectly, but I couldn't really find any reviews or thoughts on the new IMX Pro series at all when I looked. I don't want a downgrade in sensitivity from the Dobyns HP series that I'm used to fishing.
I have the 853c and wasn't impressed until i balanced it out. Now it fishes like a totally different rod and is very sensitive. I had a dx and hated the way it flexed and it felt dead to me. The dobyns did balance very good tho compared to my imx pro