NRX casting rods for inshore?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
nolegsinmiami
Angler
Angler

Re: NRX casting rods for inshore?

Post by nolegsinmiami » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:29 am

I have three conquest casting and two conquest spinning - I like them as well and the guides are better, but too small for inshore fishing and too expensive to change out IMHO.

I don't really care for the GLX line of rods as too me they seem too stiff. The NRX has a nice tip, backbone. and a lot on sensitivity.

The NRX Inshore spinning are nice rods - I have six of the models. Again, only issue if the REC guides. One thing that wasn't noted, the REC guides on the inshore spinning seem like the size is off meaning that a 8 ring size on the REC guide may be actually smaller than a 8 ring Fuji.

I like high end rods, but I have been more than impressed with the E6X Inshore. I wouldn't have even considered them, but a shimano/loomis guide had them on his boat and I liked them so much I bought three. The improvements on the new ones should make them even better.

esvangler
Angler
Angler

Post by esvangler » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:00 pm

one of the reasons I was considering the the GLX is because I was looking at the 892c. are the rods really so stiff that the 892c wouldn't be able to throw a 1/4oz bait??

Mike son
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mike son » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:51 pm

JBcrankaddict wrote:843 for 3/8-1oz
Really? I've got an NRX 843 and never thought it could go up to 1oz, I think it's rated to 5/8oz if I recall correctly.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:41 am

Mike son wrote:
Really? I've got an NRX 843 and never thought it could go up to 1oz, I think it's rated to 5/8oz if I recall correctly.
Yes. I throw 1/2oz and 3/4oz D&M Piranhas on 843's and they are way heavier than the stated weight. 1/2oz with trailer is 25g I believe, and 3/4 with trailer is over 1oz. 843 has always been a MH rod, even when they change the ratings, so I fish it like one and it performs great. I've also thrown up to 3/4oz topwaters on my 842 on occasion(not very often), and it can handle that even though rated to 3/8oz.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:46 am

esvangler wrote:one of the reasons I was considering the the GLX is because I was looking at the 892c. are the rods really so stiff that the 892c wouldn't be able to throw a 1/4oz bait??
It's a Medium powered fast action rod with a good tip, so I would think it could throw 1/4oz twitchbaits and shrimp pretty easily. My buddy has that rod in spinning, and the action is really nice and responsive.

esvangler
Angler
Angler

Post by esvangler » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:51 pm

well I sure hope so, I already bought it!! :lol: cant wait to get up in the skinny water and see how this GLX performs!

DrTrevorkian
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DrTrevorkian » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:42 pm

JBcrankaddict wrote:
Mike son wrote:
Yes. I throw 1/2oz and 3/4oz D&M Piranhas on 843's and they are way heavier than the stated weight. 1/2oz with trailer is 25g I believe, and 3/4 with trailer is over 1oz. 843 has always been a MH rod, even when they change the ratings, so I fish it like one and it performs great. I've also thrown up to 3/4oz topwaters on my 842 on occasion(not very often), and it can handle that even though rated to 3/8oz.
Mike son,

I’m in agreement with JBcrankaddict. As an owner of: 842C, 843C, 852C, 916UBR, 852S, 842S, 901S, and the venerable 822S, I can tell you without a doubt, you can fish heavy within reason as long as you don’t snap a hard cast like you would within the rod’s rating. Also, I don’t advise ripping heavier baits outside the ratings. But I fish heavier quite often with no ill effects. You just have to know the limits of what the rod can reasonably handle.

Full disclosure, I fish for walleyes, pike, smallies, muskies, steelhead, coho salmon, and lake run browns with my NRX’s. I’ve been contemplating the similar spinning and casting Conquests for the silver fish, out of a boat only, with the stronger blanks and all...