18 Poison Adrena jdm worth it?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
kunia13
Angler
Angler

18 Poison Adrena jdm worth it?

Post by kunia13 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:01 pm

Your thoughts? Worth it?
I'm looking at their two piece medium light and medium casting rods.
I have a two piece BFS zodias and was wondering if adrena is a worthy upgrade.
Any other suggestions for two piece casting rods in that power rating?
Here in Canada we pretty much have nothing that's two piece decent rod...in general our rod selection and what's available sucks.
thx

timinmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: 18 Poison Adrena jdm worth it?

Post by timinmo » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:19 pm

I can't speak to the two piece rods but in general I would say the Adrena are very nice rods. I have one that is a couple years old and have fished with some newer ones, all very very good rods.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:43 pm

Strange timing. I literally just recieved mine in the mail today from JPangler. I got the 2 piece 6'10 medium. Worthy upgrade from the Zodias - every day of the week. I also have / had 1st gens. I like this one better and I haven't even fished it yet. It's lighter and I feel confident saying it will be more sensitive throughout. The new grip feels more like a full grip, which is a big plus in my book, because I'm not a fan of split grips. I don't think the blank has changed any, and I'm perfectly fine with that. The difference in the blank design and material alone make it an upgrade from the Zodias. I find them much more versatile and lively - better materials, and the handle on the 18 series really sets these rods apart.

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:52 pm

kunia13 wrote:Your thoughts? Worth it?
Here in Canada we pretty much have nothing that's two piece decent rod...in general our rod selection and what's available sucks.
thx
I got a very different rod in the same release--72h

Some thought here: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=78031&start=30#p627926

I think it's worth the money. As others cautioned me about últimas, adrenas also seem to fish lighter than rated (in my hands at least). The action is fast, but the blank seems whippy and bends deeply under load. Took me a bit of getting used to. Definitely not a broomsick. I did not expect as much application for moving treble hook baits with this rod, but it really works for that application in my hands.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:34 pm

Polkfish1 wrote:
thx
I got a very different rod in the same release--72h

Some thought here: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=78031&start=30#p627926

I think it's worth the money. As others cautioned me about últimas, adrenas also seem to fish lighter than rated (in my hands at least). The action is fast, but the blank seems whippy and bends deeply under load. Took me a bit of getting used to. Definitely not a broomsick. I did not expect as much application for moving treble hook baits with this rod, but it really works for that application in my hands.
It's pretty typical for the JDM rod market. Blanks with a progressive taper and fast tip, where as the Zodias and most rods marketed for the US are built for with less progressive tapers and power in mind. It's pretty easy to discern which is going to be more universal, which is what most people look for in a travel rod unless they have a specific technique in mind.

kunia13
Angler
Angler

Post by kunia13 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:50 am

Thanks
I'll probably end up getting 2 piece medium power.
Now I need to figure out what reel to pair it with :)

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:29 am

have the gen 1 2pc medium in 6.10. Its great and sensitive, but feels more like a medium heavy than a medium. A bit too stiff for my taste.

Loafer
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Loafer » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:07 pm

Not 18 Adrena, but: viewtopic.php?f=65&t=77069

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:36 pm

SSS wrote:have the gen 1 2pc medium in 6.10. Its great and sensitive, but feels more like a medium heavy than a medium. A bit too stiff for my taste.
I think it's pretty spot on power wise, in contrast to most JDM rods. If I had to guess, I'd say it's somewhere between 375 and 400 grams of power.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:38 pm

kunia13 wrote:Thanks
The nice thing about the 18 model is that Shimano ditched all the red highlights, so just about any reel will look good on it. It's a very stealth, under stated rod.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:45 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
SSS wrote:have the gen 1 2pc medium in 6.10. Its great and sensitive, but feels more like a medium heavy than a medium. A bit too stiff for my taste.
I think it's pretty spot on power wise, in contrast to most JDM rods. If I had to guess, I'd say it's somewhere between 375 and 400 grams of power.
Its spot on when compared to shimano rods, but i wouldn't say that megabass rods of the same power are as stiff, at least not the ones i've used or currently own.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:49 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
The nice thing about the 18 model is that Shimano ditched all the red highlights, so just about any reel will look good on it. It's a very stealth, under stated rod.
lol the red accents are so bad. It looks cheap, $70 cheap. Even the expride looks better and that's a much cheaper rod. My Adrena looks ugly on every reel i put it on :strface:

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:55 pm

SSS wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:
Its spot on when compared to shimano rods, but i wouldn't say that megabass rods of the same power are as stiff, at least not the ones i've used or currently own.
I don't find the Adrena stiff at all. It's very reminiscent of Point Blank

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:56 pm

SSS wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:
lol the red accents are so bad. It looks cheap, $70 cheap. Even the expride looks better and that's a much cheaper rod. My Adrena looks ugly on every reel i put it on :strface:
LOL. We shall agree to disagree. It looks anything but cheap

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:13 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
SSS wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:
I don't find the Adrena stiff at all. It's very reminiscent of Point Blank
X2 Heavy power is all have experience with in the adrena line. But like a noodle in my hands compared to similarly rated megabass. Thinking back the g-ax may have been one kind of comparable, but stiffer nonetheless. Always find it interesting that we can feel rods differently. That's why you have to try em yourself I suppose :D