16 Destroyer JDM v. 17 USA Destroyer

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Bigguy
Angler
Angler

16 Destroyer JDM v. 17 USA Destroyer

Post by Bigguy » Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:11 pm

Are the 17 USA Destroyers the same blanks as the 16 JDM Destroyers? Sorry if this seems obvious, but I can't figure it out with the "google". :big grin:

CGrinder
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: 16 Destroyer JDM v. 17 USA Destroyer

Post by CGrinder » Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:13 pm

They are not the same. I'm sure Gary and M Perry will chime in shortly with more specifics.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:22 pm

i don't know about the blanks since the models are not the same, BUT I know the components are not the same.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

M Perry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by M Perry » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:14 am

Bigguy wrote:Are the 17 USA Destroyers the same blanks as the 16 JDM Destroyers? Sorry if this seems obvious, but I can't figure it out with the "google". :big grin:

Yes, they share the same blanks. Different actions obviously but same blanks.

CGrinder
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CGrinder » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:29 am

:shock: :shock: :shock:

I swear that it was posted in one of the threads that the blanks were different.

Kinda makes me want a Bandersnatch now.

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:22 pm

The texture or ribbing of the unfished blank on my faust and super destroyer both (16JDM) are the same. The texture of my FMJ (17USA) is noticeably different than the jdm models. I feel like my super destroyer is more sensitive than my FMJ. My best guess is they are using different graphite.

M Perry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by M Perry » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:03 pm

Obz wrote:The texture or ribbing of the unfished blank on my faust and super destroyer both (16JDM) are the same. The texture of my FMJ (17USA) is noticeably different than the jdm models. I feel like my super destroyer is more sensitive than my FMJ. My best guess is they are using different graphite.

They share the same blanks.

jpmoney
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jpmoney » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:52 pm

M Perry wrote:
Obz wrote:The texture or ribbing of the unfished blank on my faust and super destroyer both (16JDM) are the same. The texture of my FMJ (17USA) is noticeably different than the jdm models. I feel like my super destroyer is more sensitive than my FMJ. My best guess is they are using different graphite.

They share the same blanks.
Same blanks? Please explain further because to my understanding there is no 16 destroyer JDM rod that is equivalent to even 1 model from the 17 US destroyer lineup.

Do you mean “similar” in terms of blank design? That would make sense, but to say they are the “same” blanks is declaring they are identical and equal, which makes no sense at all.

Winstondry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Winstondry » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:08 pm

CGrinder wrote::shock: :shock: :shock:

I swear that it was posted in one of the threads that the blanks were different.

Kinda makes me want a Bandersnatch now.
I’m picking up a Bandersnatch later this week. What would be your intended use if you were to get one?

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:14 pm

jpmoney wrote:Same blanks? Please explain further because to my understanding there is no 16 destroyer JDM rod that is equivalent to even 1 model from the 17 US destroyer lineup.

Blank material/technology and each rod's specific action/taper are not the same thing. When he says they are using the same blanks, he means the same material/technology behind the blanks.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

CGrinder
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CGrinder » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:24 pm

Snatching banders, obviously. \:D/

I'm looking for a rod to run fluoro on and throw Senkos, 1/4oz swim and conventional jigs, paddletails, texas rigs, etc. A little bit of everything. I'm also shorebound so the reduced length is attractive. I really want a Super Destroyer but it will be way too much rod for swimming jigs with lighter wire hooks.

M Perry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by M Perry » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:41 pm

Cal wrote:
jpmoney wrote:Same blanks? Please explain further because to my understanding there is no 16 destroyer JDM rod that is equivalent to even 1 model from the 17 US destroyer lineup.

Blank material/technology and each rod's specific action/taper are not the same thing. When he says they are using the same blanks, he means the same material/technology behind the blanks.

Exactly. Thanks Cal.

I should have been more clear. Was posting on breaks at work and should have waited till I could better elaborate. Sorry. Thanks again for clarifying.

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:37 am

The JDM vs USDM thing was bothering me so I loaded the same line, weight, and lure on my super destroyer as well as my FMJ. I get that they have different tapers and length but share the same power and lure rating so I thought it would be a fun comparison. I put 16# shooter, 5/16 oz gambler Super strong shakey Head, with a Yamamoto cowboy on both rods and went to work. LSS they were both very sensitive and if there was a difference it was undiscernable to me. Previously, I was rigging that cowboy with a 1/4oz bullet weight, on the FMJ and I was having some trouble with bite detection. Its hard to explain, I would know the fish was there, set the hook, then jack the fish, but there was no 'tick'. I think the bass were vacuuming the bait before the weight made contact with anything. After adjusting to the heavier shakey head I had no issues. I appreciated the extra length of the FMJ for hooksets and playing fish. In summary, I'm pretty stoked on a rod I was initially underwhelmed with. I now wish my super destroyer was an FMJ lol. Hope you guys find this interesting. I wasn't sure if I should start a new thread or not.

Bigguy
Angler
Angler

Post by Bigguy » Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:26 am

Thanks for all of the replies. They were all very helpful.
I am looking to throw jerk baits with either the Hein or 110 special. The fact that they are the same blank takes it down to action / power.
Is the Hein too fast or does the 3 vs 4.5 power soften it up enough to not drop fish?
Does the Hein have enough power to get the hard action out of a jerk bait?
I'm throwing a St. Croix 6'8"m fast (LTB) - (and like the power of the rod), is the Hein or 110 Special more similar to the St. Croix in terms of power?

Sorry for the stream of consciousness questions - but these are the pressing tackle issues I'm thinking about these days. :D (I might also be looking for a new jig rod (Destroyer FMJ v. NRX 8_3).

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:08 am

Just get it you're going to be happy with it trust me. Tip is definitely designed for pinning the prey ;) The question IMHO for this standout specimen is what cant this rod do :-k relative to class of course :laugh1: Blank for this specimen in my hands is an especially outstanding transducer for transmitting what is happening with your lure and that is using FC. imagine a spool of 10lb to 20lb spectra/braid or Top Shot :big grin: