Observations of Conquest 904c vs. NRX894c

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
pbird
Angler
Angler

Observations of Conquest 904c vs. NRX894c

Post by pbird » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:48 pm

Got a chance to fish for three days on Kentucky Lake this past weekend with my new 904c Conquest. I already have 2 NRX894c and ran all three rods with 2016 Metaniums lined with new 16 lb Sunline Shooter on all. I was fishing a variety of baits - Keitech swimbaits (4.8 and 5.8 fat impact on 1/2 and 3/4 oz heads), hair jigs (5/8 and 1 oz), 3/4 oz football jigs, 3/4 oz shakeyhead with large 10+ worms and 1 oz scrounger head jigs with castaic swimbait. I caught several 2-6 lb. bass on both rods in water from 10-25 feet of water.

Note - I currently own 10 Nrx's and think they are fantastic. I love the light weight and am a sensitivity whore.

Weight: The Conquest feels lighter than the NRX and not by a little. I didn't weight them on purpose but no question that the Conquest is better balanced and is more nimble of the two. By way of feel, the 904c feels in the hand about halfway between a NRX893c and NRX894c.

Casting: This is where the Conquest shines. I love the Torzite guides. You better have a Full spool on a Metanium to throw a 1 oz hair jig. This rod also loads up really well casting 1/2 to 1 oz baits. Much better than the 894c.

Speed: The 894c is definitely and extra fast rod. Not sure I would even call the 904 a fast action. I would go with "almost fast" or extra medium.

Sensitivity: NRX wins this and it's not close. That's right, not close. When stroking a hair jig or popping a football jig the feel of the jig hitting a rocky bottom is WAY more noticeable on the NRX. With the Conquest it is a subtle, mushy thud that was often not detected on the end of a cast. Bottom composition is much more apparent on the NRX. On a fish strike the difference is the same. Big winner here for the NRX.

Hookset: The NRX with its much faster action pays dividends here - if you want it. For me, in deep water with lots of line out and a big single hook, I want it.

Power: I caught a 5-9 and a 5-13 on each and I can tell you that the 894 has a lot more backbone and you get to it much quicker than the Conquest. I could tell no difference on rod twist or whatever Shimano claims the spiral wrap helps with. Not sure where the "extra power" of the Conquest was, but I could not find it.

One last note, I didn't try it but I think that the 904c might be a GREAT big cranking rod.

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Observations of Conquest 904c vs. NRX894c

Post by Fishing4Fun » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:41 pm

Very nice review. Interesting comments. I have heard others say they felt they were less sensitive than the NRX rods. Clearly there will be differing views and it could be something where it varies on the models selected as there are usually gems in each lineup. You might be onto something with your observations about the action lending itselt more towards others things. Could even be a good deep water swimjig, chatterbait, or spinnerbait rod from your description too.

That is too bad and I wonder how many will try to justify them having better feel because of what they paid for them?

I know for me a NRX is really all I need. As a matter of fact my GLX MBR 844 doesn't miss much of a beat when it comes to jig fishing and I get the same full cork handle as the Conquest and sharp but subtle blank, guides, and cosmetics.

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:58 am

I found d the 904 more powerful than 894.

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:05 pm

Your description of the 904c hits a chord with my (admitidly limited-weeks) experience with a heavy power ultima. Anyone have direct experience comparing similarly rated conquests versus ultimas with the nrx as a standard?

DChiWildcats
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DChiWildcats » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:50 pm

I caught a 10 pounder fishing a frog a few weeks ago with the 904 through thick grass. No power issues here.

Also caught one just under 10 a month ago during FLW practice with the 904 throwing an A Rig, very versatile.

Also caught multiple 2-4's last weekend at Clear Lake pitching a t-rigged craw around docks and grass. Super sensitive. I like it way better than my 894's. Personal preference.

Unimog
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Unimog » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:19 am

It’s finally time here to go out deep with the 905s and 904s and I’m very interested to see how they are. I better not regret replacing my equivalent nrxs!

capesmallie
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by capesmallie » Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:30 am

I agree 100% with the original poster ( really great write up ). I got a conquest 904c 902s 844c all three are amazing rods but.... not nrx sensitive. I have the nrx 894 and several 902 s they are considerably more sensitive in my hands especially the 902. If I was looking for a do it all 7’6” heavy action casting rod I would pick the conquest it can do it all, but if I was looking for a bottom contact specific rod I would go NRX. Of course this is just my opinion and every one is different

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:58 am

I've found that faster action rods feel a bit more sensitive then slower action rods. could this be some of the difference?

it has been a long time now, but I think the TT reveiw or preview of the conquest concluded it was not more sensitive; just different. Did I dream that?

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:43 am

cndbasshunter wrote:I found d the 904 more powerful than 894.
I agree. Once the rod is loaded up, the Conquest has more power, it just loads further into the blank.

With regard to sensitivity, I don't find the difference between the 894 and 904 to be as wide a gap as the OP. Yes, the NRX is a bit more crisp, but I don't feel like the Conquest is going to cause me to miss bites due to a lack of sensitivity! Overall, the Conquest rods may not be quite on the level of NRX in terms of sensitivity, but they are very sensitive, light, and extremely versatile - further, they seem to be as tough as nails from my experience so far.

They're both great rods with their own pros and cons. I'm glad to have both of them 8-)
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap