Anyone have experience with the 13 Omen Black travel rods?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
oops
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Anyone have experience with the 13 Omen Black travel rods?

Post by oops » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:46 pm

Buying a rod to leave in my car to let a friend use if they want to meet up with me. I'm personally not a fan of spinning gear, but I could see myself actually bringing it on vacation just in case I see some fishy looking water. My spinning arsenal currently consists of one Stradic 2500 FJ, some 13 Omen Black dropshot rod and an NRX 822 DSR or SYR (I really don't remember. I think I fished it once after I bought it. Selling rods is too much of a hassle). Been over a year since I've touched any of them. In my limited use of the 13 dropshot rod, it felt pretty good. Especially considering I think I paid like $60 for the thing after a rebate (bought it to loan to a different friend. Should have gotten a 2-3 piece then), so the Omen Black travel rods are at the top of my list.

Looking at the medium and medium heavy and a bit confused by the specs. Medium is listed as 12-20lb and 3/8-1oz and MH is listed as 10-17lb and 1/4-5/8oz. Seems odd that the specs wouldn't be reversed for these two. Rod will be used 90% of the time to throw swimbaits/soft plastics on a 1/4 or 3/8oz jighead. Anyone have experience with one or both and want to chime in with their experiences? The $150 MSRP (definitely not going to pay $150) is the most I'm looking to put into this, but I'm open to anything else at or below this price level.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Anyone have experience with the 13 Omen Black travel rods?

Post by SSS » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:38 am

I didn't, but i expect the rod to explode on a cast. 13Fishing blanks :lol:

hzzhangc
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by hzzhangc » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:16 pm

I used to own the MH model. Feels like a dead stick and dont like it at all. For your budget you should be able to get a nice travel rod from Major Craft.

timinmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by timinmo » Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:54 am

St. Croix also makes some travel rod that you might check out. Not sure of prices or selection.

oops
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by oops » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:55 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. Sounds like the 13 rod definitely isn't what I'm looking for. Daiwa Ardito and St Croix Triumph were at the top of my list after a bit more research. Ended up snagging the MH Ardito for $82 on some site that had like 30% off on it already plus another 10% with a Father's Day coupon. At that price, I think it will be hard for me to be disappointed in it. Looking forward to trying it out once after I get it and then tossing it in my car to loan out from time to time.

Unfortunately while searching for this rod for a friend, I came across the Troutin Marquis series from Abu, and now I really want the UL telescopic spinning rod for myself :lol:

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:41 pm

If you like the dark side I definitely can say Megabass make a few very lovely, tough, elegant and functional selections :big grin: