Phenix Recon PHX-C682 and PHX-C712 differences

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
radu_andrei
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Phenix Recon PHX-C682 and PHX-C712 differences

Post by radu_andrei » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:06 am

I kindly ask those who have fished these 2 rods, to tell me what are the main differences, of course besides the obvious difference in length. I am referring to whether the 5 inches more make the PHX-C712 softer than the PHX-C682, more suitable for fishing with small hard baits ?
Thanks !!!

radu_andrei
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Phenix Recon PHX-C682 and PHX-C712 differences

Post by radu_andrei » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:08 am

I mean the Gen.2 Recons and not the new Recon Elite

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:03 pm

I called phenix about the light power recons both 6'8" and 7'1" and the 7'1" feather. He said they were all virtually identical in power and taper with the 6'8 being a bit quicker in the tip but the feather was noticeable lighter overall. I got the feather 7'1" and it does very well with bfs hardbaits.

radu_andrei
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by radu_andrei » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:59 am

ss30378 wrote:I called phenix about the light power recons both 6'8" and 7'1" and the 7'1" feather. He said they were all virtually identical in power and taper with the 6'8 being a bit quicker in the tip but the feather was noticeable lighter overall. I got the feather 7'1" and it does very well with bfs hardbaits.
Thanks. Just the same thing I was thinking about, namely to focus on the Phenix Feather 7'1" light casting rod. I found a Phenix Recon 2 casting rod, model PHX-C713, but I don't think it suits for small hardbait fishing.

VAsmallies
Angler
Angler

Post by VAsmallies » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:34 pm

Interesting observation about the Recon 2 C713. I have a recon 2 c683 and think its too slow in action and light in power for everything but treble hooked hard baits. I use it for pin point casting 1/4 poppers and small jerkbaits with light braid.

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:52 pm

I cant speak for the recon but if its truly similar to the feather then i will say that it is fun with lures in its weight range. I started off with mini t-rigs with a 1/32 bullet, size 4 gamakatsu ewg hook with a yum sharp shooter was working well then i swapped to a bitsy pond minnow and kept the streak going. Ive also used some 2g pins minnows with the rod with success. This was with an alphas air fyi.

Compared to other bfs rods i have used the feather is more similar to the 6'6" XL legend inshore as far as power and taper go than it is say to the 6'5"L cronos, 6'4"L hyuga or 6'4"L super trickster. Those rods have a much faster and responsive tip than the feather but the feather seems to be a touch faster than legend inshore xtra light.

radu_andrei
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by radu_andrei » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:52 am

I did not fish the Recon PHX-713C, I only saw it in the store and this is my opinion, that this rod is not the best choice for fishing with small hardbaits. I might be mistaken, but that's what I think after I fished these two models of Phenix Recon:
The first one is a spinning rod, model PHX-S723, which has the same features (lure weight 1/8-1/4 oz, line weight 6-12 lb) as the rod in question (PHX-713C) but for my taste it's a bit quicker in the tip for chub and trout fishing with small hardbaits (1/16 oz) but it’s a perfect rod, at least in my opinion, for finesse jigging on perch.
The second one, is a baitcast rod, model PHX-714C (lure weight 1/4-3/4 oz, line weight 8-17 lb) which I used to fish (because in the meantime I sold it) with jigs, texas and carolina rigs for walleye.
I asked about the PHX-C712 and PHX-C682 because I'm looking for a real BFS rod with which I can throw small hardbaits (as I wrote above 1/16 oz and even smaller) for trout and chub fishing.

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:14 am

I havent used the 3 power phenix rods but the 2 powers are very soft, more so than other bfs specific rods except the legend inshore i had which is a bone fish rod with moderate taper rated to 1/32oz. Ive casted down 1.3g on the feather

ChitownSkunk
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by ChitownSkunk » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:05 pm

ss30378 wrote:I cant speak for the recon but if its truly similar to the feather then i will say that it is fun with lures in its weight range. I started off with mini t-rigs with a 1/32 bullet, size 4 gamakatsu ewg hook with a yum sharp shooter was working well then i swapped to a bitsy pond minnow and kept the streak going. Ive also used some 2g pins minnows with the rod with success. This was with an alphas air fyi.

Compared to other bfs rods i have used the feather is more similar to the 6'6" XL legend inshore as far as power and taper go than it is say to the 6'5"L cronos, 6'4"L hyuga or 6'4"L super trickster. Those rods have a much faster and responsive tip than the feather but the feather seems to be a touch faster than legend inshore xtra light.
This comparison is what I’ve been hoping to speak with someone about. I recently paired a tatula sv to a dx701c. The tips seems too fast for me to get lighter baits out there. I’ve been contemplating a little slower tip and bit less backbone. I could very well be me, I’ve fished my whole life but just starting to get serious now, so my skill could use some improvement. Do you think the recon feather would help me out?

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:43 pm

ChitownSkunk wrote:
ss30378 wrote:I cant speak for the recon but if its truly similar to the feather then i will say that it is fun with lures in its weight range. I started off with mini t-rigs with a 1/32 bullet, size 4 gamakatsu ewg hook with a yum sharp shooter was working well then i swapped to a bitsy pond minnow and kept the streak going. Ive also used some 2g pins minnows with the rod with success. This was with an alphas air fyi.

This comparison is what I’ve been hoping to speak with someone about. I recently paired a tatula sv to a dx701c. The tips seems too fast for me to get lighter baits out there. I’ve been contemplating a little slower tip and bit less backbone. I could very well be me, I’ve fished my whole life but just starting to get serious now, so my skill could use some improvement. Do you think the recon feather would help me out?
How light are you throwing? The feather is soft but without fishing or even holding a 701 its hard for me to give you a good comparison. I just tossed a .6g lure with the air stream custom today with some success on the feather but it was too light for the rod. 1.3g on up is very workable with a light spooled reel.

ChitownSkunk
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by ChitownSkunk » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:53 pm

Not sure why I just assumed you’ve thrown the 701... ok, thanks though that gives me some direction. 1.3g is about 1/25oz. So 1/16oz might be ok.

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:38 am

Yes 1/16oz (2g) works well on the feather. I was throwing a 1/16 pins minnow this morning and its a true 1/16oz (1.95g on my scale). The feather actually loads a little bit at this weight and i can pinpoint casts without much thought.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:48 pm

ss30378 wrote: Compared to other bfs rods i have used the feather is more similar to the 6'6" XL legend inshore as far as power and taper go than it is say to the 6'5"L cronos, 6'4"L hyuga or 6'4"L super trickster. Those rods have a much faster and responsive tip than the feather but the feather seems to be a touch faster than legend inshore xtra light.
Instesting. I just picked up a legend inshore xtra light a few months ago and to me it feels far lighter and softer then my Recon 2 c682.

I like them both but the XL Legend is to me far more a perch/trout rod then a bass rod. It has power for sure but I don't think I would like it for any kind of plastic or jig. The Recon2 is well into the Mod end of Fast, but it still works great for most "senko and thinner" plastics. I just bumped mine to the back bench to try a XXX Black Themis and honestly I am not sure which I like better. The reel seat on the Recon2 kills me though, I think if I go back to it I will sell the rod and have a custom built on the blank with a different seat.

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:39 pm

Houndfish wrote:
ss30378 wrote: Compared to other bfs rods i have used the feather is more similar to the 6'6" XL legend inshore as far as power and taper go than it is say to the 6'5"L cronos, 6'4"L hyuga or 6'4"L super trickster. Those rods have a much faster and responsive tip than the feather but the feather seems to be a touch faster than legend inshore xtra light.
Instesting. I just picked up a legend inshore xtra light a few months ago and to me it feels far lighter and softer then my Recon 2 c682.

I like them both but the XL Legend is to me far more a perch/trout rod then a bass rod. It has power for sure but I don't think I would like it for any kind of plastic or jig. The Recon2 is well into the Mod end of Fast, but it still works great for most "senko and thinner" plastics. I just bumped mine to the back bench to try a XXX Black Themis and honestly I am not sure which I like better. The reel seat on the Recon2 kills me though, I think if I go back to it I will sell the rod and have a custom built on the blank with a different seat.
I think i should clarify a bit. The inshore does flex deeper and is a bit softer than the feather but the feather is definitely softer than the other bfs rods i posted. The feather shows a 1/8oz low end too but thats off. My other bfs rods are rated to 1/16oz and have a much more powerful tip and are harder to load than the feather.

radu_andrei
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by radu_andrei » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:53 pm

That's exactly what I meant: If the rod’s tip is too fast it’s harder to get lighter baits out there. That's why I said I do not think the PHX-C713 is the right choice for small hardbaits and, in my opinion, the old Recon PHX-C712 or the new Feather 7’1” light would make a better BFS rod because they are softer and will load better lighter baits.