Megabass rod help

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Megabass rod help

Post by goldrod » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:35 pm

Megabass F3-610X Hein
Megabass TS72X Poker
Megabass F4-71T The Tomahawk

Looking at these three rods.. The hein and the tomahawk are the main two Im looking at.
the hein for jb's and topwater lures.. the tomahawk the same but being 7'1" id want to do other stuff just not cranking..i have that covered.. So if you have either please expound on what you like and dont like about them.
the Poker is just a jig stick or pitching but Im a concerned about the sensitivity.. For the hein, if i dont sell this conquest 50 i would start off with that reel on that rod but im not sure how it would balance out. Any on the water feedback on these rods would be appreciated ..
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Megabass rod help

Post by goldrod » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:50 pm

also for the hein, im looking at 1/4 oz jigs.. ?
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:45 am

The Hien is sick just do it :lol: For a while that was my primary finesse drop shot rod but I leave really liked it for quarter ounce and trailer jig combinations as well.

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:47 am

I have several words of encouragement about the Poker! Haven't gotten too much time on the water with her but when everyone throws around the word sensitivity I pretty much ignore that at this point in my humble opinion it's all about how it feels in the hands of the other person but thus far I really like the sensitivity for what the rod is intended for along with the other rods I've owned in the TS Destroyer line :big grin:

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:28 am

Cristo wrote:The Hien is sick just do it :lol: For a while that was my primary finesse drop shot rod but I leave really liked it for quarter ounce and trailer jig combinations as well.
You really made it harder because now I’m look at two rods vice one.

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:54 am

Yes it seems to be prominent problem in our community but seems like the old saying goes here get them both :big grin: I'm telling you in my opinion the Hien is probably one of the top two jewels IMHO in the JDM Destroyer 16 and 17 alike. The other rod I would say it would be for sure the Faust I haven't had my hands on one yet but the consensus is that staff is sweet diggity!! The tip on the hind allows it to do a great many things I used it for a moving bait Rod exclusively for a while as well like DT 10s in my favorite deep little Ns. 6 and 10 lb line were my favorite lines to use on the Hien. I would imagine 10 to 15 pound Power Pro would be super sweet :big grin: but I never threw braid on my specimen. :laugh1:

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:57 am

If you truly want in a finesse oriented stick that can do other things like all megabass Rod seemingly can or any rod for that fact depending if you can get over the ego and adjust your fishing style to the stick :lol: the Hien to me is one of the more coveted lighter sticks out there probably number three overall in baitcasting configuration in my opinion and now my experience in a great many finesse style sticks that they produced. Of course all this is strictly my opinion. It was hard to let her go but I'm all about higher and sticks right now :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:59 am

Her replacement was hard to find but hopefully it will manifest nicely in the ASL 6'11" Force #3 coming to the team soon :big grin:

BoatBuggy
Angler
Angler

Post by BoatBuggy » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:12 pm

Can anyone comment on how the Hein would do with Duo 90 and 80 GFix spybaits? I much prefer spybaiting with casting gear and my primary rod is a GLX 852c JWR and use my XX Flatside Special as a secondary rod. 99.9% of my spybait fish are smallies so the rod needs to be able to react quickly to all those smallmouth shenanigans.

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:23 pm

If they're the ones that I'm thinking of I used to fishing in the 3/8 ounce category it does fine but I never been a big fan of spybaiting but with that being said I feel the tip and the sensitivity of the Destroyer blanks JDM and US alike are super sweet on that level of course that's in my hands take that how you will homie :big grin: the only other caveat I can think of is the Line Choice. I never went lower than 6 pounds on mine, never needed to although I'm sure you could get down to five and four and still feel fairly comfortable as the tip is very forgiving and just adds to the overall sensitivity for that particular rod and they Destroyer line. I could fe the props working, although subtle and on calm water. I'm sure the sensitivity could have gone up if I went lower line lb, but I always feel like I'm going to whip the bait off because spy baits although there more finesse oriented are fairly heavy in my opinion :-k

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:30 pm

Not sure if this helps anyone but I did use it for my 5/16 Oz Rapala Shad raps and really had fun with that along with my '12 Aldebaran XG. That combo really worked that lighter deeper diving plug very well!! I also had my 09' Aldebaran with ALD0936RR Honeycomb spool by Avail with Air Bearings laced with 10lb Floroclear P-Line, and used it as a DS set up for awhile and secondary with 3/8oz to 5/8oz reactions/treble baits (TW, Jerkbaits extensively, and MED divers). If you get one you won't regret it I'll just say that

BoatBuggy
Angler
Angler

Post by BoatBuggy » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:11 pm

The Duo 90's are 1/2 oz and according to Duo they were developed for use with casting gear. I use 10lb Sunline FC Sniper which is in the lower end of the line diameter range specified by Duo. IMO, it's only finesse in that the line is light and the retrieve is slow. The baits are heavy and cast a mile.

I'm not so much concerned about sensitivity because for the most part the strikes or fouled up lures are are pretty easy to detect. The rod needs to have enough tip to get those teeny tiny hooks to stick when leaning into one and since most of the time it's only the back hook that is attached the rod needs to be very responsive to the surges and leaps. I find the extra-fast tip of the GLX I'm using to be good for getting the hook in but there are times where I wish the rod was a little more parabolic.

I have no idea what Megabass 3 power is like. Can anyone compare it to a Loomis NRX or GLX 2 power?