Rewarpping a manufatured rod with spiral guides

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 2529
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:30 pm

Rewarpping a manufatured rod with spiral guides

Postby goldrod » Wed May 30, 2018 8:58 am

For a rod with an outstanding blank but subpar guides, has anyone stripped the guides off and spiral wrapped the guides with better components? We were discussing having it done.. I know if your willing to pay there is always someone willing to take your money ( a local motorcycle sales conveyed to me, " You've never ridden a motorcycle in your life but you want this 28k motorcycle that is super charged? Sure I'd sale it to you"..)
Catch fish not feelings!!

ShimanoFan
Angler
Angler
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:49 am
Contact:

Re: Rewarpping a manufatured rod with spiral guides

Postby ShimanoFan » Wed May 30, 2018 9:51 am

Yes. Been doing it for nearly 30 years... an interesting process too!

I let physics be my guide and let the materials tell me rather than I force a set of fixed rules on the materials.

The goal of spiral wraps is simple:

1)Eliminate negative rod twisting
2)reduce friction through guide system

Follow those 2 rules and the results speak for themselves...

Here is an image of a rod I did years ago. Today I do them differently with micro guides and moving the stripper guide towards the spiral wrap side a few degrees to straighten out the line flow even more than seen in this photo...

Image

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 749
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:38 am

Re: Rewarpping a manufatured rod with spiral guides

Postby ScoobyDoo » Wed May 30, 2018 11:24 am

I've always wondered the reason to spiral wrap a bass rod? I get it for fish that actually pull for a long time under heavy loads.
Even deep cranking....
Is it worth it over the extra care needed to not bang guides on the opposite side of the blank?

User avatar
Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 5132
Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:20 pm

Re: Rewarpping a manufatured rod with spiral guides

Postby Hogsticker2 » Wed May 30, 2018 2:03 pm

I think if you own a blank you absolutely love, it's absolutely worth it. A seasoned rod builder will make quick work of stripping.

User avatar
Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 5132
Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:20 pm

Re: Rewarpping a manufatured rod with spiral guides

Postby Hogsticker2 » Wed May 30, 2018 2:11 pm

ScoobyDoo wrote:I've always wondered the reason to spiral wrap a bass rod? I get it for fish that actually pull for a long time under heavy loads.
Even deep cranking....
Is it worth it over the extra care needed to not bang guides on the opposite side of the blank?

Size of fish doesn't matter, so long as you're using the appropriate blank for the task at hand. It's even more valuable when you hook into a fat smallie on a light action blank. Under load is under load, and cause the blank to twist. This may sound weird, but I have small hands. I can completely notice a difference in blank twist between spiral and conventional. Even with small reel seats, I can definitely feel more twisting pressure on my wrist when fighting a fish with a conventional rod. And even if none of this were true, from a logical perspective, it just makes sense to have the guides running along the bottom of the blank. Especially the tip and towards the tip. Even if you have never used a spiral wrap, you can picture this in your head, and conclude how the difference would effect the rod, and the experience.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator
Posts: 3670
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:56 pm
Location: Oxford GA

Re: Rewarpping a manufatured rod with spiral guides

Postby hoohoorjoo » Wed May 30, 2018 3:56 pm

I have had a few rods re-wrapped, most recently an older Abu salmon/steelhead rod that I caught my PB on. Only I had the entire rod stripped and rebuilt with modern components. Vinnie just built my first spiral-wrapped rod, an Immortal UL popping blank, with Fuji K Ti/SiC micro-guides, built for BFS with tiny cranks. It will make a great trout rod for larger creeks, too. The blank bends very deep under load, so the spiral-wrap serves 2 purposes-it takes the torsional pressure away so the blank doesn't twist, and it keeps the line off the blank under load. It is loads of fun, even with small fish. I have a tricked-out SS Air on it with 10/2 PP SS8 braid. I still gotta swap the 8:1 gears out with the 6.3:1 gears from my SS SV 103H, but it handled this 3 lb fish with no problem.
Image
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

User avatar
Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 5132
Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:20 pm

Re: Rewarpping a manufatured rod with spiral guides

Postby Hogsticker2 » Wed May 30, 2018 4:11 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:I have had a few rods re-wrapped, most recently an older Abu salmon/steelhead rod that I caught my PB on. Only I had the entire rod stripped and rebuilt with modern components. Vinnie just built my first spiral-wrapped rod, an Immortal UL popping blank, with Fuji K Ti/SiC micro-guides, built for BFS with tiny cranks. It will make a great trout rod for larger creeks, too. The blank bends very deep under load, so the spiral-wrap serves 2 purposes-it takes the torsional pressure away so the blank doesn't twist, and it keeps the line off the blank under load. It is loads of fun, even with small fish. I have a tricked-out SS Air on it with 10/2 PP SS8 braid. I still gotta swap the 8:1 gears out with the 6.3:1 gears from my SS SV 103H, but it handled this 3 lb fish with no problem.
Image

Nice \:D/

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 2529
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:30 pm

Re: Rewarpping a manufatured rod with spiral guides

Postby goldrod » Wed May 30, 2018 8:02 pm

Thanks ALL.
I initially thought it to be crazy but for example I have some great rods with unsanded blanks and if not for the guides I’m sure the price to acquire such a rod would be far reaching. When I considered the rods I had been thinking about, one of the things that stood out to me were the guides. I am not certain of the rank of guide Material but I’m sure that there is some metrics of bad to good and which ones have more versatility.
Catch fish not feelings!!

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 749
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:38 am

Re: Rewarpping a manufatured rod with spiral guides

Postby ScoobyDoo » Wed May 30, 2018 10:01 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
ScoobyDoo wrote:I've always wondered the reason to spiral wrap a bass rod? I get it for fish that actually pull for a long time under heavy loads.
Even deep cranking....
Is it worth it over the extra care needed to not bang guides on the opposite side of the blank?

Size of fish doesn't matter, so long as you're using the appropriate blank for the task at hand. It's even more valuable when you hook into a fat smallie on a light action blank. Under load is under load, and cause the blank to twist. This may sound weird, but I have small hands. I can completely notice a difference in blank twist between spiral and conventional. Even with small reel seats, I can definitely feel more twisting pressure on my wrist when fighting a fish with a conventional rod. And even if none of this were true, from a logical perspective, it just makes sense to have the guides running along the bottom of the blank. Especially the tip and towards the tip. Even if you have never used a spiral wrap, you can picture this in your head, and conclude how the difference would effect the rod, and the experience.


I've owned and fished a few acid wrapped sticks...
With bass gear it's barely noticeable (i have small hands too)
The benefits present themselves with hard pulling fish when you're not clipped in.
I spend about 20% of my time bass fishing...In the NE I can see the benefit for inshore if chasing large stripers and repetitive gator bluefish due to fatigue...I can definitely see the advantage if running for pelagics. Or drag burners down south

But for FW bass....they don't fight. It takes about 10 seconds to break their will.
The fatigue fighting benefits of acid wrapping are real. Sure it will combat the tendency for the rod to want to roll with bass gear....but it's barely noticeable and in my opinion it really doesn't benefit the angler...

I love the concept...and in my experience it's benefits are real....but not for bass fishing with little palmable bass reels. If ya want to have conversations with people about your gear...you'll surely get asked tons of questions...(that could be a positive or a negative)

Then comes the whole bank fishing aspect of bushwhacking with a rod with guides all over the place.....definitely not as easy as a rod with em all down the same side.

User avatar
MardukFIN
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 268
Joined: Fri May 08, 2015 5:05 pm
Location: Finland

Re: Rewarpping a manufatured rod with spiral guides

Postby MardukFIN » Thu May 31, 2018 2:15 am

I wrap almost all my own rods with acid wrap. Benefits from my opinion:

A) It's easier to build when no matter if guides are not aligned perfectly straight.
B) You can use much smaller guides especially in tip part when line could not touch the blank (= better balance)
C) Blank doesnt twist on stress
D) Outlook is 'weird' and fishing mates are asking wtf is that? :lol:

I've done it both ways. 1st stripper straight or ~30-40 degrees to handle side. Reel spools it allways like "normal" guided rod.

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 977
Joined: Sat May 10, 2014 12:24 pm
Location: Donkin, Nova Scotia

Re: Rewarpping a manufatured rod with spiral guides

Postby adam lancia » Thu May 31, 2018 2:52 am

I simple spiraled my OG Helium LTA with macro guides and love how it feels now. It's a Kistler medium fast which means the tip is really light. I use it primarily for flukes and notice a big difference in setting the hook, it's much more direct especially when a fishy bites at the end of a long cast.

User avatar
Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator
Posts: 4594
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:41 am
Location: NE Ohio

Re: Rewarpping a manufatured rod with spiral guides

Postby Tokugawa » Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:24 am

I had a LC Fat Mini Magic wrapped as a left hand spiral. Love it.

I wish more production rods had a spiral wrap. All my customs are spiral wrapped.

User avatar
Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 10783
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:31 pm
Location: TT Headquarters
Contact:

Re: Rewarpping a manufatured rod with spiral guides

Postby Cal » Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:25 am

Tokugawa wrote:I wish more production rods had a spiral wrap.


Here's a new one: https://uribefishing.com/

You don't see more because the rods just don't sell.

I have several MB rods that came from the factory spiral wrapped and love them including:

The F6-610GT3 Shiryu

The F3.5-65GTC Hien

The FX-711X4 Seven Eleven

The F8-78DG Super Destruction

My customs are usually spiral wrapped and I have some original Edge Rods Black Widow series sticks that are spiraled as well. I love them. Zander despises the look :lol: ... but that's partly why they don't sell. It just looks too funky for people to "wrap" their heads around it.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

User avatar
Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator
Posts: 4594
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:41 am
Location: NE Ohio

Re: Rewarpping a manufatured rod with spiral guides

Postby Tokugawa » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:14 am

Cal wrote:
Tokugawa wrote:I wish more production rods had a spiral wrap.


Here's a new one: https://uribefishing.com/

You don't see more because the rods just don't sell.

I have several MB rods that came from the factory spiral wrapped and love them including:

The F6-610GT3 Shiryu

The F3.5-65GTC Hien

The FX-711X4 Seven Eleven

The F8-78DG Super Destruction

My customs are usually spiral wrapped and I have some original Edge Rods Black Widow series sticks that are spiraled as well. I love them. Zander despises the look :lol: ... but that's partly why they don't sell. It just looks too funky for people to "wrap" their heads around it.


I have the X4 711 and it gets a lot of work. I chose it over the black Python because of the spiral wrap. :big grin: If I could only find a Super Destruction...it is on the short list. =P~

User avatar
Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 10783
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:31 pm
Location: TT Headquarters
Contact:

Re: Rewarpping a manufatured rod with spiral guides

Postby Cal » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:23 am

Tokugawa wrote: If I could only find a Super Destruction...it is on the short list. =P~


I had two.... but the slant bridge broke on one of them during a cast :(
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"


Return to “Rods”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests