Steez xt frog rod?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Jason Penn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Steez xt frog rod?

Post by Jason Penn » Wed May 30, 2018 7:59 am

Anybody using this rod? Does it perform ok with bottom contact baits?

cumara
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Steez xt frog rod?

Post by cumara » Thu May 31, 2018 2:17 pm

I've used it extensively for frogs and have been very happy with it. On a few occasions I fished a jig with it, and it did perform well.

Jason Penn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jason Penn » Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:56 am

Thanks for the reply. I got the rod in yesterday, but I haven't fished it yet. I was very surprised how well it balanced with a Tat SV.

cumara
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cumara » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:14 am

Yes, it's not a very light rod if you put it on a scale, but well balanced like you said. I don't really find it to be tip heavy even with a Metanium XG.

Baik
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Baik » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:42 pm

I have mine paired with a Zillion SV and it balances nicely as well. Love the rod for jigs as well but it mostly doubles as my punching rod, alot easier and more accurate to punch with all day than the more traditional 7'6" - 8' rods.

Jason Penn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jason Penn » Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:20 pm

I got to get on the water for a couple hours this morning. Although I didn't get a bite, I got to get feel for the rod along with the 7'1 H XT. I really feel like the 7'4 will probably work well for football jigs & c-rigs. Those are things that I don't do often, and I rarely fish a frog, so it's nice to have 1 rod that can cover bases.

I loved the 7'1 comp-x I used to have, and the XT felt like home. These rods may not be sensitive enough for some, but I really have no complaints about them. It may be the honeymoon phase, but I think the XT balances better than the Harrier I had did.

I'm pleased with purchase of both of these rods. I have bought things over the past couple of years that really didn't live up to my expectations. I'm planning for the 7' MH XT now.

C_diesel2
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by C_diesel2 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:25 pm

You can use it for bottom bait in a pinch, but I prefer to use it for what it was made for ...frogs...best frog rod on the market imo

Jason Penn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jason Penn » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:17 am

A frog is not something i fish at all. There is 1 lake inmy area that is covered in pads, i may try my hand at it there.

FishNrace
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Location: Canada - Fishing my life away any chance i get.....

Post by FishNrace » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:03 pm

My local daiwa warranty center in Toronto told me the Steez XT is discontinued... I just snapped a MH XT, but now have to wait on what daiwa comes out with :(