Debating between a couple frog rods

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Matt_3479
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Debating between a couple frog rods

Post by Matt_3479 » Tue May 29, 2018 7:13 pm

Looking at the possibility of grabbing a new frog rod and have been shopping around going store to store. I think I’ve narrowed it down to a few different rods. Looking at the st. Croix lbt slop-n-frog rod, Shimano Zodias 7’2” heavy, or if I can find one locally a 13 fishing envy black 7’3” heavy. Any thoughts

jasonsadowsky
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Re: Debating between a couple frog rods

Post by jasonsadowsky » Thu May 31, 2018 2:22 pm

I currently use a Favorite Rods USA, Sick stick 7ft4 heavy for my frogging. Love it!!
I also tried out my 6ft7 13 fishing Fate Black II for frogging, its medium powered so no wheres near as purpose built for frogs as the Sick Stick.

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Thu May 31, 2018 3:35 pm

All good rods I'm sure. I used to own the original Mojo Slop n Frog and hated it. What a broomstick! I don't know if the LTB is the same or not, I know it is a better blank. Probably a bad ass football jig rod. My father in law swears by the 13 rods. He owns Omen's and Envy's. Black and Green. After watching me in a few tournaments, he now owns an Irod Genesis 2. I would be weary of traditional Heavy actions for frogs. The are great for massive amounts of power, but I personally like a rod that has a moderate fast type of action in the blank to fight the fish. I feel I can keep fish buttoned from the hook set to the boat and am confident in saying that I have a 95%+ hookup/landing rate. I am biased and really like the Irod Air 754. I used to believe the Genesis 2 was "the stick" until I got my hands on an Air.

Good luck with your search!

jpmoney
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jpmoney » Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:43 am

Another stick to consider is the Shimano expride 173XH. For the price this rod is fantastic and a top notch frog stick. In the expride series this particular model stands out.

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:56 pm

bought a Kistler H3 7'3h for this duty but rod is so good for pitching never go around to frogging. Did work a frog with it and it is excellent. Rod has super power in the butt and I'd pick that up if I get into a situation where I think a frog is the ticket.

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:27 pm

Zodias 7'5H for me..love it

Matt_3479
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Matt_3479 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:59 am

Well I’ve definately taken the st. Croix legend tournament bass out of the running. It feels way tip heavy. The Zodias felt like a much better balanced rod, lighter rod. Between the Zodias and the loomis imx pro twfr. Not sure between a 7’2” or 7’5” heavy Zodias.

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:28 am

Another option is the Dobyns 735 Savvy. It is a great frog rod that seems to check all the boxes.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:57 am

XBD and be done with it..
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Matt_3479
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Matt_3479 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:06 pm

Hard to find Dobyns Rods around me and the Steez Rods are a little above price range

Randingo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Randingo » Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:11 pm

Since nobody seems to be commenting on anything other than the St. Croix, I’ll throw in another possibility. Take a look at the Tatula elite Ish Monroe frog rod. It’s certainly within your budget, and it has a lot going for it. I have a friend who fishes the zodias rods, and I think they are quite nice. I don’t know what else to recommend.

Matt_3479
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Matt_3479 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:09 pm

Randingo wrote:Since nobody seems to be commenting on anything other than the St. Croix, I’ll throw in another possibility. Take a look at the Tatula elite Ish Monroe frog rod. It’s certainly within your budget, and it has a lot going for it. I have a friend who fishes the zodias rods, and I think they are quite nice. I don’t know what else to recommend.
I’m going to try and run out and take a look at the loomis imx pro 884 this week or Saturday, hopefully they have a Zodias there I can compare side by side. I was playing with a tatula xt yesterday as well and that’s a damn nice rod for the money!! I was hoping they had the frog rod there but they only had the 7’3” heavy but still heck of a rod!!