Phenix Feather

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
LAGVPI99
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Phenix Feather

Post by LAGVPI99 » Wed May 23, 2018 10:31 am

I have a 7'7" H. What reel are folks using on these? I tried my Tat SV and I cannot use that reel frame on that reel seat - it digs into my 'trigger finger' when I'm casting. I like the rod and want to keep it but I need to figure out what to put on there...I may throw a Lews Hyper Mag on it this weekend just to see how it feels.

i_am_R2
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Phenix Feather

Post by i_am_R2 » Wed May 23, 2018 1:22 pm

I have an Alphas SV on my 6'9" MH and it feels great. It might be too light light for that rod but tried a Curado 70 also and it fit but wasn't as comfortable to me (felt it sat too far back on the seat). Hope this helps.

kstephes033
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by kstephes033 » Thu May 24, 2018 10:24 am

I use lew’s lite, hypermag, or custom pros on all of m feathers, they all seem to fit well. That was the problem for me as well with the ct’s I had, just didn’t feel right on the rods.

LAGVPI99
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by LAGVPI99 » Thu May 24, 2018 11:24 am

kstephes033 wrote:I use lew’s lite, hypermag, or custom pros on all of m feathers, they all seem to fit well. That was the problem for me as well with the ct’s I had, just didn’t feel right on the rods.
What are your overall thoughts of the HyperMag compared to the CT Type-R? I have an SV but I have a feeling the HM will not come close to that reel.

Thanks for the help!

kstephes033
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by kstephes033 » Thu May 24, 2018 3:37 pm

Personally I really like all of my lew’s. I feel as if casting distance and control is great on them. I can skip without issue with really any of my lew’s, but I don’t have anything under the team lite so not sure how the less spendy versions are. Compared to the tat ct r I personally like the lew’s better actually. I will say that I have a little bit of a bad taste in my mouth from having a good handful of Tatulas (ct, ctr, sv, and regular type r) and Fuego CT’s gears go out on me without even a full year of fishing them. I will say casting wise I don’t have any issues casting as far as I did with the tatulas from what I can notice. Only thing is the tat sv was just so easy to cast and not pay attention to it especially into the wind is the only thing I can think of that I may miss.