FMJ Vs PIII Bearing down

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
hungry_cow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

FMJ Vs PIII Bearing down

Post by hungry_cow » Wed May 23, 2018 8:18 am

How does the Destroyer USA FMJ compare and contrast to the Phase III Bearing down as a jig/worm rod?

Had the PIII bearing down and loved its feather weight for the power, and superb sensitivity but it was a bit short and didn't have quite the tip I like for roll casting and skipping. Wondering if the FMJ would be similar but fix those issues.

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: FMJ Vs PIII Bearing down

Post by Obz » Mon May 28, 2018 8:54 am

The FMJ is pretty stout. Haven't used the BD.

rhak40
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by rhak40 » Mon May 28, 2018 6:07 pm

I love the PIII and am also considering the FMJ as a 2nd t-rig rod. Following for response. If I pick one up next week I will update.

Bass1980
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bass1980 » Tue May 29, 2018 9:48 am

I have both and yes the FMJ has a softer tip to work lures. Even though it is 1 power stronger the tip is more forgiving. I was never a fan of the P3BD. I just felt it was a stiff rod with no tip action. I did like the weight of the rod but didnt like a few things and sold it.

Too bad the phase 3 super destroyer is short at 6'9. That rod I just used twice and it jumped right up to my top 5 favorite MB rods I've used and I've used about 30 of them. I use this rod to skip jigs under socks. I wish the BD taper was like the SD.

hungry_cow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by hungry_cow » Tue May 29, 2018 10:53 am

My all time favorite taper is by far the PIII Nautilus, gets great distance with ease and I have more pinpoint accuracy with it than any other rod weather pitching, roll casting, or skipping. Its only issue is while its low sitting skeletal reel seat is very comfy with my bigger hands sometimes i lose my grip a bit when trying to jack a hookset with a jig or worm and have lost some big bass because of this. The Destroyer USA line fits my hands better for when I want hard hookset.

Yea the PIII Bearing down was a bit too stiff in the tip for roll casting and skipping and a bit shorter than I like. Does the FMJ have a soft enough tip for roll casting and skipping 3/8 and 1/2 oz jigs?

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Tue May 29, 2018 11:37 am

Your all-time favorite tapers the Nautilus then it sounds like the javelin maybe the one you're looking for in my humble opinion of course

hungry_cow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by hungry_cow » Tue May 29, 2018 12:11 pm

I also have the Javelin, also a very nice rod and very similar to the Nautilus. But the taper is a little different. The Javelin has a slightly softer tip getting into a slightly heavier backbone a little faster allowing it to better cast ligher baits and non-aerodynamic baits a little easier and with more precision. The Javelin has a slightly stiffer tip but gets into the backbone further down the rod with a slightly more parobolic action making it a little better for moving baits.

Bass1980
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bass1980 » Wed May 30, 2018 9:37 pm

Just tested my FMJ today quickly on shore. Yes the tip is soft enough for roll cast and skipping. It's a really nice power rod.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Thu May 31, 2018 6:12 pm

hungry_cow wrote:How does the Destroyer USA FMJ compare and contrast to the Phase III Bearing down as a jig/worm rod?

Had the PIII bearing down and loved its feather weight for the power, and superb sensitivity but it was a bit short and didn't have quite the tip I like for roll casting and skipping. Wondering if the FMJ would be similar but fix those issues.
Short answer, yes. The FMJ has more power than the PIII BD, but the PIII BD is a short game machine with a single hook jig or plastic. Incredibly light, sensitive, and an absolute joy to pitch close quarters with. The FMJ, while more powerful, has superb sensitivity, but is more forgiving in the tip section allowing a bit more versatility when roll casting or skipping. The FMJ is not only a great heavier cover pitching rod, but works extremely well for skipping hollow body frogs and single hook baits up under docks and over hangs. I've had mine paired with a few different Daiwa SV reels from the Tatula to the Steez and have been extremely happy with them all.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

TheBassinPanda
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by TheBassinPanda » Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:32 am

bronzefly wrote:
hungry_cow wrote:How does the Destroyer USA FMJ compare and contrast to the Phase III Bearing down as a jig/worm rod?

Short answer, yes. The FMJ has more power than the PIII BD, but the PIII BD is a short game machine with a single hook jig or plastic. Incredibly light, sensitive, and an absolute joy to pitch close quarters with. The FMJ, while more powerful, has superb sensitivity, but is more forgiving in the tip section allowing a bit more versatility when roll casting or skipping. The FMJ is not only a great heavier cover pitching rod, but works extremely well for skipping hollow body frogs and single hook baits up under docks and over hangs. I've had mine paired with a few different Daiwa SV reels from the Tatula to the Steez and have been extremely happy with them all.

Sorry to go a bit off topic but I wanted to ask you, just how different is the new 2018 Orochi XX Perfect Pitch vs the FMJ? Am I wrong to assume the new Orochi XX PP is similar to the FMJ in terms of function?

I currently have a FMJ and absolutely love the rod. Was thinking of purchasing a 2018 Orochi XX Perfect Pitch but not sure if I need it since I have a FMJ, which I use to pitch jigs and creature baits into tulles and brush.