Older GLX question

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Older GLX question

Post by Big-Bass » Thu May 10, 2018 8:42 am

I have a few older Loomis rods that have not seen time in quite a while. When looking at one of the GLX rods that is essentially brand new with the older Wiebe reel seat, I noticed that one of the guides doesn't look to be SiC. Never noticed this before and the rod was purchased brand new. There is not indication that it was ever a demo, etc. and the wraps/epoxy are all factory. It is essentially brand new circa 1999-2001. Could Loomis have made this error in production or was/is it supposed to be like that? It looks like the guide insert is Hardloy or maybe Alconite but the frame color is also slightly different. It is the second guide up from the bottom of the rod. Weird. Thanks for any/all help and best wishes on the water!

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Older GLX question

Post by DavidSA » Thu May 10, 2018 3:57 pm

you are taking me far back to my first glx. I don't think they were SiC. I broke the tip on mine and had it replaced. The replacement had new guides and no Weibe grip. The balance of the rod improved and I assume that means the older guides were heavier then the SICs