Levante Spinnerbait Special, Super Orochi XXX?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Poisson
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Levante Spinnerbait Special, Super Orochi XXX?

Post by Poisson » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:42 am

Right now I'm using a Dobyns Fury 663C for fishing close quarters with spinnerbaits and buzzbaits (3/8 oz max). For such an inexpensive rod I've been really happy with it, but I'm looking for an upgrade - something just a little heavier but still under 7'. The new XX lineup doesn't include the Spinnerbait Special, and now I'm sad that I didn't jump on the 1st gen when they were heavily discounted... if I buy a Levante Spinnerbait Special, will the pain go away?
Last edited by Poisson on Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rippin-lips
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Levante Spinnerbait Special

Post by Rippin-lips » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:09 am

The 1st gen spinnerbait special is one of my go to rods. I like it so much that I bought a second when they went on sale. It balances well and makes a good multi purpose rod for a handful of different things. I would keep an eye out for one being sold used. eBay will often have them come up for sale. You get a lot of bang for your buck with the xx series. For what the Levante would cost new I personally would hope to find an xx used.

Poisson
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Levante Spinnerbait Special, Super Orochi XXX?

Post by Poisson » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:48 pm

Rippin-lips wrote:The 1st gen spinnerbait special is one of my go to rods. I like it so much that I bought a second when they went on sale. It balances well and makes a good multi purpose rod for a handful of different things. I would keep an eye out for one being sold used. eBay will often have them come up for sale. You get a lot of bang for your buck with the xx series. For what the Levante would cost new I personally would hope to find an xx used.
Thanks for the feedback - I was sort of expecting this kind of response given the reputation of the first gen XX rods. I'll start keeping an eye on eBay.

The Super Orochi XXX also looks intriguing. Any opinions on the Super Orochi (primarily for single hook moving baits)?

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:50 pm

Poisson wrote:
Thanks for the feedback - I was sort of expecting this kind of response given the reputation of the first gen XX rods. I'll start keeping an eye on eBay.

The Super Orochi XXX also looks intriguing. Any opinions on the Super Orochi (primarily for single hook moving baits)?
I'd keep an eye on The Tackle Trap website as far as 1st Generation XX rods go... might be a nice surprise soon, don't ask for details guys, just keep a watch 8-)

The Super Orochi XXX is an absolutely awesome rod for spinner baits, chatter baits, throws a Vixen/Spook type bait beautifully, handle square bills like a champ... I love that rod. We'll have more back in stock pretty soon!
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:19 pm

bronzefly wrote: I'd keep an eye on The Tackle Trap website as far as 1st Generation XX rods go... might be a nice surprise soon, don't ask for details guys, just keep a watch 8-)
Great, now I get to run my phone battery down F5ing the browser all day.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:22 pm

Houndfish wrote:
bronzefly wrote: I'd keep an eye on The Tackle Trap website as far as 1st Generation XX rods go... might be a nice surprise soon, don't ask for details guys, just keep a watch 8-)
Great, now I get to run my phone battery down F5ing the browser all day.
Public Service Announcement - save your battery from refreshing until early next week. Just trying to help :lol:
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:16 pm

Hah, honestly I don't even know what old XX rod I would even buy, maybe a Flat Side Special?

Poisson
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Poisson » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:15 pm

bronzefly wrote:
Poisson wrote:

I'd keep an eye on The Tackle Trap website as far as 1st Generation XX rods go... might be a nice surprise soon, don't ask for details guys, just keep a watch 8-)

The Super Orochi XXX is an absolutely awesome rod for spinner baits, chatter baits, throws a Vixen/Spook type bait beautifully, handle square bills like a champ... I love that rod. We'll have more back in stock pretty soon!
Awesome, thank you for the heads up!

Poisson
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Poisson » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:44 pm

Woohoo! Just ordered an XX SBS from the Tackle Trap! \:D/

Kschultz76
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Kschultz76 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:52 pm

Great score, love that rod for square bills! At that price it’s a killer deal. Now can I justify adding the Ronin to my already full rod rack?

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:57 am

Thanks guys! The last of the last original 1st Generation XX rods are up...
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

MediumHeavy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MediumHeavy » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:37 pm

Dang, too bad This didn’t happen sooner! I’d have picked up an SBS instead! :lol: