Frog rod

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Matt_3479
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Frog rod

Post by Matt_3479 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:05 pm

So I have pretty much blown my budget for now on new fishing rods and reels. I have 1 more reel to grab and then I’m on hold for a bit. I don’t have a frogging rod to use and budget won’t allow me to get a new one. I have two rods I was wondering if you would think they could work for now. First is a Dobyns sierra 734c and the second is a Daiwa zillion 7’2” medium-heavy regular. Technically the Daiwa is a cranking rod but it’s super fast. More of an inbetween fast and extra fast. Almost like the rod was mislabeled. And it feels much more like an inbetween a heavy and medium heavy. It feels more stiff then the 734C but not as heavy as my flipping stick.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Frog rod

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:09 pm

Just try it out. I once used a 7' medium moderate Carrot Stix rod and it worked.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:29 pm

Could always do a Orochi XX Tour Versatile. That's what I'm using. The Tackle Trap got them on sale.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Matt_3479
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Matt_3479 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:43 pm

ccass wrote:Could always do a Orochi XX Tour Versatile. That's what I'm using. The Tackle Trap got them on sale.
Like I said I have blown my budget. And I still need atleast 1 possibly 2 more reels so I doubt it could get a tour versatile. That being said there is a guy local selling a used one and I might take a look at one just to see what there about.

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:46 pm

That daiwa sounds like it should work. It also depends a lot on where you're fishing. Where are you located?
Guys in say the northeast don't need the same caliber frog rod that say someone fishing on the California delta does. And delta fishermen aren't going to need as much rod as a frog fishermen in say Florida, Louisiana or a guy fishing guntersville.

If you aren't dragging hawgs through a football field's worth of mats & lillypads, any ol' 7ft-ish mh fast- heavy fast rod should do okay. I use a mb x4 destruction(7'2 heavy mod-fast) here in Georgia and I've never felt like I didn't have enough rod.
Use a good frog & make sure those hooks are at a good upturned angle, razor sharp, use beefy braid, a fast gear ratio, slam that hookset on a '1 Mis' count and you should be good.

spencerinstl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spencerinstl » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:17 pm

Since you already have a Dobyns Sierra 734C and on a budget, why not get a 735C as a frog rod?
Thanks for the epiphany captain obvious

Matt_3479
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Matt_3479 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:41 pm

spookybaits wrote:That daiwa sounds like it should work. It also depends a lot on where you're fishing. Where are you located?
Guys in say the northeast don't need the same caliber frog rod that say someone fishing on the California delta does. And delta fishermen aren't going to need as much rod as a frog fishermen in say Florida, Louisiana or a guy fishing guntersville.

If you aren't dragging hawgs through a football field's worth of mats & lillypads, any ol' 7ft-ish mh fast- heavy fast rod should do okay. I use a mb x4 destruction(7'2 heavy mod-fast) here in Georgia and I've never felt like I didn't have enough rod.
Use a good frog & make sure those hooks are at a good upturned angle, razor sharp, use beefy braid, a fast gear ratio, slam that hookset on a '1 Mis' count and you should be good.
Well nobody has said much about the 734 for frogs so I think I’ll probably try the Daiwa first. I fish southern Ontario mainly, so nothing super thick as far as mats go, and roughly 6lbs is the biggest we have pulled out.
spencerinstl wrote:Since you already have a Dobyns Sierra 734C and on a budget, why not get a 735C as a frog rod?
Like I said I’m trying to find what rod I currently own to use or double down as a frog rod. I blew my budget already and still require 2 more reels. Since last October I have grabbed 2 new spinning rods and reels, 5 baitcaster sand 3 reels for them. So I’m a little over budget

spencerinstl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spencerinstl » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:48 pm

The 734 will work if needed, just prefer my champion 735C for frogs. I think your going to get a better hookset with the 735c. I use my champion 734C for paddletails and works well for that and fish it in a lake that has a lot of millfoil after it warms up. Wouldn't want to pull a big fish with a big wad of weeds out of the water with it, but can pull the fish to the boat and get the fish out of the big wad of weeds.

Matt_3479
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Matt_3479 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:58 pm

spencerinstl wrote:The 734 will work if needed, just prefer my champion 735C for frogs. I use my champion 734C for paddletails and works well for that and fish it in a lake that has a lot of millfoil after it warms up. Wouldn't want to pull a big fish with a big wad of weeds out of the water with it, but can pull the fish to the boat and get the fish out of the big wad of weeds.
Thank you! I don’t always believe in trying to use a rod for something that isn’t its intended purpose but my budget was roughly 1000-1500 and I easily tripped it. So once I get the last two reels I won’t be able to get another combo. I might sell one of the two, either Daiwa or dobyns to get a dedicated rod but for now I have to try and use one of them. Like I said, most of the areas I fish are fairly open and not overly thick. Your 734C is used for paddlertails, any thing else you like to use it for. Like I mentioned, I’m unsure on what I wanted to use this rod for?

spencerinstl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spencerinstl » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:11 pm

Matt_3479 wrote:
spencerinstl wrote:The 734 will work if needed, just prefer my champion 735C for frogs. I use my champion 734C for paddletails and works well for that and fish it in a lake that has a lot of millfoil after it warms up. Wouldn't want to pull a big fish with a big wad of weeds out of the water with it, but can pull the fish to the boat and get the fish out of the big wad of weeds.
Thank you! I don’t always believe in trying to use a rod for something that isn’t its intended purpose but my budget was roughly 1000-1500 and I easily tripped it. So once I get the last two reels I won’t be able to get another combo. I might sell one of the two, either Daiwa or dobyns to get a dedicated rod but for now I have to try and use one of them. Like I said, most of the areas I fish are fairly open and not overly thick. Your 734C is used for paddlertails, any thing else you like to use it for. Like I mentioned, I’m unsure on what I wanted to use this rod for?
I have used this rod for chatterbaits. Here is what Gary Dobyns said about the 734C Champion.

"I originally made this rod for throwing Super Spooks and It's still best I’ve ever used. But, the 734C is the most versatile rod in our entire line. Great for Carolina Rigs, small swim baits, spinner baits, buzz baits, my favorite trap rod in the grass, and many more techniques. It works good for jigs and Texas rigged worms too. We have better overall jig rod, but when you’re wanting a rod that does a little of everything or wanting to keep rod numbers down, it'll fish jigs fine. This is the “extra” rod I always carry when in tournaments because I can do so much with it. Same blank in the 734C Full Handle and it just depends on whether you like split or full handle."

Matt_3479
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Matt_3479 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:23 pm

spencerinstl wrote:
Matt_3479 wrote:
I have used this rod for chatterbaits. Here is what Gary Dobyns said about the 734C Champion.

"I originally made this rod for throwing Super Spooks and It's still best I’ve ever used. But, the 734C is the most versatile rod in our entire line. Great for Carolina Rigs, small swim baits, spinner baits, buzz baits, my favorite trap rod in the grass, and many more techniques. It works good for jigs and Texas rigged worms too. We have better overall jig rod, but when you’re wanting a rod that does a little of everything or wanting to keep rod numbers down, it'll fish jigs fine. This is the “extra” rod I always carry when in tournaments because I can do so much with it. Same blank in the 734C Full Handle and it just depends on whether you like split or full handle."
Thank you, I oringslly got the 734 for jigs but then got a great deal on a Kistler Helium which I was told would make a better lighter-medium weight jig and bottom contact baits due to the addition sensitivity. So my plan afterwords was going to be small swimbaits, Paddletails on a jighead or just on a hook, Chatterbait, spinnerbaits. Currently have a 6.3:1 tatula on it I might move on to something else, and drop a 7.1:1 on it instead. Figured it might be better for Chatterbait and swimbaits. I might do that and try the Daiwa for frogs