Rod for Bantam (MH)

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Rod for Bantam (MH)

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:40 pm

So I got a decent raise at work, along with a few other job opportunities and just slightly better financial standing, so I figure I would use my change, fishing fund, etc. for a new reel... Probably going to try out the Bantam MGL XG, as soon as a better deal is available, even if not, I will probably buy another 8 speed reel (Tatula SV cheapest, or another Chronarch MGL as a mid tier option).

My go to rods are 7' Medium's, so I need a go to just a tad stronger. Will probably throw 1/2 and under jigs, TX rigs, lighter Carolina Rigs, medium swimbaits (4.8's), basically just an all purpose MH.

Been looking at:

Curado 7'2"MH ($160), just don't know the feel of these, specs are right on for what I need.

Zodias 7'2"MH price I can get a little lower, just rated for slightly heavier lures, also never felt the action.

Lew's LFS X-5 7'MH or 7'3"MH price I can get lower, already own a cheaper Custom in the Magnum Hammer action, it's not much more than a Medium though and only rated 1/4-5/8, the 7'MH is actually much stiffer, maybe too much.

Dobyn's Sierra 7'MH or 7'3"MH specs are right, have felt these before, just never owned one.

Any other suggestions in the $150-200 range are appreciated or any personal experience with these would be awesome. I really like Lew's warranty, but the actions aren't perfect and guides/seats aren't as quality as the others. Kind of want to try a new brand...

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Rod for Bantam (MH)

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:03 pm

Check out either the original Tatula line or the Elite line. Great rods for the money.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:14 pm

ccass wrote:Check out either the original Tatula line or the Elite line. Great rods for the money.
This. Look around and you might even score a Zillion.
This is the way.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:21 pm

poisonokie wrote:
ccass wrote:Check out either the original Tatula line or the Elite line. Great rods for the money.
Yea I heard the Zillion rods can be found cheap. Do most all of these hold up and have fair warranties? I have yet to send off my higher end rods, and the few issues I have had Abu was AMAZING to replace them quick.

As far as the Tatula rods go I should have mentioned them too. I've viewed them a time or 2 but just forgot to include them on my list. The first one that caught my eye was the 7'3"MH Ehrler. The 1/4-1oz scared me a bit, I thought being able to handle 1oz would make it a tad stiff... I know it's not a good comparison but a Veritas I had was rated exactly the same and was a little "strong" for my taste. Zillion rods are rated the same, at that higher price, what's better/worse about them?

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:44 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
poisonokie wrote:
Yea I heard the Zillion rods can be found cheap. Do most all of these hold up and have fair warranties? I have yet to send off my higher end rods, and the few issues I have had Abu was AMAZING to replace them quick.

As far as the Tatula rods go I should have mentioned them too. I've viewed them a time or 2 but just forgot to include them on my list. The first one that caught my eye was the 7'3"MH Ehrler. The 1/4-1oz scared me a bit, I thought being able to handle 1oz would make it a tad stiff... I know it's not a good comparison but a Veritas I had was rated exactly the same and was a little "strong" for my taste. Zillion rods are rated the same, at that higher price, what's better/worse about them?
I've had good experiences with Daiwa. Warrantied a couple of rods through them. Quick and pain free. The OG Tatula rods are sick.

Abu rods are generally stiffer than their rating say, kinda like St Croix. Not a bad thing, just something to keep in mind.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:15 pm

ccass wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:
poisonokie wrote:

I've had good experiences with Daiwa. Warrantied a couple of rods through them. Quick and pain free. The OG Tatula rods are sick.

Abu rods are generally stiffer than their rating say, kinda like St Croix. Not a bad thing, just something to keep in mind.
I knew Abu's ran a little stiff, what you said is about spot on though, my Avid X medium and Villain2.0 medium are both rated identical and feel so similar. The newer ones are a little more true to rating, but the older Abu's were awful stiff. After looking into Daiwa rods heavy for about the last hour, it will probably be between the Curado 7'2"MH and the Tatula Elite 7'3"MH. Like the cork and reel seat on the Curado, but I think the Daiwa warranty might be better.

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:29 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:Curado 7'2"MH ($160), just don't know the feel of these, specs are right on for what I need.

Zodias 7'2"MH price I can get a little lower, just rated for slightly heavier lures, also never felt the action.
I've fished most of the Zodias rods, have only wiggled the Curados at the store...but FWIW, the Curado 7'2 mh felt significantly clunkier and more tip-heavy than the 72mh Zodias.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:14 pm

reason162 wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:Curado 7'2"MH ($160), just don't know the feel of these, specs are right on for what I need.

I've fished most of the Zodias rods, have only wiggled the Curados at the store...but FWIW, the Curado 7'2 mh felt significantly clunkier and more tip-heavy than the 72mh Zodias.
Might be okay with a heavier reel like the Bantam then... Or I could put my Chronarch on a Zodias... Now they've got me really liking the Tatula Elite rods...

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:59 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:Might be okay with a heavier reel like the Bantam then... Or I could put my Chronarch on a Zodias... Now they've got me really liking the Tatula Elite rods...
That'd be a pretty heavy combo (bantam + curado).

Personally, I'd reverse your setup: go higher end on the rod, mid-tier for the reel. Having experimented last year with MB and Exprides...that's how I would select my combos going forward. You gain so much more with a better rod than a better reel...at least for freshwater bass fishing imo, esp bottom contact. I have very little incentive to upgrade from my mid-tier baitcasters (tats, K, CU70 etc), but I'm always looking for lighter, crisper, more sensitive rods.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:33 am

What about an actual Bantam rod??

Hulkster
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Hulkster » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:45 am

im going to throw this out there, so take it for what its worth.

I recently got the E6X MBR 903c and love the action/taper on the rod as its the MBR taper but at 7'6 length.

its awesome.

some don't like the E6X but I love the 7'6 MBR. it absolutely launches baits.

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:46 am

Tackletrap still has the megabass xx tour versatile in stock, on clearance for $199...

Could also keep an eye on the classifieds or make a post asking for a specific rod(emtf might fit your criteria better?). With the new models coming out soon, I'm sure a few folks will be unloading their older models
Last edited by spookybaits on Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:49 am

spookybaits wrote:Tackletrap still has the megabass xx tour versatile in stock, on clearance for $199...
Yup. I picked one up on sale. Pretty nice rod. Its got a lot of backbone and a nice tip. I think it wouldn't be ideal for the lighter jigs you want like 1/4oz but, could work.

I plan on having it to throw frogs, bigger single hook moving baits, 1/2oz plus jigs...mainly used as an all around MH/H.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:38 am

ccass wrote:
spookybaits wrote:Tackletrap still has the megabass xx tour versatile in stock, on clearance for $199...
Yup. I picked one up on sale. Pretty nice rod. Its got a lot of backbone and a nice tip. I think it wouldn't be ideal for the lighter jigs you want like 1/4oz but, could work.

I plan on having it to throw frogs, bigger single hook moving baits, 1/2oz plus jigs...mainly used as an all around MH/H.
I have a TV and really like it alot. I use it pretty much exclusively for single hook moving baits, mostly paddletails in the 5-6" range. But I like it for anything with a big hook that doesn't sit still. I don't find that it casts or pitches especially well, but for the lures I use it for I am generally either lobbing them out or it's something like a spinnerbait or large chatterbait that casts poorly to begin with. It is a very powerful feeling rod, I have a Hyuga 72H that I picked up for swimbaits/big topwaters/glides and at first I was worried that it was less powerful than the TV. After fishing them both side by side I think that the 72H, once it hits the backbone, has more power, but for the cover I fish I don't think I will ever need more than the TV can provide.

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:44 am

I would look at the Fantasista Regista from sierra trading post, or the Orochi XX from Tackle Trap. If you can get a $300-$500 rod for $199, you'll be getting more for your money. A lot of places have the Megabass Levante on sale as well. That's a good rod, especially at a sale price. I have a Curado rod and it's super comfortable to fish with, but there's absolutely nothing special about the blank. The Elites (without ags) are in the same boat. I would definitely look for sales and used deals before making any purchases.