Looking for a low cost ML casting rod

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
nikbrewer
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Looking for a low cost ML casting rod

Post by nikbrewer » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:36 am

I do a lot of creek fishing and mainly use my Kuying Teton L casting rod. However, i am finding sometimes i wish i had a bit more backbone. I am looking for a rod that is one step up from this in stiffness, while still being cheap.

On Aliexpress i thee they show a Abu Vengeance 2 piece ML casting rod. Seems it may be a good fit but cant find any info on the rod.

Any other recommendations for sub 100$ ML casting rods?

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Looking for a low cost ML casting rod

Post by LowRange » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:40 am

Kuying Topcaster ML for starters. The problem is that the Teton L is a trout rod and more or less an UL rod despite the L rating. A Light powerd BFS rod like a Volkey 68L would be a nice one step up on power but are not going to be had for $100 even used. You might be able to track down a new or used 2 pc Majorcraft Corzza L for your price. I think the Topcaster is your plan B and will come in under budget but will be more than just one step up in power over the Teton.

There is a series of Kuying rods, the Conqueror, that are their version of the Volkey line and include BFS tapers for $138. Check out the CQ65L/BF. They're 1 pc so I don't know what they cost to ship and if the tube they use would survive the journey.

kunia13
Angler
Angler

Post by kunia13 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:07 am

There's also Shimano Zodias 164 or 168 BFS, 2 piece.

Warhawk
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Warhawk » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:48 pm

I ordered a Kuying Teton through Ali-Baba. It arrived today, looks great unfortunately it broke before I could make a single cast.

Mounted a reel and a 1/16 Oz roadrunner. On the back cast the rod broke about 8 inches forward of the ferrule joint.

I opened a “dispute” with Ali-baba, we will see how this goes.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:00 pm

Warhawk wrote:I ordered a Kuying Teton through Ali-Baba. It arrived today, looks great unfortunately it broke before I could make a single cast.

Mounted a reel and a 1/16 Oz roadrunner. On the back cast the rod broke about 8 inches forward of the ferrule joint.

I opened a “dispute” with Ali-baba, we will see how this goes.
Did the tip section break or did the back half of the rod break? If it is the tip section you might be able to get the seller to send another tip. I know they can be purchased individually so I would imagine the seller would send another as a replacement. Was the rod bought from the Kuying store on Aliexpress?

Warhawk
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Warhawk » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:56 pm

Tip section broke, i just got an email from them.

I suppose I’ll pay the $18 for a new tip, but I don’t much like being called a liar.
Lincoln xu: Dear friend.
good night.
thanks for your patient waiting.Also we are sorry about that.
Let me explain all as below :
We are sure there are 100% no any defect before sending out the parcel, Also we have 2 teams to check pack and deliver every day for hundreds of orders.
we could be responsible for the damaged during transporting.
Please forgive my rudeness there is no any proof to prove it defected because it was good when delivered. For example, we cannot blame the car supplier when the driver has the car accident, correct?

However, in order to cooperate with you for long time, we'd like to offer you a new rod tip of it as long as you pay the freight 18USD for it.

thank you for all understanding and support.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:13 pm

I've been SOL on imported 2pc rods with a broken tip before. At least with these rods you can buy a replacement tip section although you shouldn't have to with a new rod. Let us know what type of packaging the tip arrives in. I'm curious as to what they use.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:03 am

I use a TFO dropshot rod (6'9" ML), I paid like $120, they list for like $160 or something, it's been an amazing rod, cork has held strong, etc. Pretty sensitive too. Just really hard to find. At one point they even made a 6'3" Light casting rod, god I wish I had bought one.

nikbrewer
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by nikbrewer » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:08 am

I have (2) of the teton rods. I broke the tips myself, so i just ordered 3 replacements last year to save on shipping

I like to piece rods. Can you guys direct me to a good place to purchase the rods you are recommending?

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:41 pm

Majorcraft Benkei L
http://www.plat.co.jp/shop/catalog/prod ... -2pcs.html

Kuying Conqueror L
https://m.aliexpress.com/item/324060206 ... 2406020673

Kuying Topcaster ML
https://m.aliexpress.com/item/328216282 ... 2821628237

If you post a want to buy add in the user for sale section you can probably track down a Major Craft Corrza L BFS 2pc for under $100 shipped. A lot of guys picked up that rod when it was on blowout on Plat for $77 + shipping. I regret not getting one at the time.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:00 pm

PM me. I might be able to help you out. ;)
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:07 pm

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:37 pm

Warhawk wrote:Tip section broke, i just got an email from them.

I suppose I’ll pay the $18 for a new tip, but I don’t much like being called a liar.
Lincoln xu: Dear friend.
good night.
thanks for your patient waiting.Also we are sorry about that.
Let me explain all as below :
We are sure there are 100% no any defect before sending out the parcel, Also we have 2 teams to check pack and deliver every day for hundreds of orders.
we could be responsible for the damaged during transporting.
Please forgive my rudeness there is no any proof to prove it defected because it was good when delivered. For example, we cannot blame the car supplier when the driver has the car accident, correct?

However, in order to cooperate with you for long time, we'd like to offer you a new rod tip of it as long as you pay the freight 18USD for it.

thank you for all understanding and support.
I do not like the two Kuying rods I own - a Top Caster and a Leadership - complete garbage IMO. A frail rod and a rude seller does not help... Never ever Kuying again.
Good luck to you with your rod.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:03 am

mark poulson wrote:Check out BPS cranking rods:
https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/bass-pr ... asting-rod
From my experiences, too long ago, with stream fishing, I would suggest short and cheap. You are not going to need really long casts, and you are going to beat up your equipment.

Warhawk
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Warhawk » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:00 am

Another message from China
dear,

now the stocks of TTS662L are over. so cannot purchase anymore. Im not sure the date of next new batch comes.

I suggest to refund you to your PAYPAL at first.
then you could buy it in the future. dear
So, I’ve started claim with paypal to get my money back.

No more Kuying for me

I have a couple of Pflueger light action casting rods, cheapies, but I’ll bet they will outdo this Kuying junk. And the price is right.