Megabass fmj vs valdiva

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Dustys60
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 222
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:06 am

Megabass fmj vs valdiva

Postby Dustys60 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:37 pm

I found myself with too many reels and not enough rods so I have decided that I have a major problem. I am torn between these two rods. They would be used for trig jigs and frogs. I have a perfect pitch and love it for both applications. I also have a flipping special that I use but find the length a little cumbersome when pitching tight quarters. So I usually start the year with fluro on the pp than change to braid as frog season comes. So what I am trying to figure out is should I get the valdiva and use it as the dedicated frog rod and keep the pp for pitching or get the fmj and leave the pp as the frog rod? Sorry for the long post.

Bass1980
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 818
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:33 pm

Re: Megabass fmj vs valdiva

Postby Bass1980 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:34 pm

Valdiva is 7'6 so it's not a short rod either. I don't have that rod but I do have the FMJ and XXPP. The power is similar but the XXPP has a softer tip. If you want to pitch in tight quarters the FMJ would do handle it nicely. I don't pitch in tight quarters but I use my FMJ on 1/2oz Trig into milfoil. Rod is nice and light for the power at 4.5oz.

Dustys60
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 222
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:06 am

Re: Megabass fmj vs valdiva

Postby Dustys60 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:15 am

Is there a noticable difference in sensitivity between the fmj and pp? I like the idea of the valdiva s extra length for launching frogs but I find sometime s that it is hard to get a hook in the fish if they are too far out. But when I use it to pitch up under over hangs the extra length sometimes get s in the way. I think my best bet would be to get the fmj and leave the pp for frogs.

User avatar
Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator
Posts: 4586
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:41 am
Location: NE Ohio

Re: Megabass fmj vs valdiva

Postby Tokugawa » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:41 pm

If you check around, most sensitivity reports for the FMJ are coming in highly favorable.

If you prefer shorter rods, then the FMJ and PP combo is the ticket. I have the Valdivia. It is more suited for long range with braid.

Bass1980
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 818
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:33 pm

Re: Megabass fmj vs valdiva

Postby Bass1980 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:51 pm

Sorry all the lakes I used the FMJ had soft mudd bottoms so never tested sensitivity for FMJ. I'll try to test it once lakes are thawed out. Yes its April 8 and still froze here.

User avatar
papabassin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 515
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:02 am

Re: Megabass fmj vs valdiva

Postby papabassin » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:37 am

I don't have the XXPP, but everything I've heard is that it is an absolutely fantastic frog rod. In general..If I needed a frog rod and a bottom contact stick and I was picking 1 Orochi XX and 1 USDM Destroyer...I would choose the USDM Destroyer for my bottom contact duties. Not to say that the Orochi XX's are not sensitive rods (especially for the money), but IMO the USDM Destroyer blanks are on another level with how crisp and responsive the blanks are. The FMJ is an amazing stick, one of my favorites. I'm always finding an excuse to pick it up. Have never desired more in the sensitivity department and great for T-Rigs and Jigs. Even though it can handle lighter rigs than expected, if you are in its wheelhouse it is an amazing pitching stick. Sorry for the winded response but the short answer for me would be the XXPP and FMJ. I can't imagine you'd be disappointed going that route.

User avatar
Cristo
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 837
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:13 am
Location: The Dusty Basin

Re: Megabass fmj vs valdiva

Postby Cristo » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:26 pm

Awesome this thread will help take a load off mr. GW as I had questions about these two rods in particular. Maybe you gents can chime in how do you feel about these two rods the Valdivia and the FMJ as far as submerged grass. Out in our region the grass should be coming in pretty thick again but it's generally submerged, shallow to deep but regardless we get in the weeds pretty good so again in short how does anyone feel about the performance in that regard with braids preferably or even fluorocarbon thanks guys! We get some occasional mats but I'm not too interested in about that more interested in the Suburban stuff I apologize I don't know the species maybe I can get back to you guys on that if that's extremely important.
"I don't keep track of time, otherwise time will keep track of you" .....Cambo

User avatar
Cristo
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 837
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:13 am
Location: The Dusty Basin

Re: Megabass fmj vs valdiva

Postby Cristo » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:27 pm

Lately I tend to be more of an exclusive guy, but practicality may overrule form on this one :big grin:
"I don't keep track of time, otherwise time will keep track of you" .....Cambo

User avatar
bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 4039
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 5:21 pm
Location: www.tackletrap.com
Contact:

Re: Megabass fmj vs valdiva

Postby bronzefly » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:53 pm

Dustys60 wrote:Is there a noticable difference in sensitivity between the fmj and pp? I like the idea of the valdiva s extra length for launching frogs but I find sometime s that it is hard to get a hook in the fish if they are too far out. But when I use it to pitch up under over hangs the extra length sometimes get s in the way. I think my best bet would be to get the fmj and leave the pp for frogs.


Yes, the FMJ is clearly more sensitive than the Perfect Pitch, first or second generation, in my hands. It's an absolutely fantastic jig and plastics rod first and foremost. Leave the XX Perfect Pitch for frog duties - it's excellent at those, and is more than capable with bottom contact, but it's not as good as the US Destroyer FMJ...

Despite being labeled as a frog rod, which wasn't the best primary description of this rod in my opinion, the Valdiva is a much better big jig/deep water jig/carolina rig bottom contact rod than a frog rod for me. Sure, it can handle frogs in heavy cover nicely, but the Perfect Pitch does a great job too, but isn't as good with deep water jig fishing as the Valdiva...
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

wilddog66
Angler
Angler
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:23 pm

Re: Megabass fmj vs valdiva

Postby wilddog66 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:15 pm

bronzefly wrote:
Dustys60 wrote:Is there a noticable difference in sensitivity between the fmj and pp? I like the idea of the valdiva s extra length for launching frogs but I find sometime s that it is hard to get a hook in the fish if they are too far out. But when I use it to pitch up under over hangs the extra length sometimes get s in the way. I think my best bet would be to get the fmj and leave the pp for frogs.


Yes, the FMJ is clearly more sensitive than the Perfect Pitch, first or second generation, in my hands. It's an absolutely fantastic jig and plastics rod first and foremost. Leave the XX Perfect Pitch for frog duties - it's excellent at those, and is more than capable with bottom contact, but it's not as good as the US Destroyer FMJ...

Despite being labeled as a frog rod, which wasn't the best primary description of this rod in my opinion, the Valdiva is a much better big jig/deep water jig/carolina rig bottom contact rod than a frog rod for me. Sure, it can handle frogs in heavy cover nicely, but the Perfect Pitch does a great job too, but isn't as good with deep water jig fishing as the Valdiva...


Spec-wise the FMJ appears to be much more powerful than the 873 CRR I’m using now. How do they compare sensitivity-wise?

User avatar
bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 4039
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 5:21 pm
Location: www.tackletrap.com
Contact:

Re: Megabass fmj vs valdiva

Postby bronzefly » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:43 am

wilddog66 wrote:Spec-wise the FMJ appears to be much more powerful than the 873 CRR I’m using now. How do they compare sensitivity-wise?


In my hands, the FMJ is very close to some of the NRX models in terms of sensitivity. It's that good. It is a bit more powerful than the CRR 873, but it's also much better balanced.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Dustys60
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 222
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:06 am

Re: Megabass fmj vs valdiva

Postby Dustys60 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:24 pm

I got the fmj ordered, thank you Gary.

User avatar
bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 4039
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 5:21 pm
Location: www.tackletrap.com
Contact:

Re: Megabass fmj vs valdiva

Postby bronzefly » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:32 pm

Dustys60 wrote:I got the fmj ordered, thank you Gary.


Yes sir, thank you! Please advise us all on your thoughts about the Valdiva if you like. The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, whichever it may be!!
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap


Return to “Rods”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: freelancer27 and 1 guest