Dobyns DX746 or DX795 for Deep Water + Heavy Jigs

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
TheBassinPanda
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Dobyns DX746 or DX795 for Deep Water + Heavy Jigs

Post by TheBassinPanda » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:58 pm

So this is a rather odd question but I've been scratching my head for awhile trying to see what I should do.

I need a rod or two to help me fish Lake Baccarac in Mexico, where 1oz jigs + 7" senkos as trailers were the king of producing the big bites. I visited Baccarac in Dec '17 for the first time and I caught some 9s and 7s using the 1oz jig and + 7" senko as a trailer, quite ridiculous. All the big fish were caught rather deep, at least 50 ft of water. I was using a Kistler Helium 3 7'3" Heavy Action, X Fast rod. The rod did good but I feel like I want a much nicer rod for my next trip coming up in Oct 2018.

That being said, I've always been a big of Dobyns rods and feel like I want to try their DX line. I called Dobyns direct and spoke to one of their staff and he recommended either a DX 746 or even the DX 795. I do know around that time of year it's going to be fairly warm with possible 100 deg F days and the bass that were caught around that time were around 60ft deep while some were caught even deeper. The Dobyns staffer said he was leaning towards the DX 795 because of how deep I'd be fishing the heavy jigs.

I wanted to ask you guys as well and get some feedback before I make my decision.

Thanks!

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Dobyns DX746 or DX795 for Deep Water + Heavy Jigs

Post by DavidSA » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:46 am

You need to define nicer ;) I don't like the Dobyns as well as that HE3 7'3H you have. However, they might feel slightly better throwing such a heavy rig. I have Powell 795 and 775. Neither quite as sensitive as the HE3 but both would do very well with the big jig and trailer. I'd probably rig it on the 775 first because I find I like the slightly faster actions for my bottom bouncing.

For nicer looking and as sensitive, you might want to do some searches on Megabass

TheBassinPanda
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by TheBassinPanda » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:46 am

DavidSA wrote:You need to define nicer ;) I don't like the Dobyns as well as that HE3 7'3H you have. However, they might feel slightly better throwing such a heavy rig. I have Powell 795 and 775. Neither quite as sensitive as the HE3 but both would do very well with the big jig and trailer. I'd probably rig it on the 775 first because I find I like the slightly faster actions for my bottom bouncing.

For nicer looking and as sensitive, you might want to do some searches on Megabass
The Kistler is a great sensitive and strong rod but I don't like the micro guides on it and I feel its a bit heavier than it should be. I wanted a tad longer rod that is just as nice and sensitive. I've been told and read that the Dobyns DX line is quite sensitive and well balanced.

I actually have a Megabass FMJ but I don't want to take them to Mexico in a rod tub bumbling around and fear it might get lost or broken. I rather get a Dobyns DX line because I know if something does happen I can get it replaced pretty easily and cheaply.

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:26 am

they are well balanced but will be 1.5 to 2oz heavier then the Kistler you have which on my scale is 4.4oz. check the rod weight sticky in this forum and you likely find the exact weights.

to own, I got my first dobyns rod in November. I got a graphite 7'6 crankbait rod. balance is relatively poor which I think relates to a short grip. Weight is like 5.4oz. Does not feel that heavy in hand though.

lots of nice posts on the DX795. search is your friend. Let me thought this out as well. I did not think the dobyns was differentiated enough from the Powel 795 or 775 in my mind and I was able to pick up the Powell for $125. I keep them in my shack in Florida and use them frequently. They are not my NRX or Zbone quality rods but if they break or stolen, I'm not out much.

p.s. the Powel 3d 795 is a 5oz rod and balances perfectly with nothing more then a reel. I do think you will find the Dobyns to be almost 1oz more.

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:14 pm

Dx795, you want the extra length. I use mine for 1oz jigs, paired with a Zillion Type R, 65lb braid.
Get your kids hooked on fishing, and they'll never have any money for drugs or alcohol.

TheBassinPanda
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by TheBassinPanda » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:51 am

zodiak311 wrote:Dx795, you want the extra length. I use mine for 1oz jigs, paired with a Zillion Type R, 65lb braid.
Oh nice to know you actually use it to toss 1oz jigs too! Thanks for the quick and short reply.

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:56 pm

TheBassinPanda wrote:
zodiak311 wrote:Dx795, you want the extra length. I use mine for 1oz jigs, paired with a Zillion Type R, 65lb braid.
Oh nice to know you actually use it to toss 1oz jigs too! Thanks for the quick and short reply.
Np!
Get your kids hooked on fishing, and they'll never have any money for drugs or alcohol.